Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2005, 07:13 AM   #1

Location: Pasadena, MD, USA (between Baltimore and Annapolis)
While traveling, has anyone ever had RV or vehicle repairs carried out at a truck stop repair shop, such as new brakes, oil change, "won't start", etc? I was wondering how reliable truck stop repair services were and if their prices were reasonable or did they charge "We've got you over a barrel" rates.

Thanks

Jack Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2005, 07:13 AM   #2

Location: Pasadena, MD, USA (between Baltimore and Annapolis)
While traveling, has anyone ever had RV or vehicle repairs carried out at a truck stop repair shop, such as new brakes, oil change, "won't start", etc? I was wondering how reliable truck stop repair services were and if their prices were reasonable or did they charge "We've got you over a barrel" rates.

Thanks

Jack Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 08:59 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I have found that most truck stops will not deal with the "small" diesels that we have in our trucks.
They may carry similar parts like oil filters and antifreeze and fuel filters and that's about it.
They do not often have tools "small" enough to work on these engines and the mechanics won't "fool" with them either.
Just my experience at a couple of places.
Chet
Old 04-17-2005, 01:21 PM   #4

Jayco Owners Club
Cummins shop in Sioux Falls, SD is SUPER. Great people. Fair. etc.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 05:20 PM   #5

Donavon, as are the ones in ElThe Cummins coach Net Paso, Cleveland, OH and Harrisburg, PA. From my understanding they are putting Coach Care into at least 10 of their facilities this year and the end goal is 50 shops with Coach Care. Those shops, in addition to their regular truck buiness will "cater" to RVs. If you want to learn more about Coach Care go to www.funroads.com, Ke, '04 DSDP
Old 04-17-2005, 07:46 PM   #6

Cummin's dealers/shops in Las Vegas and also in Bakersfield, CA will work on the 2500/3500 Dodge diesels. Salt Lake City Cummins is a real busy place. If necessary, call for an appt. Shop rates are comparable with Dodge dealers.
Jim Gehlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 08:29 PM   #7

Since you're talking about truck stop shops, and not dealer shops, I'll add my .02 worth.

About 7 years ago my pickup with 460 engine died on the interstate. The local truck stop, with 24 hour mechanic, installed a new alternator at 3 am. I was charged a fair price, the mechanic did a competent job, and all were happy.

<font color=blue>F250 Supercab</font>, <font color=#33ccff>Prowler 5ver,</font>,</font><font color=red> Colorado Springs CO</font>
RichB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 04:36 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
IMHO I don't think these shops feel they have any driver "over a barrel" as they deal with over-the-road tractors all the time as that is their business. Also if they can't work on your particular vehilce, I bet they know who does.

I've had my tractor and bus conversion worked on at truck stop repair centers. Never had a problem. (oil changes)

I even remember where I was on 9/11 ---- the automatic transmission oil pan had an old crack in it that had been fixed prior to me owning the bus. We spent the night in a truck stop and when we got up in the morning there was 10 qts of oil on the ground under the bus. After watching the 2nd plane hit the building, and we all could calm down, the mechanic repaired the bus.

don
Old 04-18-2005, 07:56 PM   #9

I had our local Kenworth repair shop replace the Lift Pump in my Dodge/Cummins. The price for the pump including their labor was just about the price that Dodge wanted for the pump alone! They said that sometimes their mechanics enjoyed working on the "Tonka Toy" size engines. LOL

BTW-Your local farm tractor, Big truck or industrial shop is the place to purchase your Cummins oil filters etc, much less expensive than from Dodge.

1998 Hitchhiker ll, mod#31RLBGBW, RBW L'tl Rocker Hitch, Generac NP50 G generator
richardcoxid is offline   Reply With Quote