Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2019, 11:03 PM   #1

Repair or Avoid Roof Leaks

Seems the biggest problem is Roof Leaks. Is there a preventative means such as using Eternabond at the edges to keep from leaking. I am told by most RV'ers I have talked to say All RV typically have lousy leaking problems. Probably from the twisting and shaking they endure driving on the road.
Eternabond was one suggestion over all the seams. The other is something called The RV Armor Roofing System. Found at https://rv-armor.com/pricing/

Seems both are possible good preventative means The armor roof is much more expensive but perhaps a good long term solution if planning to live in it for a year like I am going to do.

Any comments?
jmrec100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2019, 10:59 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Some folks claim that Eternabond fixes everything and never leaks, but that hasn't been my experience. It's a great product and I use it for some things, but some joints on some RVs "work" enough to lose even an Eternabond seal. A friend's HR Endeavor is a case in point - the front cap seam needed repair every year whether he used caulk or Eternabond. Or both.

Despite the negative reports often seen here, I think that sealant (e.g. Dicor) works well and typically lasts years on most seams and joints. Many of the sealant seams on our 12 year old coach were still original when we sold it. A few, though, had been repaired multiple times.

Whether you use tape or sealant, the best preventive is regular inspection and touch-up as needed. If you have a seam or joint that seems to get a lot of stress and need regular care, consider cleaning it off and replacing with either tape or sealant. The original factory application may simply have been poorly done. However, it may also be that the RV construction is of poor quality in that place and it is a continuous trouble-spot. Not much to do about that.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 02:05 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use Dicor self leveling to fix small splits and voids around the fittings on the roof. Clean the area real well before hand.

Sometimes I paint on EPDM in a can around the sealing areas to help fill small voids I cannot see. Works well and application goes fast. Mix up a small batch and paint away.

The only time I would use tape is if there was a slice in the rubber, or I needed to hold down a solar cable or similar application.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:08 AM   #4

I was told there are different types of roof matrials used in RV and it's important to know that certain ones the sealant used either won't "stick" or will damage the roof. Is this true? What should I look for?
Any recommendation for brand or what to use? Does the Flex seal spray good for spot sals? Or any of the Lowes or Home Depot gallon roof sealants (like Henry''s etc) help or hurt?
Old 11-03-2019, 08:28 AM   #5

Our previous 1988 Itasca had a Home Depot roof coating applied by the previous owner. He gave me the partial 5 gallon bucket with the purchase. It worked but the downside was it would get chalky here in the Arizona sun and when it rained it would cause lots of white streaking down the sides of the coach. I would avoid it if possible.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 03:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrec100 View Post
I was told there are different types of roof matrials used in RV and it's important to know that certain ones the sealant used either won't "stick" or will damage the roof. Is this true? What should I look for?
Any recommendation for brand or what to use? Does the Flex seal spray good for spot sals? Or any of the Lowes or Home Depot gallon roof sealants (like Henry''s etc) help or hurt?
None will stick without proper cleaning and preparation.

Dicor does work well if instructions are followed.
Bipeflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 04:08 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Best bet is to visit the Dicor website for their recommendation. TPO and EPDM are different roof materials. Dicor makes stuff for both.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 04:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrec100 View Post
Seems the biggest problem is Roof Leaks. Is there a preventative means such as using Eternabond at the edges to keep from leaking. I am told by most RV'ers I have talked to say All RV typically have lousy leaking problems. Probably from the twisting and shaking they endure driving on the road.
Eternabond was one suggestion over all the seams. The other is something called The RV Armor Roofing System. Found at https://rv-armor.com/pricing/

Seems both are possible good preventative means The armor roof is much more expensive but perhaps a good long term solution if planning to live in it for a year like I am going to do.

Any comments?
We've never had a leak in any of our rv's, just have to stay on top of it. And we've had them all except for TT and class A. Only leak we ever had was from side window in truck camper. Removed them all and replaced seal although only one was leaking.
Rubirose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 04:48 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubirose View Post
We've never had a leak in any of our rv's, just have to stay on top of it. And we've had them all except for TT and class A. Only leak we ever had was from side window in truck camper. Removed them all and replaced seal although only one was leaking.

RV Armor is expensive, but guaranteed for life. For me that is the first thing that goes on a new RV.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 03:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
RV Armor is expensive, but guaranteed for life. For me that is the first thing that goes on a new RV.
Seems like a winner, and yes expensive. I got talked into buying a used RV by someone close, (hint hint). Such is life. LOL What a terrible drama it became. Roof leaked bad and found other bad issues. Made a good tax donation. So I'll finance in the Roof Protection.
And need to learn more about RV construction. The building material, (Aspel?), roof material used and what to clean and treat it for maintenance etc

Tags
air, leak, leaks, repair, roof