Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2018, 05:38 PM   #1
M2D

Rental RVs

We have been traveling the US and Canada for three months. We spent two weeks in Alaska.

We have seen many more rental units than during our past travels. Many of the people are from France, Germany and just today from the Netherlands.

One night when doing the last walk of the night with the dog I came upon a rental class C with a nice but confused family from Brazil inhabiting it. Actually they made me laugh as the driver said that "we are from Brazil and do not know what to do."

We were in Watson Lake on the Alaska HW. It was about ten at night but of course still light out. The office was closed and they were wondering what to do and also asking how much it cost to stay the night. I explained that they should choose a spot and then go see if there were directions on the door about registering after the office is closed. I explained that often they tell you to just come to the office in the morning to pay.

It seems as though there are lots of rental units available in some parts of the US and in Canada. There are very few so far as we know available in New England where we live so we were surprised to see so many.

We could not help but be a little concerned that it was a rising trend in these days where campgrounds are pretty full. We have made reservations for every stop this trip. Several CGs had No Vacancy signs up soon after we checked in for the night.

Have any of you noticed more rental units than in the past?

Michele and Mark
M2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2018, 05:55 PM   #2

We rented a class C 20 years ago to tour from Seattle to N. Cal from Cruise America. RV rental popularity seems to be growing but so is the general population growing.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:09 PM   #3

Literally hundreds of them on our just completed trip to Badlands, Custer, Rushmore, Cody, Yellowstone, and Tetons. Almost all of them were being used for campground purposes and as the primary sightseeing vehicle (i.e. almost none had toads).

I will say I saw very few scary or dangerous situations, which kind of surprised me in a good way.
Pete
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:33 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
There were at least 5 places in Anchorage when I lived there that rented RVs. Lots of people like to fly into Anchorage and rent rather than driving the Alcan.

I bought my first RV from from Great Alaskan Holidays Motorhome Rentals in Anchorage.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:22 PM   #5

Many, many rental RVs in the west. Mostly Cruise America or El Monte. We see them every day. Last year at the KOA in Flagstaff we saw a caravan of 15 rental class C's with French tourists traveling together throughout the west. They are everywhere in the west. You may not see them out East because when international tourists think of America, they think of the western US, especially the desert.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:31 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I agree in that we see more out west then in the east. Most are visitors from other countries and are exploring our country. Usually very nice folks but some are clueless We have had some interesting conversations with them around the campfire.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:03 AM   #7

At Lake Powell, I've got 2 El Monte RV Cs behind me, and 3 Cruse America Cs next to me (same extended family) just left early this morning.

At the Grand Canyon, they were everywhere like flys on fresh dog poo.....

Good thing is, like flys, they never land in one spot for very long and they often provide a bit of "entertainment" .
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:18 AM   #8

I also have seen them all over the interstate. does anyone know if the rental units are any different than the average RV you would buy off the lot ? do they upgrade the suppenion (sumo's ?) do they upgrade the brakes ? I ask because alot of people who rent RV's have no experience driving one.
riverforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:00 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Rental RVs

We saw many while visiting Yosemite recently. There was a group from Switzerland. Our rv Park in Everett Wa. Is next to a Cruise America Store. They must have over 100 rental class C ‘s here.
Jeep trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverforest View Post
I also have seen them all over the interstate. does anyone know if the rental units are any different than the average RV you would buy off the lot ? do they upgrade the suppenion (sumo's ?) do they upgrade the brakes ? I ask because alot of people who rent RV's have no experience driving one.
From what I know talking to folks who have bought used ones they are a basic RV. Most of us do not bother with stuff like Sumo's so they do not get them either.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep trekker View Post
We saw many while visiting Yosemite recently. There was a group from Switzerland. Our rv Park in Everett Wa. Is next to a Cruise America Store. They must have over 100 rental class C ‘s here.

Amtrack train runs a route (Empire Builder) from Chicago to Everett, WA and Cruise America will pick you up at the train station. We took a Class C along the coast to N. CA redwoods which ended up being a 10 day vac. It's a little pricey, but a great way for a family on limited time to see a big part of the USA.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:28 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverforest View Post
I bought a rental when I lived in Alaska, they are the most basic of basic. Wheny0u buy one they added the awning, rear ladder and hubcaps. I added backup camera and awnings over the windows.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:41 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
On both our 2016 Alaska and 2017 Yellowstone trips a lot of rentals (Class C's). I also came onto families from Europe who bought a used RV here in the states, plan to use it for 6 months or a year and sell it. Or new a RV in the US, fly over and travel for a few months, put it in storage. And fly back again later.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:44 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
On both our 2016 Alaska and 2017 Yellowstone trips a lot of rentals (Class C's). I also came onto families from Europe who bought a used RV here in the states, plan to use it for 6 months or a year and sell it.
The Danes, members here did that, bought a used coach in the US with the intention of extended travel the planned to sell it. Haven't seen them around in quite some time

Tags
rental, rvs