Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2019, 06:37 AM   #1

Lightbulb Replacing older 12V bulbs with LED’s

Hello all,

I have gone through my older motor home (98 Georgie Boy Swinger) and replaced every bulb with led’s. Here are some links to the bulbs that I bought on Amazon to replace the existing ones. All the ones I selected below are warm white to look the same as the original bulbs:
- Most common bulb -12V standard base used in a ton of lights -1156 replacement style. When I plugged these in next to a regular bulb they looked the same to me, same color and same brightness. LINK
- Next bulb is a 1157 replacement. Now the one that is at this LINK is no longer available but you can see what I purchased to find it’s equivalent.
- This bulb was a 921 replacement bulb (flat base with dual prongs). Here is the LINK the them.
- This last bulb was a really weird one that was used in the lamps in the bedroom. It looked like a 1057 BUT the bulb is actually wired between the two posts on the bottom and not posts to side. It was a 1076 replacement and here is the LINK.

I hope these help.

1998 Georgie Boy Swinger/2005 Jeep Liberty
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rjreiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2019, 04:08 PM   #2

Good to know. Thanks. Picking up my first fiver on the 9th and was thinking about putting led lights in some time in the near future. Thanks for the info
Ranchhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 05:34 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
These are the "1156" equivalents I used and like. I don't think they're quite the output of an 1156 but side by side to an 1141 I have a hard time telling them apart. And they really are warm white and not "daylight".

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 05:59 PM   #4

I replaced all my #1156 incandescent 12 V bulbs with LEDs. I wanted the brightest bulbs. For anyone wanting to do the same, the amount of light emitted is measured in lumens. I ordered 700 and 800 lumen LED bulbs which emit a lot of light. I've got plenty of light at night in the TT.

Also, I've seen some complaints on the forum about the quality of cheap LEDs. So, I ordered more expensive brand name LEDs. But, considering how long they last, I figure the extra expense is worth it.

Here's links to the ones I installed:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
IBTripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 06:09 PM   #5

Thanks for all of the additional input. I figure for a $1 a bulb its hard to go wrong and all of mine have been working great with zero failures so far but the bottom line is that once you replace them the odds are very slim that you will have to again, plus you don’t end up with the melted lenses problem!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-01-2019, 09:49 PM   #6

As stupid as this is going to sound some of the cheaper bulbs can interfere with our OTA tv reception. I am not telling you this as hearsay. I couldn’t figure out why every time we turned in the bathroom light certain channels would cut out. I asked the forum one day and a bunch of people came back and said “You installed LED bulbs recently didn’t you?” I bought a bit more expensive bulb and it didn’t do this.

I have since picked up some others from a show. They were definitely NOT $1 bulbs. I think they were closer to $10 a piece. Not sure I’d do that again but they are definitely well made and the color spectrum we were looking for.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:02 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I bought dozens of the cheap LED's off Amazon and eBay. I have over 60 of the 10 watt halogen bulbs to replace. The cheap ones were OK but I hate the cool or daylight bulbs so now I'm replacing those with ones from M4 at $10 each. Luckily my wiring was all correct for direct plug in and my dimmers work OK, just won't go quite as dim which is fine for me.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 05:45 AM   #8

I would agree in that I don’t like the daylight bulbs but only the warm white. As far as interference I have not had that but who knows, they do keep improving them all the time so maybe by the time I bought them they are better.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-03-2019, 05:32 AM   #9

All lights are not created equal either original incandescent or LED. I'll explain. Girlfriends 5th wheel originally had incandescent bulbs in all the fixtures. The original owner had replaced most with the LED. They were the 921 base but flat disc style not the round cylinder type. But the lights left yellow streaks everywhere. I initially thought is was the bulbs but after replacing all the bulbs with new ones figured out it was the lens doing it. The prisms pattern spread the streaking with the brighter LED bulbs. Unfortunately no replacement lens were available so she bought all new light fixtures that were compatible with the LED bulbs.

When we got the trailer and were cleaning it up we saw these yellow streaks on the wall and tried cleaning them up. Wouldn't come off and were actually removing some wall paper color. It was when we put a while cover on the bed we discovered the true source of the streaking.

Lesson, buy one bulb first before replacing them all.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 07:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwwicks View Post
All lights are not created equal either original incandescent or LED. I'll explain. Girlfriends 5th wheel originally had incandescent bulbs in all the fixtures. The original owner had replaced most with the LED. They were the 921 base but flat disc style not the round cylinder type. But the lights left yellow streaks everywhere. I initially thought is was the bulbs but after replacing all the bulbs with new ones figured out it was the lens doing it. The prisms pattern spread the streaking with the brighter LED bulbs. Unfortunately no replacement lens were available so she bought all new light fixtures that were compatible with the LED bulbs.

When we got the trailer and were cleaning it up we saw these yellow streaks on the wall and tried cleaning them up. Wouldn't come off and were actually removing some wall paper color. It was when we put a while cover on the bed we discovered the true source of the streaking.

Lesson, buy one bulb first before replacing them all.
Right after getting our 2014 Thor Hurricane, I wanted to replace all the incandescent bulbs with LED. I quickly discovered that there are dozens of different brightnesses, light colors and quality out there. Reviews and mfr descriptions don't mean a thing. Ultimately I went with Amazon because of their return policy. I bought about five different kinds and tried them. I found the bright whites I thought I wanted for the ceiling lights were too harsh but worked great in the basement bays and the under cabinet lights needed to be less bright. I returned the rest.
Fairfieldwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfieldwiz View Post
Right after getting our 2014 Thor Hurricane, I wanted to replace all the incandescent bulbs with LED. I quickly discovered that there are dozens of different brightnesses, light colors and quality out there. Reviews and mfr descriptions don't mean a thing. Ultimately I went with Amazon because of their return policy. I bought about five different kinds and tried them. I found the bright whites I thought I wanted for the ceiling lights were too harsh but worked great in the basement bays and the under cabinet lights needed to be less bright. I returned the rest.
I'm far from an expert but to keep it simple with the bulbs that have the same base there is lumens or brightness and color which is often stated as bright white or soft white. Different lumens or color can have dramatically different effect and your approach was a good one. My motorhome was originally incandescent and I replaced most with the LED. Probably 10 different bulb types, bases, which complicated the change. I swapped some of the fluorescent also.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:11 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
I replaced all my 1141 and 921 bulbs with LEDs. I used warm white (3,000k). The color is identical to an incandescent bulb, and the LEDs are slightly brighter than the bulb they replaced.

LED Conversion – 1999 Southwind 35S

I also replaced the bulb in the closets with LED strips. More even lighting and much cooler.

Closet LED light conversion – 1999 Southwind 35S

AND, I replaced the florescent bulbs and ballast with the same LED strips.

Convert fluorescent fixtures to LED – 1999 Southwind 35S

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:37 AM   #13

Because I knew that dry camping & boondocking were high on my list, lightbulbs were the first thing I changed. I went with these, which I'm very happy with. Not quite cheap but guaranteed for life (mine, the bulb or the camper - I'm not quite sure! ).

1141 LED, Warm White, 24 SMD 2835 LEDs, 10-30vdc
festrvl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led