Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2014, 06:34 PM   #1

Replacing 6v batteries

New owner getting ready to replace 5 yr old 6v batteries. What makes the sealed glass mat batteries worth twice the money?

Longer life or just easier to take care of?

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2014, 06:48 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
This may help you decide.

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Old 09-11-2014, 06:52 PM   #3

Think it was Ronco that said it best.....

Set it and forget it!

AGM's are better because you can't forget to check them, also if you do it right you can have less connections. Such as going from 4, 6v (aprox. 450 amp hour bank) batteries with 8 connections versus 2, 8d, 12v (aprox. 470 amp hour bank) with 4 connections.

Personally for me, the advantage is the no maintenance.

Jim
Old 09-11-2014, 07:46 PM   #4

AGM batteries a a luxury item. They don't hold a charge or last any longer than a wet cell battery. They have two distanct advantages, one is that you don't have to worry about adding water periodically. Second is that they don't have to be installed in a vented area.
So if not having to worry about periodic maintenance is worth the extra cost by all means go for AGM.
My coach came with wet cell and I am perfectly happy with them. However when the time comes to replace them I'll be in the same place your are; do I want to spend a little extra for AGM or stick with wet cell? Don't know yet.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:52 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pubs View Post
New owner getting ready to replace 5 yr old 6v batteries. What makes the sealed glass mat batteries worth twice the money?
In my personal opinion.. ABSOLUTLY NOTHING

They do not last longer, average life for a top of the line AGM is the same as for a top of the line flooded wet cell.

Some makes (Lifeline) can be recharged a bit faster but odds are you do not have a converter big enough to do that, and in any case that is only the builk mode so it's not going to be that much faster over all.

The two advantages are Low (No battery is 100% maintnance free) Low maintnance,, But sealed wet cells have that too (Maintenance free) and

You can put 'em in any old way, No "This side up" sticker
Old 09-11-2014, 08:31 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Keeping batteries charged and wet seems to be the way to get maximum use out of any battery. So you can get AGM for the extra money (quite a bit I understand) or in my case I invested instead in making maintenance on my wet cells easy with a remote watering system and a BatteryMinder charging system. Both systems will be transferred when and if I need new batteries in the future. I purchased batteries for $85.00 per at Sams Club and I think I will get a lot more than five years.

I must add that for boon-dockers the ante goes up of course. We do not boon-dock.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 04:41 AM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
". . do I want to spend a little extra for AGM or stick with wet cell?" Try over TWICE the price for good ones. I opted for 4 Trojan T-105s vs. AGMs and put a reminder in my Gmail calender to check the water levels once every month.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:03 AM   #8

Replaceing 6v batteries

When shopping for batteries a few months ago, I asked a number of store and factory reps the same question, "Am I going to get VALUE out of the extra cost of the AGMs?". The answer was always the same negative head shake.

Although they can be mounted on their side, I believe that the AGMs also recommend a vented compartment because they can let off toxic gas in extreme conditions, hence the vent caps.

BTW, I ended up going with Interstate wet cells at the rally. About one third the price of the AGMs and they came to the coach to install and take away the old ones. Now I have new batteries and money in my pocket for the next set. I am quite confident that I will get better value out of two sets of wet cells than one set of AGMs. I suspect that the large price difference is due in part to the fact that the wet cells are the mainstream, high volume sellers as opposed to the 'premium' AGMs.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:39 AM   #9

This post helped me understand the difference but more importantly reminded me I need to go check my water level. I forgot about it... Thanks friends.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:11 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triatik View Post

This post helped me understand the difference but more importantly reminded me I need to go check my water level. I forgot about it... Thanks friends.
If you are using the 6 VDC batteries, try the Water Miser Caps. They reduce the amount of distilled water you need to put in and the frequency.

I check mine twice a year now versus monthly and have to put in very little water.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-12-2014, 11:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
AGM batteries a a luxury item. They don't hold a charge or last any longer than a wet cell battery. They have two distanct advantages, one is that you don't have to worry about adding water periodically. Second is that they don't have to be installed in a vented area.
So if not having to worry about periodic maintenance is worth the extra cost by all means go for AGM.
My coach came with wet cell and I am perfectly happy with them. However when the time comes to replace them I'll be in the same place your are; do I want to spend a little extra for AGM or stick with wet cell? Don't know yet.
Selah, what do you mean by saying "They don't hold a charge"?
Just wondering!
Old 09-12-2014, 01:52 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hes4All.. He means they do not hold a charge any better than the lower cost Flooded Wet Cell.... Though I have been told that they do not self discharge as fast.. Again, less you only use your RV once a year, you are not likely to ever notice the difference.

There are some situtations where the AGM is better, Motorcycles, and other vehicles than may not always be in the upright position (They do not leak if layed on their side) Really tough installs where you stand them on something other than the bottom.. Medium rough rides (They are a bit mroe rugged physically) This is why they are popular in UPS and Emergency Lighting.

And OPtima (even more epnsive and worse for RV are designed for things like ATV's. 4-Runners, Wave Runners and the kind of ride where I think it was Phillis Diller in a Bob Home movie said "Send for your Kidneys later". (Very funny woman, but good line too).

I tried AGM's one time.. When this motor home was near new.. They were the LAST batteries I bought.. Here is the replacment schdule

The motor home and its two GC-2 size Flooded wet cell new in 2005
The AGMs were added in 2006 (jan) and later I added some older Group 29's I had lying about (marine Deep cycle purchased PRIOR to 2005 and used for emergency power jobs and such)

The AGMs were replaed in 2011

The first of the G-29, in 2012
The rest of them in 2013
The GC-2s (Interstate U-2200) in 2014 March or April forget which. Just shy of 9 years from Deliverivy (May 2005). OVER 9 from install.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:10 PM   #13

I was just curious, my Lifeline's are going on 8 years old and going strong. IMHO with a solar set-up as mine the AGM's work better because of the quicker charge time.with short winter days?

And they do hold the charge better!

Oh well, to each his own!
Old 09-12-2014, 02:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
If you are using the 6 VDC batteries, try the Water Miser Caps. They reduce the amount of distilled water you need to put in and the frequency.

I check mine twice a year now versus monthly and have to put in very little water.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

The ad starts with "Nothing short of incredible" and continues along that same thread. The science part is a bit weak. Do they hold and dispense a reserve of water?

Tags
batteries, replace