Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2015, 05:23 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Replacing door awning pull strap

Now this sounds like a really simple thing, 5 minute job, right? WRONG!

The pull strap broke at the bottom loop on our front door awning. This was a Carefree strap and it measured 36". Unfortunately it seems the most common length is 28", which I found on Amazon for $7.54 for a package of 2. When I finally found the 36" it was more than $11 for one!

Anyway, I got it in and decided to install it today. The slot that the strap slides in is blocked on both ends by the end caps! I didn't want to go to all the trouble of removing one of the arms and the end caps, so I started scratching my head for a solution.

I used a 5/16" drill bit, drilled into the slot about 3" from one end, then turned the drill sideways angling the hole toward the center of the tube. I moved the drill bit around, reaming out the opening as much as I could. Then I was able to stick one end of the short plastic rod on the end of the strap into the opening, and by bending it, slide it into the slot.

I didn't have any help, and with the awning down in place the slot was rolled up on top of the tube under the fabric. I had to leave the old strap on there so I could use it to roll the tube over, giving me access to the slot. After I got the new strap in the slot, I held the awning fully extended with it and used a razor knife to cut the old strap off, leaving the plastic rod inside the slot.

I know this is a long, detailed explanation for such a little thing, but I hope it might save someone else the time to figure it out when their's breaks!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2015, 08:33 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Did pretty much the same thing for a Carefree window awning when the strap broke. Seems like Carefree could have put a removable plug in the end of the slot rather than requiring it to be drilled out, but the procedure is straight-forward and not difficult. GNice to have a helper to hold the roller in position while you drill, though.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:34 PM   #3

Wouldn't you think these awning companies would leave a slot for this purpose and fill it with a plastic plug, or screw ???? or is that make just too much good sense ?
Old 02-09-2015, 07:22 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
Wouldn't you think these awning companies would leave a slot for this purpose and fill it with a plastic plug, or screw ???? or is that make just too much good sense ?

You're right Don!

Old 02-09-2015, 08:06 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I break the strap on my deck awning at home every 2 years or so. It's the part that sticks down below the rolled-up awning that is exposed to UV 24/7/365.

The deck awning has a slot in the end cap, but it's only big enough for the rubber slider, so you need to push the rubber slider into the slot first than try to engage the loop in the strap. I guess the problem is difficult to solve
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 03:10 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Now this sounds like a really simple thing, 5 minute job, right? WRONG!

The pull strap broke at the bottom loop on our front door awning. This was a Carefree strap and it measured 36". Unfortunately it seems the most common length is 28", which I found on Amazon for $7.54 for a package of 2. When I finally found the 36" it was more than $11 for one!

Anyway, I got it in and decided to install it today. The slot that the strap slides in is blocked on both ends by the end caps! I didn't want to go to all the trouble of removing one of the arms and the end caps, so I started scratching my head for a solution.

I used a 5/16" drill bit, drilled into the slot about 3" from one end, then turned the drill sideways angling the hole toward the center of the tube. I moved the drill bit around, reaming out the opening as much as I could. Then I was able to stick one end of the short plastic rod on the end of the strap into the opening, and by bending it, slide it into the slot.

I didn't have any help, and with the awning down in place the slot was rolled up on top of the tube under the fabric. I had to leave the old strap on there so I could use it to roll the tube over, giving me access to the slot. After I got the new strap in the slot, I held the awning fully extended with it and used a razor knife to cut the old strap off, leaving the plastic rod inside the slot.

I know this is a long, detailed explanation for such a little thing, but I hope it might save someone else the time to figure it out when their's breaks!
Great information! I only had to use a 3/16 drill to make an opening. It is so hot the plastic was very easy to flex and slid right in. Thanks for sharing
Old 07-04-2015, 09:17 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Dometic just sent me a "replacement" strap for the one that was never there to begin with.

The invoice indicated I should have it installed by a "certified technician."

Dometic customer service was unable to tell me where I could locate a tech. certified to install awning straps.

Wonder if I'll have to sign a liability waiver before I can do the job myself.
Old 07-05-2015, 01:30 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbarber View Post
Dometic just sent me a "replacement" strap for the one that was never there to begin with.

The invoice indicated I should have it installed by a "certified technician."

Dometic customer service was unable to tell me where I could locate a tech. certified to install awning straps.

Wonder if I'll have to sign a liability waiver before I can do the job myself.

Better get you a lawyer Jim!

Old 07-05-2015, 04:50 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Joe.... I had to replace the pull strap on my door awning a year or so ago. Turns out the A & E awning roller had an access slot precut in each end cap aligned with the strap mounting groove. Guess I lucked out on that one!

Fulltiming since '12
2002 DSDP 40, FL, Cat 3126
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Joe.... I had to replace the pull strap on my door awning a year or so ago. Turns out the A & E awning roller had an access slot precut in each end cap aligned with the strap mounting groove. Guess I lucked out on that one!

Fulltiming since '12
Those of us with Carefree awnings aren't so lucky, thus the drill. And yes, a hair dryer does make the plastic soft and pliable for working it into the drilled hole; but don't overheat it or the nylon strap melts too.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:52 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post

Fulltiming since '12

Hang on to that rabbit's foot John!

Tags
awning, door