Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-18-2016, 04:17 PM   #15
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 23,081
I just ordered these. What do you think?

LED Strip Light DC12V Warm White White Bright 5M 5630SMD 300Leds Flexible Strip | eBay

10x 10mm 2 Pin Connector Wire Cable 15cm for 5050 Single Color LED Light Strips | eBay

Here is a comparison between the 5050 and 5630 LED's

http://heracolights.com/2014/03/10/3...ed-smd-diodes/
__________________

__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2016, 04:22 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 25,998
I used the rolls of lights from eBay. Rewired all the fixtures in the '02 DSDP and removed the transformers. I just soldered all the connections on the light strips so didn't bother with the connectors. All were working fine when we traded the rig. Only have five fluorescent lights in the Magna and it's not really worth the effort since two are on the outside patio, two are in the closet and one over the galley sink. None of them get used much. I already replaced all but one interior halogens though, some 60 of them just to get rid of the heat the halogens generate.
__________________

__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 04:26 PM   #17
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 23,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I used the rolls of lights from eBay. Rewired all the fixtures in the '02 DSDP and removed the transformers. I just soldered all the connections on the light strips so didn't bother with the connectors. All were working fine when we traded the rig. Only have five fluorescent lights in the Magna and it's not really worth the effort since two are on the outside patio, two are in the closet and one over the galley sink. None of them get used much. I already replaced all but one interior halogens though, some 60 of them just to get rid of the heat the halogens generate.

My next step will be to replace all the halogens!
__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 04:43 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
dennis45's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BC
Posts: 5,887
Joe, I am no expert on LED's but here is my experience.
I ordered one set (two tubes) from M4 to replace one of my fluorescent lights after the ballast burned out and the replacement ballast cost more than it was worth.
I was VERY happy with the replacement tubes but thought maybe I should try the much less expensive route of just installing LED strips. Well, that turned out to be Much Less than Stellar so I ordered 3 more sets from M4.

Then I had a few of those little two pin halogen lights that we're giving me swollen blood vessels by working one day and then out the next. So I ordered some replacements online that were cheap.
Same result, they did not fit properly and most importantly, they did not provide an equivalent light.
So, these went in the can and were replaced by some from M4.
They fit, they provide the light I expect (not only me but most important, DW) and I don't have anymore swollen blood vessels.
Did they cost more? Yes. Am I happy with them? Absolutely. Will I buy more from them? Without a doubt.
BTW, the fluorescent replacements have been in service for 3+ years and are working as advertised. Prior to these, I was forever replacing tubes.
__________________
Dennis & Carol
2003, 4006, 41' DutchStar, Spartan, ISC 8.3L W/BanksPower - 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake. And the 04 Bird, Sunshine Car.
dennis45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 04:45 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 770
Blog Entries: 6
At the advice of a friend, I use LED tubes from: Home - Star Lights Inc Easy to install and work great. Have had them 2 years.
__________________
'04MA DP, Blue Ox, AFO, 900watts of Solar, Safe-T-Plus, SilverLeaf, Lifetime: SKP & Days End
ByeTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 04:51 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
CJ7365's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 1,345
I used these, they are a little easier to install than the M4 LEDs, and the color IMO is better



the link is the 12" but he also sell the 18"



The is for one light

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-LED-T5-T...item280eb53d43


This is for 2


http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-X-New-LED-...item2a5eaae33e

I have the M4 in my bedroom and the Ebay ones in the living room.
__________________
2005 Tiffin Allegro Bay 37DB
W22 Workhorse Chassis 8.1 Flat Towing a 82 Jeep CJ7
CJ7365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 05:02 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 503
Joe a slightly different approach. I used LED strips with 10 mm connecters to match width.

I did not "gut" the fixture. I removed the ballast cover and cut the wires to it fairly close to the ballast. I then wired to connectors to the cut wires using the existing switch for on or off, this simplified the electrical issue.
An additional plus it leaves the fixture pretty much intact and would allow you to convert back the original configuration or LED tubes if the strips were not to your liking.

Just an additional thought.

Al Sawyer
'05 Mt. Aire
__________________
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 05:27 PM   #22
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 23,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by allynne View Post
Joe a slightly different approach. I used LED strips with 10 mm connecters to match width.

I did not "gut" the fixture. I removed the ballast cover and cut the wires to it fairly close to the ballast. I then wired to connectors to the cut wires using the existing switch for on or off, this simplified the electrical issue.
An additional plus it leaves the fixture pretty much intact and would allow you to convert back the original configuration or LED tubes if the strips were not to your liking.

Just an additional thought.

Al Sawyer
'05 Mt. Aire
Good idea Al! I will probably do that!
__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 05:28 PM   #23
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 23,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Joe, I am no expert on LED's but here is my experience.
I ordered one set (two tubes) from M4 to replace one of my fluorescent lights after the ballast burned out and the replacement ballast cost more than it was worth.
I was VERY happy with the replacement tubes but thought maybe I should try the much less expensive route of just installing LED strips. Well, that turned out to be Much Less than Stellar so I ordered 3 more sets from M4.

Then I had a few of those little two pin halogen lights that we're giving me swollen blood vessels by working one day and then out the next. So I ordered some replacements online that were cheap.
Same result, they did not fit properly and most importantly, they did not provide an equivalent light.
So, these went in the can and were replaced by some from M4.
They fit, they provide the light I expect (not only me but most important, DW) and I don't have anymore swollen blood vessels.
Did they cost more? Yes. Am I happy with them? Absolutely. Will I buy more from them? Without a doubt.
BTW, the fluorescent replacements have been in service for 3+ years and are working as advertised. Prior to these, I was forever replacing tubes.

Dennis, I know where you're coming from. I have been stung on getting cheap stuff before also! I'm gonna try this, but I may be going to M4 if it is not satisfactory!
__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 05:33 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
dennis45's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BC
Posts: 5,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Dennis, I know where you're coming from. I have been stung on getting cheap stuff before also! I'm gonna try this, but I may be going to M4 if it is not satisfactory!

Good Luck Joe, let us know how it works out. I still have a bunch to replace....
__________________
Dennis & Carol
2003, 4006, 41' DutchStar, Spartan, ISC 8.3L W/BanksPower - 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake. And the 04 Bird, Sunshine Car.
dennis45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 05:37 PM   #25
Community Administrator
 
JohnRR's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Marquette, Michigan "Da UP"
Posts: 16,556
After testing one light fixture I replaced them all using tubes from M4, simple enough to change, worth the little extra in cost, and no heat associated with using them.

I picked the brightest they had.
__________________
John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:11 PM   #26
Member
 
simplecamper's Avatar
 
Carolina Campers
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 94
I replaced my 921 bulbs with LEDs pack of 20 for 17$ on Amazon. One of first things I did with my new trailer. The ones that came with it really got warm, so I know that was quite a drain.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
__________________

__________________
Loving the outdoors!
simplecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
led, light, lights



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help replacing a florescent MH light fixture. ewg1022 RV Systems & Appliances 9 11-01-2015 03:53 PM
Looking to replace florescent light fixtures with LED Reelgator Class A Motorhome Discussions 29 03-12-2015 01:06 PM
Finally got my LED strips installed in my florescent fixtures! mdpuff Class A Motorhome Discussions 36 08-18-2014 08:16 AM
Replacing Ceiling Florescent Lights w/Recessed Halogen? RickO Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 21 09-27-2010 08:26 PM
Ideas for "Slow" Florescent Lights azstork Monaco Owner's Forum 5 08-17-2009 11:08 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.