Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2015, 01:28 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Replacement Vent Covers

Looking for vent replacement covers that won't fade from translucent white to dull yellow. My rig is coming up on 12 yrs old, the shower dome is translucent white and still looks like new.

Hoping to find a brand that has the uv inhibitors that will keep them looking new for a long time. Any recommendations?

Thx,
Bill

https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2015, 07:25 PM   #2

Maybe use a headlight restoration process on the covers, using sand paper and foam ball on a drill.

Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:30 PM   #3
KIX

Someone told me to use a Scotch Brite pad. I haven't tried it so let us know if it works
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:50 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would try the restoration process if I knew it would last a year or two or more. When I've tried to get my 12 yr old headlamps looking new again it only lasts a month or two. I've tried Turtle and Mothers and Rejex and 303. None last very long. The vent plastic in full sun all day .... lets just say I'm pessimistic on that solution.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:55 AM   #5

Just replaced my bathroom vent that was all UV rotted, it blew off on the highway somewhere; of course on way to camping and then had some rain while camping and driving home.

Not sure there is any restoration process that will work, the UV prtection has to be molded into the plastic. One thought is you could put a smoke color cover instead of the white, they have both colors available. I guess I am just resolved that the covers are an item that is hard to keep nice for long period of time and periodic replacement is expected.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:04 AM   #6

Not sure of the brand of vent you have. Mine was a Ventline or Elixer. Not hard to replace Just open the vent half way or so, bend the bottom rail down so you can slide out the arm, now slide the vent off. You may have to turn the tabs in if it has them, to slide it off. Now slide the new one on, bend the tabs, connect the arm and bend the rail back in place and you're ready to go. Buy the extra heavy duty unbreakable ones not the original equipment junk from Heng's. You can find them on Amazon and they may have them in stock at Camping World, etc.

My old ones turned to dust after 3 years in the FL sun, so spend five more bucks on the good ones.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duner View Post
I would try the restoration process if I knew it would last a year or two or more. When I've tried to get my 12 yr old headlamps looking new again it only lasts a month or two. I've tried Turtle and Mothers and Rejex and 303. None last very long. The vent plastic in full sun all day .... lets just say I'm pessimistic on that solution.
Sounds like you're just wiping them, not sanding. I had a auto trim shop make me headlight covers using Velcro.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:08 PM   #8

Usually the replacement covers are built lots better and last much longer than the cheap ones from the factory
Old 07-28-2015, 10:26 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tunafish View Post
Not sure of the brand of vent you have. Mine was a Ventline or Elixer. Not hard to replace Just open the vent half way or so, bend the bottom rail down so you can slide out the arm, now slide the vent off. You may have to turn the tabs in if it has them, to slide it off. Now slide the new one on, bend the tabs, connect the arm and bend the rail back in place and you're ready to go. Buy the extra heavy duty unbreakable ones not the original equipment junk from Heng's. You can find them on Amazon and they may have them in stock at Camping World, etc.

My old ones turned to dust after 3 years in the FL sun, so spend five more bucks on the good ones.
Very good tunafish! That was info I was looking for. I see on Amazon, Camco has white polypropylene for $13.18 and White polycarbonate for $23.19. On Amazon I usually go for the best price on an item with good reviews. But I agree to go for the higher price since polycarb is superior material assuming it has adequate uv inhibitors.

Thx,
Bill
Old 07-28-2015, 11:31 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty years View Post
Sounds like you're just wiping them, not sanding. I had a auto trim shop make me headlight covers using Velcro.
Dang Rusty, I think you nailed the issue with my headlights. I've only used rubbing compound, then polishing compound, then the sealer. I didn't think sanding was needed. I just read the directions for Mothers NuLens. It has 3 levels of sanding before polishing. It says to keep sanding with lots of water until the residue coming off goes from yellow to white. Then buff with the liquid that comes with the kit. I'll go thru the full monty and should see the results they claim.

On another note, I see in the Mothers box a card that says "Don't just restore it, protect it!" with 20% discount on XPEL film kits for headlights. Last year I had XPEL film installed on my 2013 Lincoln front fascia to stop rock dings while towing behind the motorhome. I happened to be in San Antonio, Tx area, so I had it installed at the XPEL headquarters in SA. I was very impressed with the clientele getting full front end film installed....complete hood and front fenders on brand new Porsche, Mercedes, Vette, Lamborghini. This stuff is so glossy that once installed you can't see. They give a 7 yr warranty. I got the fascia and mirrors done for $380.

I think I'll buy the XPEL headlight kits for my Lincoln and the restored motorhome. First I'll have to find out what year/model car headlamp assy are used in my coach.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:35 PM   #11

I just replaced mine in lieu of trying to polish or refurbish the old one. Not really expensive or difficult to replace.

Tags
ace, replace, replacement, vent