Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2012, 02:27 PM   #1

Reservations required in the NE?

For the past two summers, we have spent most of that time out West with a jaunt to Alaska. We did all this without any reservations, and with no problems finding room in CGs. This summer, we are planning to hug the northeast coast line as much as possible and then concentrate on Maine's coastal areas and maybe on to Nova Scotia. We will be in no hurry with no particular agenda...we like it that way.

What do you think, can we get away with this 'no reservations' approach on the eastern seaboard during the summer/fall months? Or would we be pressing our luck? Also, any good trip planners for the area(like the Milepost for Alaska) you could recommend?

Thanks...Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2012, 03:52 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My humble opinion for the northeast. Sometimes a tough call. I would suggest do you the take your time thing, try to decide where you will stay the next night(s) and give a call. Lots of times you will get a come on over, we have room. With that being said, some of the more popular campgrounds in equally popular areas can fill really fast. Places like Fishermans Memorial Park in RI (Could be fully reserved now), Salisbury Reservation in MA(same), some of the ME coast you might want to check a few days ahead.
OK, that took a lot of words to say I really am not sure. But have a great trip.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:13 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi scenic route,
Those living in the north east are big on holidays to get out of the cities. Consider having reservations for every holiday week. That starts at Easter and goes through Columbus Day (week). I know Columbus Day may not be considered a holiday biggie, but in the NE it is the last chance before winter.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:51 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Considering the density (population), limited camping season, high cost of fuel......
I'd say reservations will be your friend.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two Key Words! Coast and Summer,you might have trouble getting a reservation today-even
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
damdannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:51 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Last summer - 20 NE states, 4 months. Reservation one time well in advance - 4th of JJuly. All the rest only one or two days in advance. Only one time did not get our first choice. Enjoy Maine, positively best state IMO. Don't remember offical state website but it also gets my vote for best. Try Blistered Fingers music festival and North Country Rivers. So far Maine only state we are planning on going back to spend lots of time. If you can't find things to do PM me.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:01 AM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Not sure why you would think Maine is any different than any other tourist area.

Think about this, our season is short. The coastal area is a prime tourist area. No one knows about the other Maine.(Inland) You want a beautiful spot on the water within short distance to everything else.

I think I have answered your question. Booking now may be too late for many areas. Your on your own.

Consider one of the many state web sites. We are "Vacationland" and the state does a wonderful job of providing information on line depending of the subject of choice.
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:11 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Old Orchard Beach Maine, has 8,000 year-round residents (3,000 of which, myself included, live in RVs year round), 35 campgrounds (ranging from 200 - 750 spaces each), and between the May to August: 2million tourists (30,000 of them from Quebec during LaKermese - most of whom have life-time reservations and have come every year for 30, 40, 50 years or more), 75% of those 2million tourists arriving in RVs and expecting to find a place to park.

Most get here and find out that many campgrounds have a waiting list backlogged 4 or 5 years or more. There are people who have said they waited 10 years before they got high enough on the list to park.

Yeah, if you ain't got a reservation, you ain't getting in. And you'll find most of the NE Coast the same way.
EelKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Maine campgrounds were not as busy last year as in years past, so you could do well without reservations. Normally I would not make that bet in July & August, though.

I pretty much agree that reservations for holiday weekends are a must. Also popular destinations within an hour or so of major cities tend to be full nearly every weekend in July & August. Otherwise, I would probably call the day i planned to arrive and get there early, say by 3 -4 pm. You can usually get a site if you arrive before the crowd.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #10

My thanks to all that replied. I will look up some of the CGs mentioned. I understand some CGs don't open until May, so I hope I have some time to research some of them before they fill. It's off to the book store to see if I can find a guide of some sort for the NE. I'll also hit up the Maine websites. We have never been to Maine or any NE state further up the coast than Myrtle Beach, so this is all new territory. Much research is needed...

I like the 'unknown'(inland) Maine idea and hope to visit that part of Maine as well. It's just that we have seen a lot of the Maine coastal pictures and it sure would be nice to spend some time in some of those picturesque places. Don't really need to camp on top of them, just have the ability to visit via Jeep. Any suggestions on CGs with that in mind?

It would be nice to use some CGs as a destination stops while in Maine(3-7 days)...and on the way up for that matter. It looks like it is going to be difficult to do that considering the popularity of the area and our inability to nail down specific places on specific dates. We're 'wingers' at best.

Thanks... Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
Old 03-03-2012, 01:51 PM   #11

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
I will look up some of the CGs mentioned. I understand some CGs don't open until May, so I hope I have some time to research some of them before they fill. ... Don't really need to camp on top of them, just have the ability to visit via Jeep. Any suggestions on CGs with that in mind?....It would be nice to use some CGs as a destination stops while in Maine(3-7 days)...and on the way up for that matter. It looks like it is going to be difficult to do that considering the popularity of the area and our inability to nail down specific places on specific dates. We're 'wingers' at best.
The campgrounds may not open until May, but I expect many of them are taking reservations now. When we traveled the Maritime Provinces a few years ago, we made reservations ahead of time (more than a month). Most campgrounds were full when we got there, with our space empty and waiting. Also keep in mind many campgrounds in the northeast are older and were laid out in the days when rigs were smaller. Big rig sites can be elusive in some areas.

As far as specific campgrounds are concerned, we stayed at Red Apple Campground outside of Kennebunkport, ME last summer. Nice centrally located place with many permanents but a number of spaces allocated to travelers. We had made reservations well in advance and were glad we did. A space or two might have remained vacant for one night in between reservations but that was about it.

I agree about liking to 'wing it'. That's what we did in Alaska with the exception of the July 4 weekend on the Kenai. But in New England, seems like it's the 4th all summer along the coast.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Dimes View Post
I agree about liking to 'wing it'. That's what we did in Alaska with the exception of the July 4 weekend on the Kenai. But in New England, seems like it's the 4th all summer along the coast.
It's starting to sink in...time for a change in 'style', me thinks. Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
Old 03-03-2012, 03:10 PM   #13

We travelled through the maritimes and in Maine last year without reservations made more than a day ahead as we did not want to be locked into a travel schedule. On our visit to Bar Harbor we stopped at the Walmart about noon and started calling campgrounds. Had no problem finding one although all are expensive. I suppose though if we had wanted to be in the Park we may have been out of luck.

Its a matter of preference I guess as we have a friend who never travels without reservations made weeks ahead.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #14

Thanks wd4kaq...a flicker of hope. I just found a CG just north of Bar Harbor...no reservations allowed. That sounds like a good place to stay for a couple of weeks...if ya can get in! Still look'n. Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'