Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-11-2014, 06:27 AM   #1
Replacement of flooring.

It's time to replace the worn carpet in our 2000 La Palma. What has been your experience??
My first desire is to consider a wood laminate for the living area, leaving the bedroom and cab carpeted (those areas are not worn).
Anyone have experience doing this? Lessons learned?
Will it flex and hold up?

Next resort is to use throw rugs--DW is not in favor of this.

Any previous posts, utube, or pics that would guid me in re-flooring a MH??

2017 Forest River Sunseeker MBS 2400w
2000 Monaco La Palma, F53 V10
2011 Ford Escape
Nuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2014, 07:49 AM   #2
Nuclear: Lots of RVers have done what you are doing. Ernie Ekberg...is an RV flooring expert and is a member of this forum. He has done hundreds of MHs and has a site with pictures. https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...andrepair/info

Hope this puts you in a place with examples and photos to help you select the perfect flooring for your MH.

Craig Gosselin
1994 Fleetwood 33H
1995 Fleetwood 30H (parts vehicle)
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:32 AM   #3
I had Apache RV in Las Vegas replace my flooring with Ozogrip Illo (2339) flooring. This flooring looks like wood but is flexable and dampens sound. Also this is the same stuff they use in most Airstreams.

To Market's OzoGrip Olio
- AD USAF Security Forces/Combat Arms (3P071B) - 19+ years of serving our great country and counting.
- 2009 Gulfstream Vista Cruiser Mini 4232
Kevin-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:11 PM   #4
Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
If you have a gasser, and are contemplating some renovation, check to see how the insulation is in your doghouse. Lots of new products out there to keep the noise and the heat out of the cabin.
Ernie Ekberg, Bluebird Wanderlodge- 43
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:15 PM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

i just did this. I left the carpet in the bedroom and the cab area , I used the Allure Ultra from Home Depot, very easy to work with. the ply wood under the carpet was in great shape so that made it easy, I didnt use any paper or foam, I have no issue with my slideout as some do with other products ,The wife and I are very pleased with the finished look.and is holding up well . 2002 Winnebago Sightseer 27'
yostfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:34 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We put new carpet in ours two months ago - a buddy & I did it ourselves (we both have DIY flooring experience). I though long and hard about laminate or vinyl plank, but carpet won out for a couple of mundane practical reasons:
1. Our roadside slide has floor rollers and they will inevitably scratch any hard surface
2. Carpet is comfy on the feet
3. The joint with the galley tile is a long curved edge, so a board type floor would require a transition strip. Carpet can be folded and stapled for a "blind" edge (no molding).
4. We like the flush floor on the slide, and a plank/vinyl/wood floor covering would add height and require stairnose molding at the joint. Carpet is a nearly flush fit.

We like engineered wood and laminates and have used them extensively in the stick house, but for our wants & needs, carpet seemed the best choice for the coach.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2013 Buick Verano
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:40 PM   #7
Carpet One has a vinyl that works well in RV's. It is more sturdy than Allure.
Patfredn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:09 AM   #8
I used laminate in my 5ver and left the carpet on the slides.Little time consuming but worked out great!
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:04 AM   #9
There are several videos on youtube about rv flooring replacement. I was wondering Patfredn what is your source for the durability of Allure vs Carpet One's product? We are thinking about replacing our carpet and have seen many posts about Allure.
Jan & Thomas
2012 Drv Mobile Suite
2012 Ford F350 Super Duty
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:34 PM   #10
We have laid a Tarkett 3" x 36" floor at two different houses, and it is also great in an RV. If the subfloor is OSB, you have to first screw down a 1/4" sheet of luan plywood, and use a special Domco mastic for vinyl strip flooring.

Everyone thinks our floors are real wood.

I'm thankful to have the Tarkett factory 2 miles away, and they sell overstocks to our local flooring stores. I pay $1.50 a square foot, which makes it a very inexpensive floor in a RV. I have it in my travel trailer too.

Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote

replace, replacement