Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-15-2014, 07:28 PM   #1
Rent over towing Auto, and RPI

Hello, are there any full timers that rent their auto instead of Towing, and What advantages do you see.
Are there any RPI members out there? would like here your experience with them. Also would like hear about other Membership Groups.

Bearhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2014, 08:07 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm not a full-timer, but if I were I'd definitely have a toad. Once you get all set up in a campground and connected to water, electric, TV, sewer, it would be too annoying to have to break camp to run to the store for a loaf of bread or whatever. Lots of times you might be camping in an area where rent vehicles are not easy to come by. For our first couple of trips in our RV we did not tow, but it didn't take long for us to remedy that situation.

Sorry, but I don't know what "RPI" is so I can't comment.

Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:29 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
I opt for towing 4 down rather than rent. It's nice, as SarahW says, to have a car readily available for shopping and especially exploring. I can go 46 mpg in my toad as opposed to 10 in my RV. Renting isn't always easy and it takes time to pick up the car or have it delivered and then drive and drop off the person that brought to you. As a full timer, it wouldn't take too many days or weeks of rentals to become very expensive. We park for 5 days and explore for at least 4 of them in almost every place we visit.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:31 PM   #4
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
The first time I took a trip in my second motorhome I did rent one in Orlando. They were very nice, brought it to the campground, took me back when done. But all they had was a minivan and I didn't need a van. They did modify the price, but if I had moved elsewhere would have had to do it all over again.

Hubby insisted I have one, I was afraid I couldn't tow it, but he fixed the hookups and I bought a stick shift Saturn Vue used and got used to it. Now I wouldn't be without one. Also it wasn't cheap to rent.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:12 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Rented for the first year or so. Just became a PITA getting to the rental car agency or finding one that would deliver like Enterprise. Then repeat the process to drop it off.

Also not having a toad caused me to pass up a lot of side trips along the way to my destination.

Towing 4 down now.
US Navy Vet, Liberty Tree Member of Oath Keepers, NRA & VFW Life Member, Alaska EMT.
2009 Safari Cheetah 40 SKQ
2009 Winnebago Chalet 231CR
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:39 AM   #6
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I rented a few times before I finally got a new towed.. I have a few considerations.

My last rental was over Memorial Day Weekend.. It cost me nearly 400 dollars (Well over 400 with gas, but I put a lot of miles on that Jeep).

The reason the cost was so high is I had to buy Insurance.. You see,, Both Michigan and South Carolina the insurance laws say if you rent a car, and you already have an automobile that is insured, the insurance you have extends to the rental for a period of days.. (I won't say how many days). But NATIONWIDE who insures my motor home says it is not an automobile (Humm, Engine, Transmission, Drive Shaft, Differential, Automobile license plate, Headlights, Tail lights, all the other car stuff, How can they say it is not an automobile? I dont know but I do knwo I'm shopping for a new insurance company).

This adds big time to the rental cost. (But it sure cuts down on the turn in time).

My new towed.. INCLUDING modifications to tow it, 4500. And with the savings in gasoline over driving the MH to Church and the store,, Has nearly paid for itself (Got it in September). already.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:22 PM   #7
We rented vehicles on several trips and the cost was getting out of hand. So we decided to set up the wife's old Durango as our TOAD. Being that it is an older vehicle, if anything happens to it, no big lose. Yes the cost was a couple thousand dollars to set the vehicle up, but we will recover that in a couple trips. By now, having our own vehicle, we can stop an take side trips when ever we want, do not have to worry about dog hair in the vehicle as it is our vehicle and if anything happens to the MH on the road, we still have transportation. While we may loose a little on the MPG on the MH, so be it, that is just the name of the game. This last trip to the 'lower 48' was a much better trip just by having our own vehicle.
I would recommend getting a TOAD, BUT make sure that it is one that can be towed 4 down.
2009 38' Diplomat
CSM- retired, wife as co-pilot
Reka & Ali providing security (our 2 labs)
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:32 PM   #8
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
We do not have a toad. We plan ahead when possible and either rent, use public transportation, walk, ride our bikes or when we camp close to home, my wife drives one of our cars. We are not fulltime. I have reserved a rental ahead and picked it up on the way to the campground. If we were fulltime we might do it differently
2016 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:34 PM   #9
We full-time and have a 300cc Kymco scooter in our cargo trailer. It's handy for running to the store and whatnot. When we feel like we really need a car, we've used Enterprise. The cost of a toad, insurance and license versus occasional rental doesn't seem to pencil out.

We've only been full-timing for six months. Our thoughts on this may change, we'll see.
2003 Alpine Coach 40MDTS - 400HP Cummins ISL
Can Am Spyder Roadster
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:58 PM   #10
Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We rented several times. when at the Balloon Festival we had to pay over 500 dollars for 1 week rental. We began towing after that. Once you get used to towing it isn't a big deal. RPI, we've been members for several years. Many of the RV parks listed are not listed by Passport America. RPI rates of 10-12 bucks a night is good. We are also members of Coast to coast and get a 10 buck rate. there is an overlap and many of RPI RV Parks are also in C-2-C listing. We keep renewing so because we use it. safe travels... ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:11 PM   #11

We joined Beachwood (KM Resorts) in Washington and a couple of years ago added RPI. I have found that for us that RPI is not that good of a deal as many of the parks that we have checked out when on trips are literally dumps. Or they are not in the right places or they have too many seasonal restrictions, etc. I plan to drop RPI before the next dues are payable as we don't get value for it.
I am considering Passport America but that may also be hit an miss.

If anyone has comments about RPI vs Passport America vs Camp Coast to Coast it would be gratefully received.

Beth, Lee and Buster (AKA Busticator, 14# King of All Pomeranians - Protector of His People)
2007 40' HR Ambassador & 2005 CR-V
ballard770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:27 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Originally Posted by Koop View Post
We full-time and have a 300cc Kymco scooter in our cargo trailer. It's handy for running to the store and whatnot. When we feel like we really need a car, we've used Enterprise. The cost of a toad, insurance and license versus occasional rental doesn't seem to pencil out.

We've only been full-timing for six months. Our thoughts on this may change, we'll see.
I would think the cost of rental, plus you would need their insurance, would be high. But I guess if you use the scooter for running to the store, it might work out over time. Just inconvenient if it is raining. We have an older model which serves us well. It has been beat up a time or two on the tow dolly, but I think it is cheaper to tow. We have not taken car a time or two and rented and it just doesn't save us enough to be worth the trouble. We have been full-time for 3 years now.
Brenda and Frank, FTers, Zebulon, NC
Raisin our mixed hound and our cat BooBoo.
2004 37' Holiday Rambler Vacationer
bsirby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:29 PM   #13
American Coach Owners Club
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Sorry, but I don't know what "RPI" is so I can't comment.
Me thinks, Resort Parks International. Resort Parks International - RPI
Jan and Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:21 PM   #14
Country Coach Owners Club
never leave without the toad

I recently made a trip to see grand kids , dw got excited and flew down ahead of me. She rented a small suv when she got there, so I left toad home. on the way down 2 day trip starter went out on coach and sure needed a way to get around. it is too easy to spend 10 minutes to hook it up. besides the fact that a week rental cost us about 750. when coach moves so does toad. just a thought

Richard & Marika ,
40' Country Coach Intrigue
gutsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote