Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-07-2015, 05:23 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 26,266
Replacing door awning pull strap

Now this sounds like a really simple thing, 5 minute job, right? WRONG!

The pull strap broke at the bottom loop on our front door awning. This was a Carefree strap and it measured 36". Unfortunately it seems the most common length is 28", which I found on Amazon for $7.54 for a package of 2. When I finally found the 36" it was more than $11 for one!

Anyway, I got it in and decided to install it today. The slot that the strap slides in is blocked on both ends by the end caps! I didn't want to go to all the trouble of removing one of the arms and the end caps, so I started scratching my head for a solution.

I used a 5/16" drill bit, drilled into the slot about 3" from one end, then turned the drill sideways angling the hole toward the center of the tube. I moved the drill bit around, reaming out the opening as much as I could. Then I was able to stick one end of the short plastic rod on the end of the strap into the opening, and by bending it, slide it into the slot.

I didn't have any help, and with the awning down in place the slot was rolled up on top of the tube under the fabric. I had to leave the old strap on there so I could use it to roll the tube over, giving me access to the slot. After I got the new strap in the slot, I held the awning fully extended with it and used a razor knife to cut the old strap off, leaving the plastic rod inside the slot.

I know this is a long, detailed explanation for such a little thing, but I hope it might save someone else the time to figure it out when their's breaks!
__________________

__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2015, 08:33 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
 
Gary RVRoamer's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Silver Springs, FL. USA
Posts: 18,073
Did pretty much the same thing for a Carefree window awning when the strap broke. Seems like Carefree could have put a removable plug in the end of the slot rather than requiring it to be drilled out, but the procedure is straight-forward and not difficult. GNice to have a helper to hold the roller in position while you drill, though.
__________________

__________________
Gary Brinck
Former owner of 2004 American Tradition
Home is in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:34 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
djbmsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Charlotte Harbor, FL
Posts: 1,806
Wouldn't you think these awning companies would leave a slot for this purpose and fill it with a plastic plug, or screw ???? or is that make just too much good sense ?
__________________
Don and Nancy
[2014 40QBH Phaeton, 2015 Buick Enclave, 2yr old sisters Sara n Kaycee, Havanese, Two Segways
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:22 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 26,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
Wouldn't you think these awning companies would leave a slot for this purpose and fill it with a plastic plug, or screw ???? or is that make just too much good sense ?

You're right Don!
__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:06 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
jplante4's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Cape Cod Mass
Posts: 316
I break the strap on my deck awning at home every 2 years or so. It's the part that sticks down below the rolled-up awning that is exposed to UV 24/7/365.

The deck awning has a slot in the end cap, but it's only big enough for the rubber slider, so you need to push the rubber slider into the slot first than try to engage the loop in the strap. I guess the problem is difficult to solve
__________________
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 35' - White Tiger
Cape Cod
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 03:10 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Now this sounds like a really simple thing, 5 minute job, right? WRONG!

The pull strap broke at the bottom loop on our front door awning. This was a Carefree strap and it measured 36". Unfortunately it seems the most common length is 28", which I found on Amazon for $7.54 for a package of 2. When I finally found the 36" it was more than $11 for one!

Anyway, I got it in and decided to install it today. The slot that the strap slides in is blocked on both ends by the end caps! I didn't want to go to all the trouble of removing one of the arms and the end caps, so I started scratching my head for a solution.

I used a 5/16" drill bit, drilled into the slot about 3" from one end, then turned the drill sideways angling the hole toward the center of the tube. I moved the drill bit around, reaming out the opening as much as I could. Then I was able to stick one end of the short plastic rod on the end of the strap into the opening, and by bending it, slide it into the slot.

I didn't have any help, and with the awning down in place the slot was rolled up on top of the tube under the fabric. I had to leave the old strap on there so I could use it to roll the tube over, giving me access to the slot. After I got the new strap in the slot, I held the awning fully extended with it and used a razor knife to cut the old strap off, leaving the plastic rod inside the slot.

I know this is a long, detailed explanation for such a little thing, but I hope it might save someone else the time to figure it out when their's breaks!
Great information! I only had to use a 3/16 drill to make an opening. It is so hot the plastic was very easy to flex and slid right in. Thanks for sharing
__________________
King Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:17 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
jrbarber's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Lakewood, CO
Posts: 127
Dometic just sent me a "replacement" strap for the one that was never there to begin with.

The invoice indicated I should have it installed by a "certified technician."

Dometic customer service was unable to tell me where I could locate a tech. certified to install awning straps.

Wonder if I'll have to sign a liability waiver before I can do the job myself.
__________________
Jim
2015 Bay Star 3124
jrbarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 01:30 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 26,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbarber View Post
Dometic just sent me a "replacement" strap for the one that was never there to begin with.

The invoice indicated I should have it installed by a "certified technician."

Dometic customer service was unable to tell me where I could locate a tech. certified to install awning straps.

Wonder if I'll have to sign a liability waiver before I can do the job myself.

Better get you a lawyer Jim!
__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 04:50 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
JFXG's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Today? Mercer, PA
Posts: 3,614
Joe.... I had to replace the pull strap on my door awning a year or so ago. Turns out the A & E awning roller had an access slot precut in each end cap aligned with the strap mounting groove. Guess I lucked out on that one!


Fulltiming since '12
2002 DSDP 40, FL, Cat 3126
__________________
John & Diane, Fulltimers. RVM103 NHSO
On the road since June '12 with Lincoln, the guard cat.
2002 Dutch Star 40, Freightliner, Cat 3126, 2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:29 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Ray,IN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: North America somewhere
Posts: 13,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Joe.... I had to replace the pull strap on my door awning a year or so ago. Turns out the A & E awning roller had an access slot precut in each end cap aligned with the strap mounting groove. Guess I lucked out on that one!


Fulltiming since '12
2002 DSDP 40, FL, Cat 3126
Those of us with Carefree awnings aren't so lucky, thus the drill. And yes, a hair dryer does make the plastic soft and pliable for working it into the drilled hole; but don't overheat it or the nylon strap melts too.
__________________
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:52 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 26,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Joe.... I had to replace the pull strap on my door awning a year or so ago. Turns out the A & E awning roller had an access slot precut in each end cap aligned with the strap mounting groove. Guess I lucked out on that one!


Fulltiming since '12
2002 DSDP 40, FL, Cat 3126

Hang on to that rabbit's foot John!
__________________

__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
awning, door



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replacing recliners in 5 wheel. jkn1946 5th Wheel Discussion 20 01-30-2015 05:21 PM
Replacing countertop ? Bukiman Class C Motorhome Discussions 8 01-26-2015 07:06 AM
Replacing ceramic tile... campersRus MH-General Discussions & Problems 11 01-20-2015 07:47 PM
Replacing floor w/hardwood vettehead Monaco Owner's Forum 19 01-16-2015 11:19 AM
Replacing house lights with LEDs Pictures and discription RogerChris RV Systems & Appliances 1 04-13-2014 04:37 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.