Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2011, 08:44 PM   #1

Replacing Tires - HELP!

I have a 5th whl that needs new shoes. This is a Grand Junction 32tcg, actually 35 1/2 feet weighing 15000# with 2300# hitch weight. I bought it new in November of 05. It came with the Power King Towmax 235/80/16. I've actually had good luck with these. The first tire went bad after a little less than 4 yrs 10 mo. and the second one about a year later. both of them were loosing their caps. They went flat and did not blow on me. They had under 10,000 miles on them and the RV was stored inside the second half of its life.

I replaced the first one and one other worn tire with a pair of Triangle tires. They were all I could get at the time. Now that the second Towmax has gone, I am thinking about putting 4 new/good tires on.

After reading all the tire problems on the RV forums, I am trying to stay clear of Chinese trailer (ST) tires. I read that a lot of RVers are replacing their ST trailer tires with the BFG Commercial TA LT tire.
I would like to put these on my fiver but I need one with a load capacity of 3400-3500#. The Towmax had a load rating of 3520#. To get this load rating in the BFG I would need to change size and go to a 265/75/16 size. This tire is 1" taller and 1" wider. There doesn't appear to be a clearance problem and my aluminum wheels are 16x7". The BFG would fit and has a load rating of 3415# which should work.

Anybody have any advice or experience changing tire size. RVers must be doing it because some of the fivers being switched to the BFG were big and they had the same stock tire as mine.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2011, 09:52 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Trailer tires scare me to death. when I towed a boat, blowouts were an annual experience!!

Back in the 90's, many class A's had 16" tires. These are big heavy rigs. What kind of tires do they run, and will they fit on your fiver?

Old 08-18-2011, 11:23 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Before we had our DP I towed a 5th wheel for years and when it came time to replace my tires I asked who makes the best tire? My tire guy told me BF Goodrich Commercial. I think your selection is a good one and you won't go wrong.

As for changing tire size to meet your load requirements, I think you would be find with the 265x75x16. It maybe a little wider, but I believe you will be at about the same diameter.

Good luck
Old 08-19-2011, 12:29 AM   #4
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDRV View Post
I have a 5th whl that needs new shoes. This is a Grand Junction 32tcg, actually 35 1/2 feet weighing 15000# with 2300# hitch weight. I bought it new in November of 05. It came with the Power King Towmax 235/80/16. I've actually had good luck with these. The first tire went bad after a little less than 4 yrs 10 mo. and the second one about a year later. both of them were loosing their caps. They went flat and did not blow on me. They had under 10,000 miles on them and the RV was stored inside the second half of its life.

I replaced the first one and one other worn tire with a pair of Triangle tires. They were all I could get at the time. Now that the second Towmax has gone, I am thinking about putting 4 new/good tires on.

After reading all the tire problems on the RV forums, I am trying to stay clear of Chinese trailer (ST) tires. I read that a lot of RVers are replacing their ST trailer tires with the BFG Commercial TA LT tire.
I would like to put these on my fiver but I need one with a load capacity of 3400-3500#. The Towmax had a load rating of 3520#. To get this load rating in the BFG I would need to change size and go to a 265/75/16 size. This tire is 1" taller and 1" wider. There doesn't appear to be a clearance problem and my aluminum wheels are 16x7". The BFG would fit and has a load rating of 3415# which should work.

Anybody have any advice or experience changing tire size. RVers must be doing it because some of the fivers being switched to the BFG were big and they had the same stock tire as mine.

Is 15000# actual weight or GVWR? If it is actual you are almost at max weight for the tires at max pressure(4X3500=14000). That would be too close for me. I like to have more cap. at less than max pressure. It sounds like the tires that failed had lost some pressure and got hot causing failure.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:44 AM   #5

The 15000# is GVWR. If I subtract the hitch weight of 2300+ pounds, I'm left with about 12700# for the Trailer, so I'm thinking the BFG's will be ok. I've never had it actually weighed but I want to. Specs say unloaded weight is 10612# and GVWR is 15500, so I'm somewhere in between. I don't have much personnal items in it. The GAWR is 6812# each axle. Which really doesn't support the specs max. Scary, isn't it.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:36 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I had a Montana with weights quite similar to yours. I dumped my Chinese Missions (ST235/80R16) for Bridgestone Duravis 500s (LT235/85R16). The LTs do not have as much load capacity as the STs, but the problems seem to occur with the STs not the LTs. I was in specs with the Bridgestones and had no problems. The Duravis 500s were recommended by a tire dealer who used them on his own 5th wheel...I figured that was a pretty strong endorsement.

Actually, the axles at 6812# do support the weight. That weight doubled for two axles is 13,624 minus the GVWR of 15,000 leaves 1,376 for pin weight. Since your pin weight is more than that, then you have less weight on the axles.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires