Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2018, 05:54 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by awol50 View Post
If you have a smaller class c, not an RV you really care about, maybe. A class A? Never. Way to complicated, longer, wider and more prone to damage.
Personally, I wouldn't rent a car to a stranger let alone any RV. Life is to short for that experience.
Why would you not care just because you have a smaller Class C? Personally, I care about everything I own.
I would never rent out my stuff. Loads of posts on this subject in this forum.
baraff is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2018, 05:59 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
Funny how it is a No Never reply yet there are companies that do it quite successfully. For a personal unit that you have a high emotional connection to and call your baby, probably not the best plan. If you run it like a business with appropriate deposits, inspections before and after, insurance, charge enough to cover wear and tear and the big one, depreciation, yes it is doable. I would plan on buying a new rig every three years and working with your accountant set it up as a business so all expenses can be written off. Best be handy as well so you can fix it quickly when it comes back to you with a broken cabinet door, a gouged floor, or worse. We own vacation rental property and renters don’t treat it the way we do. When we use it I tell my wife, “it’s a rental, not our home.” We set aside money from the rentals to pay for repairs. We see it as a cost of doing business.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This.

We own three MHs one is "ours", the other two are rentals. I charge an additional $500 deposit that is not refunded if there is any exterior, chassis or other damage. The $500 also 'buys' the renter an 8 hr driving course (mandatory) 'taught' by moi.

The second rental is for a select group of repeat customers - this is the best situation for all involved.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:14 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilburn View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This.

We own three MHs one is "ours", the other two are rentals. I charge an additional $500 deposit that is not refunded if there is any exterior, chassis or other damage. The $500 also 'buys' the renter an 8 hr driving course (mandatory) 'taught' by moi.

The second rental is for a select group of repeat customers - this is the best situation for all involved.
A common sense business like solution to a proposition most to seem to take emotionally.
Mat consider this myself when I buy my next rig.
Also may classify all as business expenditure revealing additional financial rewards.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:23 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Why would you not care just because you have a smaller Class C? Personally, I care about everything I own.
I would never rent out my stuff. Loads of posts on this subject in this forum.
Because many class C's are way smaller, fewer complicated systems and less expensive. Hence less likely to be damaged.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:10 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamaniac View Post
The consensus here is that the risk far outweighs the money. Usually if someone does rent they buy another unit to rent, never their own. And if someone mentions burning man, RUN!

Ya, Burning Man! That playa dust never, NEVER, goes away. A friend took his 35’ Class A up last year and he has had it detail three times to the time of almost $5k and still the dust is everywhere.
Mrb1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:02 PM   #34

Ask someone that rents out for Cruise America about the abuse their units take. Or ask someone that rents a home at a summer resort area. I know both and you could not pay me enough to rent mine!
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 10:23 PM   #35

Never. Not worth the headaches and potential problems or damage. This is our second home and we know how to use it and treat it well.
nancyanddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 04:08 AM   #36

We did that. It got abused. If you want to still use it, do not rent it out.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:47 AM   #37

Pretty much seems like we have a solid consensus here! Amen.

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 04:51 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
Pretty much seems like we have a solid consensus here! Amen.
I did not read all the responses. Just my own experience. I can give details......but you really don't want to know.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:15 AM   #39

I understand why someone would rent out their RV, but I personally would never do it. I just dont trust other people using my investment I've made.
Old 05-08-2018, 03:09 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
Big difference between a "company" and an "individual" which this thread was aimed at.
So the majority of the folks, including me, who said No Way is ACCURATE.

It's an apples and orange thing.
X2....Even if they didn't damage the MH on a regular basis, all it would take is an accident that involves a fatality to ruin you. I really don't think you can buy liability insurance that would cover you renting out your MH as an individual rather than a company. Imagine they have a blow out while traveling and it involves several vehicles, injuries and maybe even a fatality....do you really need the money that bad to take that gamble. A statement we always used in training "If it's predictable, it's preventable".

There is also a big difference in renting out a vacation home vs a MH. All people have lived in a house, which is less complicated to use, and you don't have to drive it anywhere. Anything they damage can be easily fixed and it's easier to identify the damage prior to renting to others. In a MH you may not now the extent of the damage if any until there is a major breakdown or issue.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 03:38 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
I want to say that RVshare has insurance that the renter pays that covers you... but I could be wrong.
Their insurance covers the Owner if the RV is "15 years old or newer, with a stated value of $200,000 or less, will automatically be approved for coverage whether motorhome or travel trailer...owners are provided $500,000 in liability coverage as well as comprehensive and collision coverage for the value of their RV up to $200,000. Owners also have the ability to transition to a program offering up to $1,000,000 in liability coverage."

That left us out. We have nearly identical Newmar DSDP 2000-2002. Bought and upgraded for less than $30,000 each.
Old 05-08-2018, 03:46 PM   #42

A couple months ago I was at a camp ground and a rental outfit dropped a trailer off. People came and did they ever use it up with big family. When they were done they just hit the road and left the door open, boy did the birds and squirrels have fun till it was picked up later in the day.