Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2016, 06:49 AM   #1

Replacing Dually Tire Valve Stems

We just bought a 2017 Ram Dually to pull a 5th wheel (still on order). I want to extend the rear inner wheel valve stems and pivot the outer wheel valve stems to make checking tire pressure easier. Would prefer to totally replace existing valve stems with metal stems. Both stems are currently aligned in the same hole. When I replace the stems, do they have to be aligned in the same hole? Any advise, or first hand experience with this conversion would be greatly appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2016, 07:04 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I replaced the valve extensions on my coach with solid stems. One long one for the inner dual and one short one for the otter dual.

I got them from Borg in CA.

When the wheels are mounted on the axle the stems are 180 degrees opposing to each other.

Not sure if that's what you were looking for. You can get solid stems at most any truck tire shop but they will need to be bent in order to fit your truck.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
We are at our Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 07:23 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Valve stems should be opposite sides of wheel as said. Any good tire dealer should have metal stems and align them as you want ( not the one who installed them wrong)
You can also purchase a double chuck to check and add air to them easily as they are now oriented. Which is the "correct " way with inner pointing out and outer wheel pointing in .
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 07:39 AM   #4

I have some of the same concerns with the dual rear wheels. The stems are metal on my wheels and I do have the dual chuck so I can get air into the outside wheel (actually just did it this morning for the first time). The problem I have is getting a gauge back behind the two wheels. The stems are long and I'm not able to get the gauge squarely across the stem fitting due to interference or insufficient clearance.

So... my compressor has a gauge but it is not very accurate, but I can get it in the ball park for now until I can obtain an accurate gauge that will reach in between the wheels and seal against the valve stem.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:13 AM   #5

Warning! Any extension device, solid or flex might loose the air seal "sometime". I've had them and dont trust them. It might be due to vibration.

Not that this post is saying he wants to do that.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:37 AM   #6

I have 2012 ram dually and had the same issue. I bought flexible extenders and the Alcoa stabilizers for them. One leaked and I had zero pressure on one of my inner tires. I took them off and went to Napa and purchased the proper truck tire gauge and filler chuck, the same ones truck tire shops use. I'll make you a heck of a deal on the stabilizers, if you still want to go that way.

FWIW, all My stems are metal and I'd bet yours are too. In the rear, the stem on the inner wheel is short and points out. The stem on the outer wheel is longer and bent in. The wheels are mounted so they are 180 degrees apart. Any other way and you can't check the inner. When you have your tires repaired or replaced, check them before you accept the return of your truck. You will be amazed at how many tire changers don't know how to do it properly.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:39 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you tried a gauge with a end that looks similar to this

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierrun View Post
I have some of the same concerns with the dual rear wheels. The stems are metal on my wheels and I do have the dual chuck so I can get air into the outside wheel (actually just did it this morning for the first time). The problem I have is getting a gauge back behind the two wheels. The stems are long and I'm not able to get the gauge squarely across the stem fitting due to interference or insufficient clearance.

So... my compressor has a gauge but it is not very accurate, but I can get it in the ball park for now until I can obtain an accurate gauge that will reach in between the wheels and seal against the valve stem.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Have you tried a gauge with a end that looks similar to this

Yes that's the exact chuck that I have (works good for filling bicycle tires too). The problem I have is getting a manual pressure gauge back between the wheels to check the pressure. I probably just haven't found the right kind of gauge yet.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:02 AM   #9

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1475424110.211270.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	234.1 KB
ID:	140463

Pressure gauge on the left, chuck on the right. Napa carries them both.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:19 AM   #10
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdarrin View Post
Attachment 140463

Gushers on the left, chuck on the right. Napa carries them both.
Quote:

Quote:
Yes that's the exact chuck that I have (works good for filling bicycle tires too). The problem I have is getting a manual pressure gauge back between the wheels to check the pressure. I probably just haven't found the right kind of gauge yet.
I feel foolish for asking this but have you tried sticking the long stem of the gauge through the wheel hole to check the pressure?

do you have a steel wheel on the inside dual, does it have a short valve stem, do you have a Alcoa or Accuride aluminum wheel on the outside?
See My RV Upgrades
Old 10-02-2016, 10:22 AM   #11

Of course I have. How else could I check the pressure?

I have a steel wheel on the inside with a short stem and Alcoa wheel on the outside.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Attachment 140463

Pressure gauge on the left, chuck on the right. Napa carries them both.
That's just what I need! (the item on the left) Thanks guys.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:30 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Of course I have. How else could I check the pressure?

I have a steel wheel on the inside with a short stem and Alcoa wheel on the outside.
Sorry I'm not sure how you ended up being quoted when I asked that question, sometimes my fingers do not do what my mind is thinking.

Anyhow sometimes the long shank needs to be bent a bit to fit squarely on the inner valve stem especially with the 2" hole.

Edit;
Now it comes back to me your post was quoted because it showed the correct pressure checker, I should have included who the question was directed to.

I use a Milton like this

You can adjust and check the pressure with removing it from the stem

Lowes has something like this for about $16.00

See My RV Upgrades
Old 10-02-2016, 06:10 PM   #14

No worries.

you might be able to remove the air chuck on the one you have pictured and replace it with the one I pictured. If your inner valve stem is like mine, you need a straight chuck to get a proper fit.

Tags
ems