Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2016, 09:18 AM   #1

Replacing

I would love to see some people to contact on replacing items. Right now I'm looking to replace carpeting with the same vinyl that came in our 5er. The manufacturer isn't very cooperative and getting them to call you back or acknowledge your emails is just as bad. I've been looking the internet for about 6 months. I have a name of the company but they only sell to the manufacturers or don't know what rvs their products have been put in.

GRRRRR With dogs I'm through with carpet. I had 3 dogs sick at the same time. Luckily I bought a green machine for the road. But don't want to have to clean carpets. TOO OLD. Plus I have contacted some local dealers and they don't install in rvs.
Justwinginit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2016, 10:32 AM   #2

Have you tried lifting a corner of the carpet ?
Just to check to see if the lino is already under there. Some manufacturers , lay the lino wall to wall , then carpet different areas according to the options and floor plan. There may be some small holes from carpet tacks ; that could be sealed up; but you could use that lino till the whole rig needs new flooring.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:41 AM   #3

Depending where you are there seems to be many facilities that will re-do a RV. Are you close to Elkhart, Indiana? Eugene, Oregon? I know there are places there. Also, in popular snowbirding areas like Florida or Arizona. Google for them.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you have some vinyl in your RV along with carpet and now you want all vinyl. Instead of trying to match you might have to go with replacing the original vinyl and using a completely different pattern for the whole RV.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 05:49 AM   #4

Yes we have checked. Of course with our luck it's only carpet. Checked that out first.

I have looked in Florida. We are now parked at an rv dealership with a campsite in Ok. They don't do it and don't know anyone that does and recommended a flooring store. They flooring stores I contacted in Fl don't do campers.
Justwinginit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:40 AM   #5

If you have carpet now then you have a pattern...

The carpet can be removed carefully to be used as a pattern to cut out the vinyl.

Or if wood is going in it could help for add shapes.

Look in local newspaper for services provided and craigs list as many "career" trades folks do same work on the side.

Be sure whomever you select is properly licensed and insured ( check with BBB and state license board online) as well as references and or photos.

If you can clear out stuff and be out of it for a couple days then it should not be issue.

Many commercial places avoid rv simply due to small size so less Sq ft to make money on and the small size has more corners and problems that make the work more difficult so not much money to be made.

Be sure to ask about any specific prep work that you can do to make the outcome better ( cheaper or higher quality)

Removing old carpet and removing staples then maybe filling holes etc.

Installing floor tile is stupid simple with peel and stick stuff now on the market.

Single sheet from the roll more difficult but an rv is not much different than a bathroom and companies do them all the time.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:14 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

There are plenty of places that will re-do flooring in an RV. Probably not Rv dealers or the factory, but flooring experts. You can use vinyl, laminate, carpet, or tile, depending on your wants & needs, and maybe weight considerations in smaller RVs. I've replaced much of my carpeting with new and changed one area to laminate, and helped a buddy do vinyl plank (I have a lot of DIY flooring experience).

The basic problem is that an RV is a small area with lots of angles and corners to cut, furnishings to remove, etc. Many flooring guys don't want to bother - they like large open rooms with few technical challenges. The flooring pros don't mind it at all - they have the skills. Buy top quality flooring materials too, not the cheap stuff. Low grade stuff doesn't holdup well in the high moisture, variable temperature, frequently shifting environment of an RV. You aren't buying a lot of sq ft of material, so using better stuff doesn't cost much extra.

In Texas I suggest Ernie Ekberg (but he is booked far in advance), and in Florida I suggest "Recarpet your RV" (Eric @ 352 324-2894), a mobile flooring guy.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote