Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2015, 09:42 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I'd leave off the RV toilet paper and holding tank chemicals - neither are required. Any decent septic-safe TP will do nicely, and chemicals aren't needed at all.

If you buy everything that someone thinks is "necessary", you won't be able to make the payments on the motorhome. I would go slowly and add things as you go along and find out what works best for you. About all you really need are the sewer, water & electric hook-up stuff.
Gary, thanks! Yeah, I'm not looking for "necessary" but the "required" items. However, I'm still jotting down a lot of these on my list of future wants.
W0GER is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2015, 09:45 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmandV View Post
I noticed you listed a radio/weather radio. If you mean a CB radio, by all means! Besides having weather channels, it could come in handy in case you are in a dead area or there's just no cell phone service in case of emergencies.
ArmandV, actually it is a HAM Radio (armature radio) .. it also automatically scans the NOAA weather frequencies and will alert if severe weather alerts are issued. Also will be adding a CB to the Jeep Wrangler as this is a requirement for the Jeep Jamborees (which I plan on attending).
W0GER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:47 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by W0GER View Post
ArmandV, actually it is a HAM Radio (armature radio) .. it also automatically scans the NOAA weather frequencies and will alert if severe weather alerts are issued. Also will be adding a CB to the Jeep Wrangler as this is a requirement for the Jeep Jamborees (which I plan on attending).

Better yet!
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:46 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
FYI, the Phaeton does not come with a water pressure regulator so unless the previous owner left one, you definitely need to get an adjustable one- I have an oil-filled Watts.

Also on the Phaeton you need the clear Straight sewer connection, not the curved one. It curve won't work on my 2009. The Phaeton has a black water rinse connection so no need to buy a separate tool. Buy Happy Camper to go in the black tank and throw away those chemicals. Works much better.

Get a good tire pressure gauge such as Wilton that goes up to 150psi and that you can reach the inside dual tire with. Unless the previous owner turned the valves around, that is hard to reach.

I consider it essential to get and install a Pro-Fill system on the house batteries. You have 6 and the cables route over the fill caps making it really hard to check the water in them and fill to the correct level. You don't need this until you get home but I strongly recommend.

CO detectors life is 5 yrs and so I would ask the dealer to go ahead and replace it. 2011 most likely built in 2010.

I would also ask them to replace the water heater anode if it is a Suburban like mine. Atwood's don't use anode rods. Get them to fill the fresh water tank about 20% and make sure your water pump is working so you can use water on the way home. Make sure there is a filter in the filter housing in the wet bay.

Be sure you know the date codes on the tires before you leave. Make sure how old the house batteries and the start batteries are.

That's the basics I would buy and do before taking it home. At home you can then get what you don't have.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 01:29 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by W0GER View Post
Last weekend I closed the deal on a new to me 2011 Tiffin Phaeton motorhome. Dealer has a few items to resolve, but should take delivery a week from tomorrow. I've been busy getting all the required items (doesn't include anything beyond truly required):

* Fresh water hose
* Garden hose (for rinsing out sewer hose)
* Sewer hose
* Sewer hose support
* 50amp Surge Suppressor
* 30amp to 50amp converter
* RV Toilet Paper
* Black tank deodorizer / chemicals

* Water pressure regulator
* Boards for jack support

Anybody thing of any required items I'm missing?
I know the topic of RV toilet paper and chemicals has been debated a lot in these forums, but I was reading my RV owner's manual a little while ago and it said to use RV toilet paper and chemicals.

Hopefully, your rig came with all of its manuals. I would read them over to see what they say about it. When in doubt, read the bible.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:07 PM   #20

Required items for used motorhome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmandV View Post
I know the topic of RV toilet paper and chemicals has been debated a lot in these forums, but I was reading my RV owner's manual a little while ago and it said to use RV toilet paper and chemicals.

Hopefully, your rig came with all of its manuals. I would read them over to see what they say about it. When in doubt, read the bible.

But of course! Sales is coin operated, ya know? Tis baloney. Pure and simple. I choose to not "science" this again, so just believe me.
Happy Trails
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 01:08 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan5711 View Post
Get roadside assistance,it's cheap, don't be without it.

Yes!
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 01:09 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Toilet paper. Scott 1000. Available everywhere via Walmart. Check Scott's website, commented there for RV usage.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 06:45 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Disposable gloves to have for dumping the tanks if you think you would need them.

In-line water filter along with that pressure regulator. Some CG's run high pressure and the water is not always the cleanest so the filter is a must. We found this out the hard way.

Water filters and adapter at Walmart for $23 with two filters so not too bad. Helps a lot.

Roof repair items in case of a leak. Don't want to be out somewhere and develop a leak and not be able to get to these items to fix it right away. Fuses like someone said for same reason.

Extension cord for inside and out. Usually have these at home already. We put a box of these items in one of the basements and can take it back into the house when home so we don't double buy.

Tool box with basic tools you feel you will need for repairs if you need to make them. If you don't have this you will definitely need them.

Have a great time!
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 06:17 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My MH only came with 1 fire extinguisher, so the first thing I did was buy 2 for the bedroom. 1 for each side of the bed. They are not for putting out a fire, but to aid in getting out.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:50 PM   #25
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I'd leave off the RV toilet paper and holding tank chemicals - neither are required. Any decent septic-safe TP will do nicely, and chemicals aren't needed at all.

If you buy everything that someone thinks is "necessary", you won't be able to make the payments on the motorhome. I would go slowly and add things as you go along and find out what works best for you. About all you really need are the sewer, water & electric hook-up stuff.

TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:49 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I carry five fire extinguishers...almost had a fire in a trailer once when two tires blew out and discovered the extinguisher that comes with RV's aren't worth a hoot.

So get a couple good ones...you just never know.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:08 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan5711 View Post
Get roadside assistance,it's cheap, don't be without it.

X2 on the Roadside Assistance. I would also add a spare tire, preferably mounted, but unmounted will help some . . . of course I'm prepared to be flamed for thinking a spare tire is a necessity! To each his own!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:11 PM   #28

First and foremost...

Patience.

Secondly...

A sense of humor.

Tags
ems, motorhome