Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2016, 09:54 PM   #1

Carolina Campers
Replace 12 volt lights with LED???

Ok being a newbie... LED require a whole lot less then 12 volt incandescent bulbs that are in my trailer (I assume they are, not opened the light fixture).

I have seen what looks like direct replacement for incandescent bulbs with LED.

This true? LED work in same socket.....???

I will check back tomorrow. Appreciate the helpful folks here. Making my life easier.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2016, 10:14 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LED lights is the only way to go. Yes, there are bulb to bulb replacements for most all older style RV lights without replacing the entire fixture. You will find some that are really cheap and others that cost more. In my opinion the cheapest ones do not produce the same lumens as the older bulbs. I bought the slightly more expensive LEDs and have been very happy with them. We get excellent light to read by. They also use a fraction of the battery power over older bulbs and produce much less heat. The only bulbs I have not been able to replace yet, have not tried too hard, are some halogen G4 base bulbs over my bathroom sink. Yes they make LED bulbs with G4 bases, but the ones I've tried won't fit into the little round recessed fixtures. I've spent perhaps $200.00 on LED replacements in total, but I think its worth it. DW does not complain about dim reading lights anymore.

In my basement areas I installed some LED strip lights wired in with the regular basement light fixtures. This made a night and day difference in those areas, pun indented.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:22 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yep, I've replaced over 60 of the halogen puck light bulbs in my rig. Had to remove the heavy cast heat sink/reflector and glue the socket in for each one. Not a one day job but worth the effort.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:46 AM   #4

Without knowing what your fixtures are, I can say I tried many before I found these. My light took two incandescent bulbs but only ine of these fits in the fixture and that is allyou need. Very pleased with amount and quality of light.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EK...vOL&ref=plSrch
Old 09-04-2016, 01:13 AM   #5

The price of the 12 volt LED replacements for regular bulbs seems to be coming down on a daily basis. If your putting the RV away for the winter I'd do the shopping for LEDs in the spring.
Old 09-04-2016, 05:43 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I replace all of mine, but took a slightly different approach.

I used the 36 LED flat panels, and glued them into the fixture and soldered the wires.

Upgrading coach lights to LEDs | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

And of course, anther side effect of using LEDs, you can add a rheostat as a dimmer.

Adding a dimmer to LED lighting | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

And a neat modification I performed on two of my lights, I converted them from OFF-MED-HIGH to a LOW-MED HIGH

Adding bathroom light wall switch converts ceiling fixture to LOW-MED-HIGH | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 05:56 AM   #7

Here is a site where you can probably find what you are looking for. I did.
Cheap Car Lights Online | Car Lights for 2016

Lynn
Old 09-04-2016, 02:37 PM   #8

Carolina Campers
I just opened my light fixtures and have C921s....

Thanks for all the replies sure helps a newbie out. Hopefully someday I can repay the favor.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:57 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
When you start replacing your lights with LEDs, have a voltmeter handy. On my 2005 Fleetwood Discovery, the manufacturer wired about half the fixtures reverse polarity. I had to go through and rewire. Incidentally, the marker lights on top were also wired reverse polarity, I haven't fixed those yet.
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:20 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If dry camping, change to LED is a very good thing. I change only those lights used most often. Socketed bulbs where applicable. If florescent bulbs replaced with strips of LED.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 03:31 PM   #11

I have just started replacing my bulbs. I have an older rv that uses 1141 bulbs. I went to AutoZone and bought a two pack of 1156 LED replacements, just to try them out. They worked fine and I liked the color. I'll buy the rest of the bulbs from Amazon or Ebay. AutoZone is just too expensive.

James
jamccarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 03:36 PM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplecamper View Post
Ok being a newbie... LED require a whole lot less then 12 volt incandescent bulbs that are in my trailer (I assume they are, not opened the light fixture).

I have seen what looks like direct replacement for incandescent bulbs with LED.

This true? LED work in same socket.....???

I will check back tomorrow. Appreciate the helpful folks here. Making my life easier.

Yes, you can easily find direct LED replacements for all your bulbs. Some folks change them to reduce the current draw while boondocking, others change them to get the brighter white light available with LED's!

If you want high quality rather than finding the cheapest price, I would look at M4 products! Just click on the link below!

M4 Products
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 03:53 PM   #13

I bought these on Ebay. They come with different adapters for different base fixtures. Nice and bright. Works great.

10x Xenon White 48-SMD LED Panel Interior Dome Map Light +1156 BA15S+T10 Adapter | eBay

Bob
hedhunter9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 04:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Yes, you can easily find direct LED replacements for all your bulbs. Some folks change them to reduce the current draw while boondocking, others change them to get the brighter white light available with LED's!

If you want high quality rather than finding the cheapest price, I would look at M4 products! Just click on the link below!

M4 Products
I agree with Joe. M4 is not the least expensive option but they do sell a good product and as I found out the hard way, not all LED products are equal.

Mr.D mentioned changing out his PITA little Halogen bulbs and having to remove the heat sink. Well, M4 makes a bulb that is a Direct Replacment for these little critters without having to remove anything. They also have a replacement tube for the 18" fluorescent tubes that is real simple to install and excellent light in three different shades. You can actually call them and talk to a Real, I know it sounds bizarre, Person to discuss your specific needs and the best solution.
Not Cheap but great product and excellent service.

Tags
12 volt, ace, led, light, lights, replace