Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-12-2013, 12:07 PM   #1
Replacing Sofa Bed - Opinions Please

We are replacing the OEM love seat sofa bed in our CariLite 5th wheel and would like some opinions on the replacements available. Usually a sofa bed is an uncomfortable sofa, and eventually an ever more uncomfortable bed (at least in my experience)

Since this is located in the pop out, will we have to buy an RV specific replacement, or can we use any type of furniture?

I've seen some combos with air mattresses, some that the seat and back adjust to form a bed (no additional mattress), and I'm sure many other types.

I'm looking for comfort as a loveseat AND as a bed. All opinions are welcomed and encouraged! Thanks Jonesey

Jonesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
Go to any furniture store and look for the size that will fit and will fit what you want it to do and oh yea your budget too. You do not need to buy one from an RV store. It can be any name brand that you like.

Thom and Christine having fun in a 1993 Monaco Crown Royale Signature Series 40ft 300hp RV. Towing a Fiat 500 Abarth and a Harley.
Our blogged repairs and travels
PyrateSilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #3
Thor Owners Club
We have an air mattress in our sofa and a ottoman built in with extra storage. We've had folks sleep on it and no complaints.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #4
We sold our queen sofa with a air mattress and replaced them with two Lazy Boy recliners.
American Tradition 42R-Cadillac SRX Blue Ox Koni 5050XL MCD Scangauge D Samsung rf197
Fulltime since 2012
336muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In our previous coach we also replaced a RV type sofa/sleeper with a Lazy Boy reclining love seat. We did not need an extra bed so it worked well for us. One thing about most of the recliners (Lazy Boy, Barcalounger, etc) is they have removable backs. Removing the backs makes them much more easy to bring in thru the RV entry door.

We also looked at sleeper sofas for the stick house with inflatable mattresses. They were heavy and quite expensive.

Our current coach has a sleep sofa with an inflatable mattress. It is very comfortable. It is made by Villa which I believe makes RV-specific furniture.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:21 PM   #6
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
We sold our queen sofa with a air mattress and replaced them with two Lazy Boy recliners.
Haven't sold the old hide a bed but did get three new La Z Boy recliner/rockers. Two of the chairs went where the old hide a bed was and the third replaced the OEM leather recliner.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:58 AM   #7
Well, we decided to get a Lazyboy sofa bed with the deluxe mattress/ air mattress option. It was pretty pricey, but we wanted quality.

So we ordered it, waited 6 weeks, and it finally arrived. Our CariLite has 4 popouts. The kitchen / living room popout, where the sofa bed goes is about 16 feet long and the floor is not flush with the rest of the floor. It sticks up about 3", for additional structural support I suppose.

Anyway, our old sofa only had feet on the front and the back sat on the floor. The LB; however, is built so that you need feet on the frame or the bed mechanism won't function. So now we've had to add 3" to the front legs of the new sofa. It's a great bed but truly sucks as a sofa since your feet can't touch the floor.

So we're back to square one, looking for a quality sofa bed built for this type of popout. Any suggestions?
Old 06-14-2014, 12:16 PM   #8
You may want to look at Flexsteel. They make RV a TT furniture that might work for you.

They too are pricey, but good quality.

Flexsteel Furniture: Products

Good luck!
skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 05:29 PM   #9
Just remember you need to secure any furniture to the floor in an rv. Nothing like getting in a accident and having furniture flying around the inside of your rv! Could never understand free standing tables and chairs...
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:47 PM   #10
No luck so far. I might start building my own sofa bed. Saw some interesting stuff on the web and looks like a fun project. If I do it I'll post pics (if I can figure out how).