Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2015, 09:01 PM   #1

Renting out your RV concerns

Has anyone ever rented out their RV to make extra money? If they have...was it a good or bad experience. If you encountered any problems...what were they? Thanks for your help!
tincanrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2015, 10:00 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Would you consider renting out your car to a stranger? I'd rent out an exwife before I would my RV. My RV is more trustworthy and reliable.
Seriously, there are headaches with insurance. Your current insurance would be useless as your RV would become a commercial vehicle.
I would only consider it if I bought a new RV and was not trading in or selling my old RV. There are companies that will do it for you.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:02 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Even your loan (if you have one) could be in danger of being called in since your insurance would need to be changed and they should be notified. Some lenders won't loan on unit used as a rental.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:04 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Wouldn't do it......period.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:07 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I don't even loan my coach to my children!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:13 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I don't even loan my coach to my children!
Mine asked once, wife was first to say no followed quickly by me.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:19 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Over my dead body.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:57 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
No No No No.

We got our start by using the MH of one of my employees. It was a brand new Revolution LE and we were very, very careful of taking really good care of it. The more we used it, and the more we use the one we bought later, the more I realize how little I knew about the proper care of a MH and could have really screwed things up.
TexasTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:19 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
NO to renting, NO to friends that want to borrow her, NO to family that just want to see what RV'ing is like.

Matter of fact, when relatives visit our small home, we stay outside in the moho and give the relatives free reign on the house!

We have considered co-owning a larger RV with good friends, but after seeing what that did to 3 brothers that shared a boat, we decided against it.

We had friends going thru a divorce, they found a place that consigned RV's for sale, and in the interim also rented them out. Their moho was damaged, then the business went bankrupt. They went thru heck just to get the moho back, then had to deal with the repairs. Yuck.

Hard to explain, but I am very selfish when it comes to anybody wanting to do anything with the moho. Not sure why. It is what it is, though.

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:32 AM   #10

I had a boat a few years ago and my friend suggested to my boss I would rent it to him for a weekend. Didn't ask me ahead of time and I have no idea what motivated him to do something like that. Like the MH, the boat is something I took great pains to keep in shape and the last thing I'd ever do is loan or rent it out. Very uncomfortable moment examining to my boss why I would not rent it to him.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:34 AM   #11

All I can say is that I agree with everyone above. I have never understood why people would want to rent their coach out for a few extra dollars. Probably have to spend that money to fix the things that get damaged.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:39 AM   #12

I'm sure you see the already unanimous opinions above, but I would definitely agree with everyone else. I would NEVER trust anyone else to operate my RV. There are too many things that could go wrong, and I would never trust someone else to take care of it with the same TLC that I do.
RedRaider93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tincanrv View Post
Has anyone ever rented out their RV to make extra money? If they have...was it a good or bad experience. If you encountered any problems...what were they? Thanks for your help!
tincanrv
My dog?... YES
My wife?... occasionally
My coach?...NEVER
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:46 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Nope, I don't loan many things out anymore people don't take care of stuff at all. Heck I had a hard time letting people walk through and test drive my last MH when we sold it.