Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-17-2013, 06:27 AM   #1
Renting an RV

Based on the advice from forum members I am considering an RV rental.
Cruise America dominates an internet search for RV rentals.
In checking out some reviews on this company I came across tons of negative reports.
(Cruise America Reviews. Buying guides & consumer product reviews at Epinions.com)

Please let us know if you recently rented an RV and if you would recommend that rental company. We are willing to travel to another state for the rental.

twosmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2013, 06:30 AM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Try Camping World. They have some nice looking rentals in a variety of sizes.

Randy and Tina & pups; Cinnamon, Cookie & Coco
2010 Winnebago Journey 34Y
Freightliner / Cummins 340hp ISB, 2014 Ford Focus
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:25 PM   #3
Before purchasing my MH, I rented a Class A to make sure that's what I wanted. My rental was not from either of the companies mentioned. No matter who you rent from I would strongly recommend keeping really good records and closely reading the rental contract. Our rental started fine, but became a disaster, and I didn't have any luck contesting the charge through my credit card company, as they viewed it as a quality of service dispute. I filed a complaint with BBB, and it took over a year, but I was eventually refunded 4 days of my 7 day rental fee by an arbitrator, which is what I'd argued for. I have no doubt that the records I kept (phone calls, who I spoke to, what they said, etc) were the deciding factors that allowed me to win at arbitration.
2013 Thor A.C.E. 29.2
SeaDoo Speedster 150 HO or 2015 Chevy Colorado Z71 toad, depending on season.
Moonshine94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #4
Tiffin Owners Club
I have seen what those Cruise America rentals go through at the Nascar races. It is a wonder they get back to the agency in one piece. It is unbelievable what people will do when it isn't theirs! I have never rented but if I did it would be a place like Camping World simply because they have the facility to fix things. As stated, read the contract, but also make sure they show you how to operate every system (that way you know it works at the start).
Mel (Melanie) and Harry
2009 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:02 PM   #5
Of there is a SunShare RV near you they normally have higher quality units. Also, a lot well some dealers have rentals.
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #6
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Where are you based? More info might help.
2007 Adventurer 38T w/
sway & trac bars, Koni FSDs and SafeT+
2006 Jeep Liberty toad
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check Craigslist for individuals and other companies with rentals.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #8
Ive never rented an RV but a close friend once did - after a few bad experiences they bought their own small Class-C. I can't recall all the problems they encountered or where they rented the RVs from but ROACHES were one of the biggest problems. Dirty ovens/stoves and cockroaches.
Retired. RVing with one husband and five cats.
1999 32' Fleetwood Southwind Class-A. Ford V10.
RanCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:03 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We rented a few years back before we bought our first m/h. Flew into Dallas and toured Texas for two weeks. We rented from a smaller company and had no issues. We laughed at the signs and notices throughout the rig but surely respect why they are necessary. We found it a little stressful being in something we didn't own but know a lot of folks sure don't have that same respect. It's a good way to try before taking the plunge. Enjoy!
Phil & Heather
& Olaf the boxer
2008 Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:38 PM   #10
When I saw all the negative reviews for these chain operations I chose to rent from an independent operator instead. In general the family owned and operated businesses provide much better service than the chain operations wherever I have lived or traveled. I use a chain only as a last resort for any services and an RV rental is very much a service.

I would do phone interviews with independent RV rental operators and find out about what they provide in the way of preparation services (some will even stock an RV with basic groceries), how often they turn over their vehicles, checking back in procedure, and deposits, and all fees charged.

The ones I have rented from would replace their RV's after two seasons so that they were always under warranty. It saved them having to maintain a repair shop and have a mechanic on the payroll and as a renter it reduced the risk of being stranded with a broken RV in the middle of our trip.

Strongly recommend renting for two reasons. Great way to get experience before buying. Saves a lot of time when you can fly a thousand miles or more to where you really want to be and then spend 90% of your vacation days in that part of the country and not in traveling there and back. Also saves in fuel and food and camping costs.

elkhornsun is offline   Reply With Quote