Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2014, 09:50 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Replacing carpet in MH , recommendations?

We are going to replace the carpet to change to a lighter color DW, DP, & me. What would be best carpet depth.

gutsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2014, 09:56 AM   #2

Might need to be careful there - if this is going in an area where the slide rollers contact the floor............ JB

Old 09-28-2014, 10:05 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
We are going to do the same project this winter. A local RV shop told me to stay under 7/16" and to use nothing but nylon. \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:42 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
thanks for input

Thank for the input. there doesn't seem to be rollers on the floor. slide seems to be supported above carpet on floor. did they say only use nylon.
gutsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:57 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I just did mine (a BIG job, by the way). I don't think that nylon is a requirement, though you obviously want something that won't mildew easily in the damp RV environment. And something that cleans well and is resistance to stains and sunlight. The sq ft in an RV is small, so there is no reason not to buy a good quality grade of carpet. Read the ratings provided for each carpet model (usually on the back of the sample) and choose wisely.

You need to consider the combined depth of pad and carpet and it probably needs to sat under about 0.5" total. A good quality pad is important too, and a thick pad makes up for a thinner carpet, and thinner carpets are easier to clean.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 07:38 PM   #6

What ever you select, be sure to check the fire spread rating.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:27 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
3/8 inch 8-10 pound density carpet pad. BCF- bulk continuous filament nylon or polyester. denser is better as the pile won't mat down.
If you run your fingers over the fiber and pull off a bunch of fuzz- avoid that as it will continually shed.
If your coach is going to catch fire- it will be so hot it will catch everything on fire
Old 09-29-2014, 09:59 AM   #8

Follow Ernie's advice!!!!!!

He has 40+ years in flooring, does incredible craftmanship work in RV's. He has redone RV's for years and seen most any and every problem any of us can have or imagine.
sailwing2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:51 AM   #9

The carpet in our MH gets a cow-path wear pattern, so the plush that's in there now will get changed over to a low-pile loop commercial carpet when the time comes.
Low-pile loop of high density will be like your attorney's office floor; it will look the same for years and never show traffic patterns. ...and just like good steak; expensive, but worth it.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:52 AM   #10

I'll defer to Ernie and ask....what are your thoughts about the previous post? My previous comments were based on a history of selling carpet as part of restoration contracting.
I'd also go with the thinnest, most dense pad I could find.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:20 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I agree wholeheartedly with Ernie (and he's the pro!) about density - it was one of our major selection criteria. There is surprisingly little difference in price for a dense weave vs a loose one. Maybe 10% more
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:04 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
Folks, all the manufacturers use a lighter pound density and thicker- so that when you walk in the coach you get that ooo-ahh feeling. That stuff is junk. The ooo-ahhs quickly fade away to the dead spots where you walk.
The commercial rubber pad is great material and stands up to high traffic. We don't have the high traffic but we walk in the same spot time after time.
Thickness pads range from 1/8, 1/4 3/8, 1/2 inch. I would stay with either the 1/4 or 3/8 with a minimum density of 8-10 pounds. You can order higher density, but you will feel like you are walking on a board.
Instead of the commercial look of level loop- there are commercial cut piles from 30 ounces on up. That's whats in my attorneys offices.

Tags
carpet