Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2014, 12:07 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Replacing the table... have you done it??

Since buying our Bounder two years ago, the cheap looking metal leg on the dining table has irritated the heck out of me. (#firstworldproblems) We really like the booth setup and don't want to go to a table and chairs, so replacement options are limited. Recently I discovered this website with some very nice looking wood RV tables... CLICK HERE!!

I'm thinking of removing our OEM table and replacing it with one of the wood models, while leaving the booth seats. I'm going over to the storage facility today to take measurements to see which replacement will work best. I'd like some opinions...does this sound like a hare-brained idea?

If you have done something similar, please post a pic!!

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2014, 01:13 PM   #2

Not a hare brain idea. Our table isn't solid wood, but the formica matches and it doesn't justify a change. Also, the table leg is wood and it folds allowing to make an emergency bed.

Looking at the link, I really like the solid wood but do not care for the freestanding aspect...don't really want to loose the fold down bed option. If you feel the same, you could have a woodshop custom build a table top and wood folding leg. Also, if the attaching hardware at the wall is good, you could have the shop reuse that as well. If you think you'll never use the bed, those tables look to be a great alternative and you could probably have it stained to match.

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:25 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
Not a hare brain idea. Our table isn't solid wood, but the formica matches and it doesn't justify a change. Also, the table leg is wood and it folds allowing to make an emergency bed.

Looking at the link, I really like the solid wood but do not care for the freestanding aspect...don't really want to loose the fold down bed option. If you feel the same, you could have a woodshop custom build a table top and wood folding leg. Also, if the attaching hardware at the wall is good, you could have the shop reuse that as well. If you think you'll never use the bed, those tables look to be a great alternative and you could probably have it stained to match.
Our current tabletop matches, too...but removing it wouldn't bother me. Luckily our dinette converts into a bed by jack-knifing the two benches; the table top is not part of the bed support so it wouldn't matter if it were removed. (And we have never had occasion to use it as a bed.)

I might check with some local woodworkers to see what they can do. Thanks for your input!!

Old 04-06-2014, 01:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Our current tabletop matches, too...but removing it wouldn't bother me. Luckily our dinette converts into a bed by jack-knifing the two benches; the table top is not part of the bed support so it wouldn't matter if it were removed. (And we have never had occasion to use it as a bed.)

I might check with some local woodworkers to see what they can do. Thanks for your input!!
That's pretty neat...haven't seen that type of bench before. Looks like you have plenty of options to play with.

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:06 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
That's pretty neat...haven't seen that type of bench before. Looks like you have plenty of options to play with.
I went to the storage facility yesterday and measured the existing table top. To get something similar in size (24 x 41"), my options are a bit more limited. I'm going to call the RV furniture company tomorrow to see if they can send me samples of the wood finish so I can get one that looks like it belongs in there.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:56 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
if you have leg room, get a nice turned post. Hinge it on the table and cantilever it to the wall. I have a table that is that way.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:02 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
my table
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2014, 07:41 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg View Post
my table
Hi, Ernie...and thanks for the recommendation. (I love the floor in your pic.) We considered a wall mount table like yours, but unfortunately the support arm would interfere with the jack-knife conversion to a bed. We have not used the bed and probably never will...but when it comes time to sell/trade the coach I would prefer that everything works as designed.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:56 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The wood table was received from RVFurniture.com yesterday; it turned out great! We took it to the Bounder last night, so the only pics I could get are with the slide in and in poor lighting. Really happy with the table...

Here's the table that was removed (and will be put back in if/when we ever trade the Bounder.)

Old 05-13-2014, 11:30 AM   #10

lincolnboy2 did looks good
Old 05-13-2014, 11:50 AM   #11

In our old coach, we removed one of the bench seat and added a double folding table and a recliner. Later on, I removed the remaining bench seat. We enjoyed it much more. I did have some trouble getting the bench seats out the door and had to dissemble them a little to do it. I saved it all and reassembled it all when we were ready to trade it in. The heater ducts were involved in the bench seat and had to be dealt with. All in all it was a great project that increased our enjoyment a lot. It was not a project beyond the average do it yourselfer.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:06 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
lincolnboy2 did looks good
I remember Kent's new table; it turned out great.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:11 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
In our old coach, we removed one of the bench seat and added a double folding table and a recliner. Later on, I removed the remaining bench seat. We enjoyed it much more. I did have some trouble getting the bench seats out the door and had to dissemble them a little to do it. I saved it all and reassembled it all when we were ready to trade it in. The heater ducts were involved in the bench seat and had to be dealt with. All in all it was a great project that increased our enjoyment a lot. It was not a project beyond the average do it yourselfer.
We really like our booth benches and didn't want loose chairs to deal with, so I was looking for a replacement table solution. I just HATED that cheesy looking table with the one metal leg. I couldn't put a 4-legged table there because the legs would block the seating. Dan at RVFurniture.com helped me choose a pedestal and made sure the table would fit in available space.

When it comes time to trade the Bounder, we will put the OEM table back.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:15 PM   #14

We placed a small circular hook on the wall and then I made a long bungee cord that I wrapped around the chair and footstool for traveling. It only took about 30 seconds to set up for traveling. Worked out well.