Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2016, 05:17 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Renting Out Your RV

I'm looking for information from anyone who has had personal experience with renting out their RV through an online service like RVShare. I'd like to know your feelings about what you actually experienced, both good and bad.

I'm REALLY hoping to avoid opening a huge can of worms with people who have never done so chiming in with their opinion about if renting is wise or not. While that would be a valuable question to ask, it is not the question being asked now.

First I'm trying to decide if it's a viable option before determining if it's even a good idea. So please, keep you worms tightly canned until I post the second part of his question after, and if, I get an answer to the first part. Thanks in advance.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2016, 05:47 AM   #2

I would never never never even consider it. Not even to my best friend.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:26 AM   #3

A couple of years ago I rented out my RV. It was through a guy who had a number of older MHs which he rented out. He paid for the insurance, which I believe was around $90 something a month. He also had some time of ERS for the MHs.
My situation was rather unique in that I had already bought another MH, and the one I was renting out was an "extra", not my primary MH.
I think it was rented about 6 times. Every time it came back something was broken. I was lucky that other than the cracked shower tub, it was all small stuff. What I really didn't like was the amount of miles and generator hours that were put on the unit, while being rented. The first rental for 6( I think) days put 1,800+ miles and a bunch of hrs on the generator. That would have been OK, if they were paying for those miles and gen. use. His fee schedule was ridiculously low, which was the main reason I stopped renting, and sold the unit.
There is a company that rents out privately owned high end MHs, just a few miles from where I live. When my son was working for an RV repair shop, close to that rental spot, they got a steady stream of vehicles from the rental company, with body damage and what not.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:30 AM   #4

I think it's an option if you are the 'landlord' type and are willing to understand the risk versus reward.
I think the major risks are whether the renter has any prior history with an rv, driving an rv, usage and understanding of the workings of all systems, etc.
The reward might include the financial upside, minus the wear and tear of course.

I think most here would think that it's really risky, but there are several dealerships around the country that rent RVs, including diesel pushers, and apparently know how to manage it. I stopped by one the other day and saw several higher line DPs, such as the Journey and AllegroRed, which fetch $3,500.00 per week, with 100 miles per day maximum, and not including diesel of course. That's a lot of cash.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:27 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm very aware of the risk, I'm wondering about the rewards.

Perhaps some detail of my situation will give some perspective. We are looking at buying a new rig. I currently own a 1999 Winnebago Chieftain which has been lovingly pampered since I've bought it 3 years ago, as did the original owner. Other than some decals peeling at the edges, the thing is near showroom condition. Every smudge has been removed and every bell and whistle is functioning like new.

Of course that all means nothing to the dealership on trade in, it's over 10 years old and is considered a "wholesale trade in." I could try to sell it direct to a new buyer, but I live in the Phoenix area and to say this is a bloated market would be an understatement. So I'm considering unconventional options.

While I'm obviously emotional attached to the machine, and would love it to go to a buyer who will continue to care for it, reality makes me admit her future will likely involve slow deterioration, so the idea of renting it out has become less shocking as I consider what's possible. Of course we talked about just keeping her, but I'm sure everyone understands the lure of the shiny new machine.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:17 AM   #6

Good luck on whatever decision you come to.. its a shame you can't find a loving home for your beloved "old" rig... maybe you could put an ad in the classifieds here on IRV2..
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:19 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raining Star View Post
I'm very aware of the risk, I'm wondering about the rewards.
While I'm obviously emotional attached to the machine, and would love it to go to a buyer who will continue to care for it, reality makes me admit her future will likely involve slow deterioration, so the idea of renting it out has become less shocking as I consider what's possible. Of course we talked about just keeping her, but I'm sure everyone understands the lure of the shiny new machine.
I am not sure how far you are willing to take your coach for a rental program but my first RV was a rental thru the below company. I am not sure if they are nation wide but I was both impressed with the company and the quality of their selection. The one in OKC has its own repair facility and maintenance shop for work on the units. Just a thought for you to consider
RV Rentals in Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Missouri, New Mexico, Oklahoma,Texas and Utah!

good luck
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 04:50 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Expect it to get torn up. If you go with this attitude you will be fine renting your coach out. Do not expect a renter to take good care of it like you would
Old 04-05-2016, 06:33 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As a dealership, we are very experienced and know the pit falls and up sides to the rental game. We stopped renting motorhomes and disbanded our fleet. That says it all.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:19 PM   #10

If you ask me that's like letting some one sleep in your bed when when your not home never mind the damage they could cause I don't see any reward in it.. I've bought my first TT used tossed the mattress and wash inside from roof to floor and still felt weird that some own else slept in it
rbleau6885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:41 PM   #11

As the famous saying goes, "Drive it like a rental!".
Old 04-05-2016, 09:51 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I can't imagine even giving it a thought. I paid thru the nose to rent a unit that was but a fraction of the coach that I ultimately bought. It wouldn't be possible to charge enough to make it worth my while.

It takes hours and hours of effort to learn to drive a coach and operate all of house systems. The typical renter simply hasn't done the homework necessary to jump behind the wheel and drive off in most coaches today.