Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2012, 02:59 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Replacing clearance lights

I started replacing all of my clearance light mainly because they failed and the bulb was always a problem, so I have completed all of the ones on the sides and will start on the tops ones soon, but seeing how the PO sealed them over make me think he had a problem with leaking into the motorhome.
So it got me wondering on how I can prevent any leakage being these light have no rubber seals.

Many of the side light I had already replaced has so many holes from previous repair I hoping that is also not the case on the overhead one, but none the less I must be sure I have all of the products I need when it come to their replacements so I have no leaks afterward, so I was hoping to get feedback and or advice on what other may have done. There are no leaks currently

There may not have been any problems but basing my thought on how they were sealed, after the fact, and I rather not be surprise once I pull the old ones off. I have a few ideas of my own but would prefer some feed back none the less.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2012, 03:20 PM   #2

354 mbs cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartvines View Post
I started replacing all of my clearance light mainly because they failed and the bulb was always a problem, so I have completed all of the ones on the sides and will start on the tops ones soon, but seeing how the PO sealed them over make me think he had a problem with leaking into the motorhome.
So it got me wondering on how I can prevent any leakage being these light have no rubber seals.

Many of the side light I had already replaced has so many holes from previous repair I hoping that is also not the case on the overhead one, but none the less I must be sure I have all of the products I need when it come to their replacements so I have no leaks afterward, so I was hoping to get feedback and or advice on what other may have done. There are no leaks currently

There may not have been any problems but basing my thought on how they were sealed, after the fact, and I rather not be surprise once I pull the old ones off. I have a few ideas of my own but would prefer some feed back none the less.
Two words Putty tape comes in rolls,black and gray the black is stronger but I think it will start to put out black streaks coming down from the lights use Gray tape make a so so looking gasket under the light screw it to the MH and keep checking to make sure it Sealed good. All Mh repair places and most part stores carry Putty tape.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:28 PM   #3

Use quality LED's such as Grote. They are sealed units and will probably outlast the RV. Seal them with a good caulking such as urethane and forget about them.
Art.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:37 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Are you referring to Butyl RV Putty Tape, I use it when installing all of the windows in the vintage travel trailers I restore. I have already taken that in consideration being I already have it in stock.

Welcome more feedback
Old 01-20-2012, 08:59 AM   #5

354 mbs cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartvines View Post
Are you referring to Butyl RV Putty Tape, I use it when installing all of the windows in the vintage travel trailers I restore. I have already taken that in consideration being I already have it in stock.

Welcome more feedback
Thats the stuff .
Old 01-20-2012, 09:20 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Clear silicone caulk might work. A little on the back side of the light before you fasten it, then a bead across the top of the light. I did that on ours but only had to do it to the front lights.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:30 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I removed the 5 clearance lights above the windshield a couple of years ago in preparation to repaint the coach. I took note at that time that all 5 lights were completely caulked in place with clear silicone, which made them very difficult to remove. I remarked more than once that I couldn't understand what the PO was thinking when he caulked those lights like that.

When I reassembled, I went to great lengths to properly install those lights and use silicone caulking on the gaskets to help assure that they would be sealed properly.

After experiencing water dripping onto the dashboard while driving in the rain a few times, last summer I found myself up on a ladder caulking all 5 of those clearance lights with silicone. Now they do not leak.

I guess the PO knew what he was doing after all.
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:32 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for all of the feedback so I guess silicone it is
Old 01-23-2012, 11:12 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
The front clearance lights on our 98 Overland were leaking, too. Got up to look at them and they were all cracked. Some were missing pieces and had water standing in them. I had access to the inside and found that the hole through the skin was big enough to replace the bulbs. The clearance light was the seal.

Bought all new lights and installed them using the new included gaskets. I also sealed around the top and sides with clear silicone.

3-day rain storm a week later and no leaks. Silicone is good!
Cougarkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #10

Silicone is the best as far as I'm concerned. As stated above the tape will leave streaks, and as it ages it collects dirt and sometimes shrinks, which you don't want.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:22 PM   #11

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
I used Eterna-bond clear sealant when I redid mine. For whatever reason, it seems to hold up better than regular silicone. I put plenty on the back of the mounting plate, then a bead around the back edge of the plate, mounted them, then smoothed out the excess that oozed out. Looks nice, and doesn't leak.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:29 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My previous unit had 1" holes and a divit for the clearance lights. None were water tight. I got some eternabond tape and filled in the divit then installed the new lights with a small slit to feed the wires through. Once screwed in place... I siliconed the backside. Never had a leak.

Tags
lights