Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2018, 06:27 PM   #1

Replacing rubber gaskets doors and Frig

Hi ya all! Hope you're all doing well and enjoying your favorite spots on this continent!
I've been thinking if I change out the rubber gasket along the top of my storage doors it will keep the water out AND the rubber gasket in my refrigerator/freezer to keep the door tight and sealed and cooler ~ anyone ever changed out these rubber gaskets and if so where did you purchase them and how much did they cost?
I have an 1998 American Eagle Coach Dream, Class A Diesel pusher . . .
Much appreciated and God bless ya all!

DJoy
DJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2018, 08:25 PM   #2

Without the make, model of your frig. no answer is possible. For instance, Norcold 1200 refrigerators have a molded-in gasket, non-replaceable, new doors =$600 ea.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:57 PM   #3

It is NOT just the Norcold 1200 models........Norcold doesn't have replacement door seals
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:40 AM   #4

Norcold gave me the phone number to the factory that makes the door gaskets when I was in Michigan. The gaskets are replaceable and iirc about $100 for both doors, maybe less. I'll dig out the number today and post it here.
Steele Rubber should have the gaskets for your compartment doors, just have to match them up on their website.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:26 AM   #5

Try this site for your storage bay rubber. They have all kinds. Some with adhesive backing. Getting ready to change out all my storage seals. http://www.realworktrucks.com/servic...ok-x202bt.html
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadman View Post
Norcold gave me the phone number to the factory that makes the door gaskets when I was in Michigan. The gaskets are replaceable and iirc about $100 for both doors, maybe less. I'll dig out the number today and post it here.
I'm very interested in this because when I called NeverCold they told me I had to buy new doors as the seals are NOT replaceable. Looking at them, I see no way that mine would be replaceable since they are molded into the door. But if there's a way, I'd like to know about it.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:16 AM   #7

The lady at Norcold also told me I had to buy doors until I told her that I already had the doors apart and the seals are replaceable. She then gave me the phone number, which I can't find right now. The seals are moulded on a flange so look different that a normal seal. Door has to be removed and the trim on the outside has to be removed.
The lady at the factory that makes the seals said best way to get the right seals is to remove them and ship them to her. As we were staying in the MH in my SILs driveway I told her I would do this when we returned home.
I'll search my cell phone call log today to see if I can find the number or just call Norcold again tomorrow.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:14 PM   #8

I recently purchased a new Dometic fridge/freezer and the freezer door was not sealing worth a hoot and we were getting ice build up. I called Dometic and the CS person told me to lay back the seal around the freezer door and put cotton balls all around under the back edge of the seal. Then close the door and let sit for 6 hours. Seemed to work. Not sure what model you have but check to see if you can put cotton balls under the seal.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:02 PM   #9

My Norcold seals are tearing on the ends. I taped them with Gorilla tape and they seal just like new again.
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:41 PM   #10

Here is the contact info for the factory that makes the door seals for many brands of refrigerators:
Paula Hand
Cool Temp Refrigeration & AC LLC
129 Hickory Point EXT
Hampstead, NC 28443
910-270-0405

I'll post this in the section on appliances also.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:12 PM   #11

You can also get some backer rod foam in either 1/8" or 1/4" and put it in one of the folds of the door gasket. It extends the seal and gives them new life.
murphy55378 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, doors, gas