Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2016, 03:36 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Replacing florescent lights with LED'S

I've used all my spare florescent tubes and think this may be the right time to convert to LED's.

I understand that there are basically two options, to use LED tubes in the existing fixture and remove the ballasts, or remove the "guts" of the fixture and install LED strips. Which is the better choice?

Finally, what source have you found to have the highest quality LED's at the most reasonable price? I've looked at M4 Products, which I understand are high quality, but the LED tubes are about $17 each, meaning $34 per fixture. Are there others out there that have proven, reliable products at less cost?

As always, your opinions are appreciated!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2016, 03:46 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Replacing florescent lights with LED'S

I've used both methods. I found the led strips were not as bright, even after installing 3-4 strips in the old fluorescent case. I like the led tubes and have found I can get by with one tube where there was two fluorescent tubes. I'll go see if I can find the link to the one I've used.

Brian

Edit Starlights T8-18 they are more expensive than your first choice.

https://www.amazon.com/Starlights-T8...arlights+t8-18
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 04:23 PM   #3

I have 4 strips in my Florescent fixtures. They give off more light than original tubes.
All my strips came from EBAY.
In case you never saw this thread. Inexpensive Fluorescent to LED Upgrade
Old 09-18-2016, 07:51 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I got tired of replacing the fluorescent lights so converted all my lights to LED ~5 years ago.

This is my suggestions for your rig as it is probably like mine.

I bought all my supplies off Ebay, a huge choice of LED strip lighting, they come in ~15' rolls, I believe I used 3 rolls. Buy some of the connector or pig tails that attach to LED strip, I used 3 per light fixture. The ones I purchased were snap lock type and worked good, only had one come loose in the last 6 years. I also bought small button type switches, I installed 1 per light fixture.

The LED strips should be marked for + & -, make sure you note which side is which, once you do one you'll figure out how to distinguish quickly.

Start with the light above the kitchen area, the one with the decorative cover. There is a grouping of 3 separate lights. Take all 3 lights out, measure the dimensions is there and buy a piece of Plexi-glass and cut to fit. Cut 6-8 strips of LED ribbon light, attach pig tails and mount to Plexi-glass. Mount the Plexi-glass in place of the original fixtures and wire them up, test before you put the cover up.

You now have 3 fixtures to convert to LED. I found it better to do 3 at a time as it was more efficient.

I completely stripped the fixtures and cleaned them all good with soapy water first, drying, and then wiping down with mineral spirits or equivalent. By doing this you'll make sure the LED strips adhere better. I mounted the small button switch on the same end as the original switches. I put 3 strips in each fixture, wiring the outer 2 to the original switch and the middle one to the new switch. By doing this you have 4 settings for each light, Off, 1 strip, 2 strips, or all 3 strips lite. This provides a lot of flexibility for lighting. Test each light before you install.

I then removed 3 of the fluorescent lights. I took the time to seal each of the light fixture recesses. Monaco drilled large holes for the power wires all the fixtures were really dirty. Now I know where all the dirt came in from when we were driving the AK Highway. Hopefully by sealing the holes it will prevent this from happening again.

I spent less then $100 to do all the lights, by doing the "assembly line" method you could probably do them all in a day.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:13 AM   #5

I used the M4 LED tubes in three fixtures. I am very happy with the end result. Good instructions and quite easy to make the change. the first fixture took 40 minutes, but the next two were 15 minutes. I got the Natural tubes.

2009 Fleetwood Southwind
Celerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:42 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Joe I went with these lights here,they are really bright,I removed my ballast cover and mounted three strips on it,one on each side and one down the middle,then I replaced the switch with a three way switch,on-off-on,now I can use them either way if I wanted.
10pcs Super Bright 12V 25cm 5630 18LEDS Rigid Hard Strip Shop Bar Light | eBay
Old 09-18-2016, 10:17 AM   #7

Joe-

Here's a link to my post on a similar iRV2 thread.

I hope it turns out well!
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:18 AM   #8

I bit the bullet and went with the M4 tubes and I couldn't be more pleased with the results. The wiring instructions are well written and easy to follow. In fact, I replaced all of the lighting in my MH with M4 products two years ago and have not had a single problem, knock on wood.
dsurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 12:01 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks everyone! I'll be studying your suggestion!
Old 09-18-2016, 12:21 PM   #10

I've done it both ways. Simplest is Green Life bulbs from Amazon at about $17 each ... work fine and takes about 10 minutes. Far more complex is to make your own from a roll of LEDS.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I didn't use connectors. I soldered wires to the strips. I also used 3M Molding Tape (Advance Auto/Autozone/etc.) to attach strips to housing ... the double sided tape on LEDs is junk. You can do a bunch of fixtures pretty cheap but it is time consuming.
Old 09-18-2016, 02:04 PM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjhall View Post
I have 4 strips in my Florescent fixtures. They give off more light than original tubes.

Do these get very hot with three strips on? I've heard that some LED strips get really hot!
Old 09-18-2016, 02:05 PM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjhall View Post

Your pics show only 3 strips in each fixture?
Old 09-18-2016, 02:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Do these get very hot with three strips on? I've heard that some LED strips get really hot!

Wow ... not mine! Never heard of hot LEDs .... barely warm to the touch.

As a matter of fact, I can turn on every ceiling puck (over 30) and all the LED florescents (8) and not notice a temperature change.
Old 09-18-2016, 04:13 PM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Wow ... not mine! Never heard of hot LEDs .... barely warm to the touch.

As a matter of fact, I can turn on every ceiling puck (over 30) and all the LED florescents (8) and not notice a temperature change.

Thanks!

Tags
led, light, lights