RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2019, 11:09 AM   #1

Rental units in Alabama ????

Hello iRV2 members,

Simple question : I reside in the Birmingham, Alabama area and am looking for a recommendation for obtaining a rental RV . Cruise America does not cover the State of Alabama and finding a rental unit is difficult at best. Im aware of Outdoorsy but was wanting to find , if possible, a commercial operation if possible.
Thank You,
Steve

Norvyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2019, 05:05 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Googling 'alabama rv rental' found several places, e.g. Bankston RV (sales & rental), Gearbox Rentals, Gulf State RV Rentals, etc.

https://www.bankstonmotorhomes.com/rv-rentals
https://www.gearboxrentals.com/

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:37 PM   #3

RV rental

On I-20 below Bessemer 2 or 3 miles from where I-20 and I-459 split there is a RV rental place, I thought it was Cruise America but maybe not. You can see it from I-20 on the east side of the highway on an access road.
Tooth Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:25 PM   #4

Thank You -- I'll try the Google route one more time. I did confirm with Cruise America that they definitely do not have a site anywhere in Alabama.
Thanks for replying to my post !!
Steve
Old 09-09-2019, 11:28 PM   #5

Hey Toothdoc,
I think the dealer you are refering to near Bessemer is Cooleys RV --- I drove by the place Sunday when they were closed but honestly the dealerships was small and looked very rough and thats being nice.
Steve
Old 09-10-2019, 06:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norvyet View Post
Thank You -- I'll try the Google route one more time. I did confirm with Cruise America that they definitely do not have a site anywhere in Alabama.
Steve
You don't think it's anything to do with Talladega Racetrack, huh?

Campers used to take every UHaul van truck for 300 miles into the racetrack for the two big races per year.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:06 PM   #7

Cruise America, 2253 Decatur Hwy, Gardendale, AL, 205-631-0042

Gearbox Rentals, 1620 Carson Rd., Birmingham, 205-379-0027
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:42 PM   #8

Hey BamaMan,
After I did a little Googling it appears there's a dealership in Huntsville ( Bankston RV ) that advertsises rentals. It's interesting that Birmingham is the largest city in the state but doesn't have a single RV rental place.
As for Talladega I used to attend regularly many years ago and yes - you see everything and anything with wheels in the campground area on race weekends.Coolest thing I ever saw at a Talladgea 500 was a dude that parked his pickup in the infield campground , got out , and proceeded to set up a 10 x 12 area rug , lazy boy chair , end table and lamp . When asked why the set up he replied " that's how I'm usually set up when Im at home watching the race!!......only in Alabama
Old 09-11-2019, 11:14 AM   #9

Check outdoorsy.com and rvshare.com.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:49 PM   #10

TwoGypsies,

Cruise America is no longer in Alabama -- they no longer have any business sites anywhere in the state per my call to Cruise America. The nearest Cruise America dealers are in Georgia or Tennessee.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 09-11-2019, 04:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norvyet View Post
TwoGypsies,

Cruise America is no longer in Alabama -- they no longer have any business sites anywhere in the state per my call to Cruise America. The nearest Cruise America dealers are in Georgia or Tennessee.

Thanks,
Steve
.... just wondering if you called the main nationwide corporate number or the local number in Gardendale from the above link. From the picture on the web site it looked like a lot of RVs parked in the rear with cars in front. Maybe it's a different Cruise America.

..... What about Gearbox Rentals?
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:48 PM   #12

Twogypsies,
I called the Cruise America corporate office in Litteleton, Colorado and they confirmed they no longer have a presence in Alabama.

As for Gearbox Rentals they only rent van type vehicles -- no motorhomes or trailers.
Thanks,
Steve

Tags
rental