Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #1

Reserve America Active Advantage Scam

I just thought I would give everyone a heads up on what I would call as many others have a scam. If you want to reserve a site at many federal or state parks, it is necessary to register at Reserve America as they handle the reservations. When you do this you may get signed up with a second company called Active Advantage which supposedly provides discounts to its members. I unknowingly as did some of my friends get signed up for a trial membership which if you don't respond to becomes a one year membership at $64.95 charged against the credit card you used on Reserve America. I am livid and expect much better treatment from the state and federal government as they allow Reserve America to turn over your credit card information to this third party without your knowledge or consent. So if you have used or intend to use Reserve America services, be very careful so you don't get billed for services you don't want. I know some may say this is a worthwhile membership to have, and I don't know anything about that, but as for their business practices, well that is a completely different matter. I am also now concerned that this outfit may do other unscrupulous things with my card number and I am considering having a new number issued. So please check your credit card statements for unauthorized charges. I am contacting my state attorney general and I am open for suggestions on who to contact on the federal side. Camp On.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Google it and you'll find lots of complaints about them.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
As I recall, the last time I used Reserve America there was an "offer" that came up that sounds like what you're talking about. I always decline such come-ons and did so with that one.

No mysterious charges on my CC bill (I certainly agree with your advice to always check statements).
Old 04-16-2013, 12:27 PM   #4

I always look out for things like that, but they either signed us up anyway, or we all missed it. I think they just signed us up anyway, as I don't think all three of us missed it. I called them and they said they would remove the charge. The reason I posted it was I know some people aren't too good at keeping an eye out for unauthorized charges. It still has me hot as this is just not right.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:52 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Seems as the Govt. agency that contracts with Reserve America should tell them to stop the practice or they will find another company to deal with. It's fine to send you an email with their offer, but none of this if you don't respond we will take that as an OK to bill you. That's a load of horse hockey in my opinion..
1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale) SOLD !!![* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 (For Sale)* Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Disabled Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
99-Am.Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #6

Yep, it's a bit tricky but if you pay attention there is a clear way to say no to the membership, as well as, the magazine subscriptions that people sometimes complain about. If you are the kind of person that does not read the "fine print" on web sites, I can see where you might miss it. DW had this happen, and canceling and getting a credit was straightforward and easy.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:39 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The companies get sneakier and sneakier trying to slip one by on you. I refuse to use RA unless that is the ONLY way I can get a reservation. There were so many complaints about RA when Texas state Parks used them, they dropped them.

Ken
Old 04-16-2013, 07:52 PM   #8

Quote:
As I recall, the last time I used Reserve America there was an "offer" that came up that sounds like what you're talking about. I always decline such come-ons and did so with that one.
The problem arises when the box is already ticked (and the offer is invariably in smaller fainter print) and you have to actually opt out by unticking the box. Unless you have to physically opt in for such offers, I would regard it as plain fraud.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:52 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Thanx for the heads up. I made a number of reservations using RA...this season...I'll make sure my DW double checks our CC.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #10

I would bet that RA donates to senators and congressmen that sit on the committees overseeing national parks, the forest service, and the BLM.........

AND the legislation setting up these "services" goes back to legislators getting a "pitch" (and a donation) from folks who had an idea to provide these "services"
Old 04-16-2013, 11:12 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Heavy sigh...

On the one hand, everybody hollers about downsizing "Big Gummint"...and on the other hand, small attempts to do so such as privatization of services is a bad thing.

Onward through the fog!
Old 04-17-2013, 06:42 AM   #12

I personally like the efficiency or the Reserve America system. I do not like the fee structure. I used to hate calling some overworked ranger who could really give two patooies whether the reservation on a pencil chart was accurate or not. The problem is that RA is part of Ticketmaster. Ticketmaster always ranks near the top of "most hated" and "worst customer service" surveys of businesses. Sometimes you just have to deal with the devil or do without.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:48 PM   #13

Just got off the phone with Active..I also got stung by the Reserve America web site. An offer was made for "free" mags. I declined it and continued with my reservation. After completion and signing off of RA site I received an e-mail to the effect that I would start to receive my subscriptions in about 30 days. I called RA and was told that "sure, we are affiliated with Active..here's the number to cancel". After many calls I was finally told by a real live person that they didn't have any info on me and that the "Decline" must have worked.
Well, guess what, yesterday the first mag showed up. After about an hour on the phone I finally got a guy "Nick" to quit asking me if I just wanted to cancel the "renewal" and got him to promise me that I would not get any more mags.
Scary part is I didn't give the "offer" site any of my information...Yet they wound up with my name, address..AND credit card no. Gee I wonder how many other sites Reserve America shares this info with.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:29 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
When making online purchases I tend to use my discover card because with Discover you can get a virtual account number that is only good for one transaction. In this case only RA would have access to charge you and active would not get approval for the transaction. I have another card that will give me a virtual number but then you must choose how many days the number is active. I don't use this card online, any number of transaction could be performed under this plan.

dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote