Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2013, 07:28 AM   #15
Commercial Member

the only thing big govt has downsized is our wallet. when big govt awards a private company such a lucrative contract with the potential to add such scams, you can bet campaign contributions were involved.
not saying all politicians are crooked, but all funeral parlors stock cork screws for political interments.

azpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2018, 02:23 PM   #16

Thumbs down Reserve America Scam Still Fraudulent Transactions May 2018

I got a charge for $79.95 for a year of Active Network after making a reservation on Reserve America for a state park campground. This just happened and I did some research and found that Active Network purchased Reserve America several years ago. It appears that they believe that Active Network can charge you $79.95 because you did business with Reserve America. There are class action lawsuits going on about this practice and Better Business Bureau rates both companies very low.

I had to cancel my credit card and log a fraud case with my credit card company.

So what value does Active Network provide? Nothing that I can understand. Active Network is a company that handles online booking of bike races and foot races along with some other events that I would never take part in. They say there are check boxes on the Reserve America website so beware but I didn't see the boxes and this is not ethical business.

I can't believe that all of the states that use Reserve America for their campgrounds allow this nonsense to go on.

larrygray2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 05:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrygray2 View Post
I got a charge for $79.95 for a year of Active Network after making a reservation on Reserve America for a state park campground. This just happened and I did some research and found that Active Network purchased Reserve America several years ago. It appears that they believe that Active Network can charge you $79.95 because you did business with Reserve America. There are class action lawsuits going on about this practice and Better Business Bureau rates both companies very low.

I had to cancel my credit card and log a fraud case with my credit card company.

So what value does Active Network provide? Nothing that I can understand. Active Network is a company that handles online booking of bike races and foot races along with some other events that I would never take part in. They say there are check boxes on the Reserve America website so beware but I didn't see the boxes and this is not ethical business.

I can't believe that all of the states that use Reserve America for their campgrounds allow this nonsense to go on.
Dang, many states use them for their State parks.....not good!
Old 05-06-2018, 05:57 PM   #18
a.k.a. Papa

Jayco Owners Club
Guess I'm just lucky.
I've been using RA for the past 10 years and have never had a problem or been swindled into any offer I didn't agree to.
But then I read all the fine print next to any check box, especially if it's already checked for me.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:25 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic868 View Post
Guess I'm just lucky.
I've been using RA for the past 10 years and have never had a problem or been swindled into any offer I didn't agree to.
But then I read all the fine print next to any check box, especially if it's already checked for me.
Same thing here. I would say at least 10 years for us with no problem. But, i do keep an eye on my credit card to make sure nothing funny goes on with them, or anyone else.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Guess I'm just lucky.
My guess would be this. There was probably a box that was already checked. You would need to opt out (uncheck) it to prevent it from happening. Very sneaky.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:53 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
There are checkboxes, but they are easy to think that you’re agreeing to the reservation terms, not an additional “service.” I came very close to submitting one of those forms a couple of weeks ago. Ticked me off but what can you do?
Old 05-06-2018, 10:07 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
I think it sucks that we can’t reserve sites directly with the campground and must use a profit hungry private party.
I would rather pay the extra fee to the US gov vs a private Corp.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:32 AM   #23

Been using RA for like 15 plus years
never had a problem.

when any 'weirdo pages' pop up like this 'buy and get this great deal' you have to slow down, UNcheck the box they have checked and move forward.

I almost got caught and moved forward and slowed down and thought, very sneaky for me to UNcheck the box HAHA But I catch these rackets.....but I wish RA would not have a racket like this!

ugh

but it is the customer who needs to go slow and read thru the reservation process to the final confirmation. Just do that and you got all this covered.
Whirrlly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 01:57 PM   #24

Exclamation 10 Experience With Reserve America

Quote:
Guess I'm just lucky.
I have been making RA reservations for 10 years also but never had any problem. I have read many complaints of cancellation fees and missed and lost bookings. I guess there are check boxes but I don't remember that I saw them. What is weird is I camped in mid April and made the reservation with RA in mid March but the charge to my card came May 4th.

Why did the charge come so long after the transaction?

BTW I did get an email on May 4th notifying me that I signed up for a year of Active Network which made me check my credit card which was charged $79.95. I am going to pursue this with my state government just because I am mad enough to do something to try to fix this. There are probably hundreds of these charges every day to unknowing campers. There have been times when I haven't checked my credit card or email for weeks because I have been boondocking.
Old 05-07-2018, 02:18 PM   #25

Active Network Reply To My Complaint Today

Below is the response I got from Active Network I received today in response to a complaint I input on their website. It appears they don't care that they charged me for nothing I requested.

Thank you for using ReserveAmerica for your camping needs. It is my pleasure to assist you today.

I am sorry you had a problem on the web site.

If you signed up for Active Advantage when you made your reservation.
You need to contact them to cancel the request and ask for a full refund.

You would have to click the box on the web site to accept the offer.

Phone number for Active Advantage is 866-561-0647 Open Mon - Fri 7 AM - 5 PM

email address- ActiveAdvantage@active.com

We wish you the best in all your outdoor recreation experiences.

Thank you,

Terry

ReserveAmerica.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------

5/5/2018 3:53 PM ET

Subject: Active Network Scam - Fraud

Description: I made a reservation for Florida Caverns SP and I was billed by Active Network for $79.95 for a membership. This they say because I booked on your site. This is fraud and unethical. Do you know this is happening. I am calling my state (Florida) Attorney General about this on Monday. Other states have sued Active Network and gotten settlements. Can you explain how you are involved in this scam?

Reservation/ID #2-34930278
Old 05-07-2018, 02:26 PM   #26

Better Business Bureau Reply to my complaint

Below is the email I received from the Better Business Bureau. It looks like someone else has had a problem too.

May 7, 2018

Better Business Bureau has received your customer review submission. The review will not be processed for the following reason:

A complaint has already been filed. Unfortunately, you can file a review, once a complaint has already been submitted.
This mailing was sent to .

This message is being sent to you by Better Business Bureau Serving Upstate NY.
Old 05-07-2018, 04:57 PM   #27

Original poster here. This is a 5 year old thread and a few people responded that they too were charged this fee. Then all went quiet but maybe they figured that enough time has passed that they could try it again. We need to stay alert so this type of behavior doesn't become common practice.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:00 PM   #28

Saw an ad for s trial offer yesterday when reserving via RA. I did the best I could to make sure I didn't sign up for anything. Guess we'll see what happens.

Kxbronco is offline   Reply With Quote