Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Repaired my A/C shroud!

My air conditioner shroud had developed several large cracks starting at the holes for the mounting screws and running up the plastic. I called Dometic and they wanted $88 plus $35 shipping for a new shroud. I checked with three dealers and they were the same price.

I'm pretty resourceful when it comes to saving money so I thought there must be a cheaper solution to this problem. I thought I remembered from my childhood days of building plastic model airplanes, ships, etc., that the glue was a special type that actually "fused" or "melted" the plastic parts together. I went to Hobby Lobby and bought a tube of Testors Cement for Plastic Models, their part # 3512. I called Testors company and they verified that the cement would indeed "fuse" the plastic.

I first used duct tape on the inside of the cracks to keep the two sides perfectly lined up. I then cleaned the top side with Acetone, waited for it to dry, then applied a liberal bead of the plastic cement along the top of the crack. I did not attempt to get any down in the crack. My original intent was to wait for the top side to cure, then remove the duct tape and apply the cement to the bottom side. After allowing 24 hours for the cement to fully cure I inspected and tested the joints. It was rock solid! I deliberately tried to break the pieces apart by applying a lot of pressure and it would not budge! The "Duck" brand duct tape was stuck so tight I could not easily pull it off so I decided to just leave it on the inside and depend on the outside bead of cement to bond the plastic. The cement is clear so the repairs will not be seen from the ground.

One caution if you decide to use this method. The cement is very thin and it will try to run off the joint. I repaired one crack at a time and propped the shroud up so the crack would be as level as possible. I think it would probably help if you store the tube of cement in a cool place, maybe even in the fridge, for a time before using it. I bought two tubes of cement which was a waste of money. One tube will go a long ways!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2013, 05:03 PM   #2

Great news!

Let me add some...

We had same problem with the used units we purchased, not wanting to spend crazy money and also being cheap...thrifty....

We had some vertical blind parts or leaves that were a flexible version of similar plastic, we used them for general patches.

We cut strips about 3/4 inch wide and using sprinkler pipe glue added the strip to the inside, the almost pure MEK from the hobby store would maybe been stronger but we had the pipe glue on hand.

Consider adding the strip, should be able to locate some, also use the 2 holes on the sides as it supports in the sides to reduce flexing

Old 03-11-2013, 05:32 PM   #3

6 years ago, I used fibergalss cloth, resin and hardener and patched the inside of the cracks. (marine/boat and auto body supplies).
I drilled out the holes for the screws and reinstalled the shrouds.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:52 PM   #4

Best product I have found is plast-aid,you can even make molds with it,good for above or below water and works on most materials.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:52 PM   #5

I wonder if JB Weld would also work for a repair like this. I know I have used it for a lot of repairs and it's great stuff.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:51 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by greezykid View Post
Best product I have found is plast-aid,you can even make molds with it,good for above or below water and works on most materials.
Where did you find that product? I did a lot of searching before getting back to the simple solution.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman CBB View Post
I wonder if JB Weld would also work for a repair like this. I know I have used it for a lot of repairs and it's great stuff.
I couldn't find any JB Weld that would dry clear. In fact, I looked at several products that would have done the job but would not dry clear. Also, you gotta mix it and I didn't like that.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
6 years ago, I used fibergalss cloth, resin and hardener and patched the inside of the cracks. (marine/boat and auto body supplies).
I drilled out the holes for the screws and reinstalled the shrouds.
That was my first thought, to repair it with fiberglass. I went to a friend of mine who is in the boat business and does fiberglass repairs to ask his opinion. He said yes, it will do it, but it's difficult to do unless you've worked with fiberglass before, and also it would have been pretty expensive.

I like the old Boy Scout saying "KISS" which is "keep it simple stupid". Works for me!

Old 03-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #9

It could be failure at the key stress points but more likely, the plastic shroud is just aging out--accordingly, it is probably going to crack somewhere else. I used some aluminum pipe strapping [the one with all the holes]and some pop rivets to reinforce all the locations where the shroud connects to the AC unit. Put the strapping on the inside of the shroud--the rivets hardly show on the outside. By spreading the stress points out across the shroud, you give the plastic a better chance to "age gracefully."
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
It could be failure at the key stress points but more likely, the plastic shroud is just aging out--accordingly, it is probably going to crack somewhere else. I used some aluminum pipe strapping [the one with all the holes]and some pop rivets to reinforce all the locations where the shroud connects to the AC unit. Put the strapping on the inside of the shroud--the rivets hardly show on the outside. By spreading the stress points out across the shroud, you give the plastic a better chance to "age gracefully."
That's a good idea that may prevent future cracking! Might take a little time, but us "old scouts" have a surplus of that!

Old 03-12-2013, 10:57 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
A friend on the "other" RV forum brought out an important point. I mentioned that I left the duct tape on the underside of the shroud instead of cementing it. If the tape is over the open fan area and it turns loose sometime down the road, it could get into the fan and cause a problem. In my case the cracks were around the side and no harm would be done if the the tape turns loose. If you use this method of repair and the cracks are over the open fan area, remove the duct tape and apply a bead of cement to the cracks on the underside of the shroud after the top side has completely cured.

Thanks d3500ram!

Old 03-12-2013, 11:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
That was my first thought, to repair it with fiberglass. I went to a friend of mine who is in the boat business and does fiberglass repairs to ask his opinion. He said yes, it will do it, but it's difficult to do unless you've worked with fiberglass before, and also it would have been pretty expensive.

I like the old Boy Scout saying "KISS" which is "keep it simple stupid". Works for me!

It's like a permenent reinforced band-aid on the inside, nothing on the outside, easy and inexpensive, (if you do it yourself).
Old 05-23-2013, 12:32 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I made the repairs on the underside with fiberglas; but it did not last but 12 months. Being new to fiberglas work; perhaps I did not prep the surfaces properly. I had used rubbing alcohol to degrease & I roughed-up the texture with 100 grit sandpaper prior to the patching.

Could someone with fiberglas experience chim in on how I can do it better the next time around?
Old 06-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #14

Joe,

Thanks for the information regarding Testors Cement. I just fixed both of our A/C shrouds.....several cracks in each of them.

The Testors worked like a charm. I was a little concerned at first because it looked as if the cement just wasn't drying/hardening. I finally left it alone, went on to another project, and when I checked it later in the day, it had dried hard as a rock.

Thanks again......and easy $2.99 fix!

Erin