Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by datrbone8 View Post
I think they don't charge enough for cancellations. It discourages the pigs who reserve places and don't use them causing people who really want to camp there the inconvenience of hunting for other places
Pigs?? I've had to cancel reservations twice in the past year because my parents died. You do understand that this is probably a contracted service?

pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #30

If we just think about this, RA runs a reservation system and gets $9.00 for a one night reservation fee at a NY State Park with a campground and the State of New York gets $22.00 for that site and has to run a State park and Campground . I think the state of New York's cost just may be a little higher then a reservation system. So who has the better ROI. Dollars and Cents

Mikeeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #31

I like the system used by the State of AZ. You can check out the park, see what sites are available for your stay, find out the length of RV it will accommodate, whether it has water/electric (how many amps) and even get a picture showing the exact site you want to reserve. The parks here get full in the winter season and it's good to know you can get a reservation where and when you want it.

People complaining about the cost must not have booked tickets to concerts or shows online lately.
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:55 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
People complaining about the cost must not have booked tickets to concerts or shows online lately.
And I have given up on concerts and show due to the outrageous cost of the tickets.....

Ken
Old 09-02-2013, 09:15 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
And I have given up on concerts and show due to the outrageous cost of the tickets.....

Ken
Everyone knows that Reserve America is part of Ticketmaster, don't they? High concert/show fees with exclusive reservation contracts is a business model that has worked well for Ticketmaster, so, to me it is not surprising they have used the same model for RA. I personally think the fees are high, but I am willing to pay them because their reservation system,for us, has worked flawlessly and efficiently, and we really do not stay very often in campgrounds using RA reservations.

Someone asked earlier about reservation fees at hotels. We just booked a stay at a vacation resort in another country. There was a significant reservation fee there.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:38 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
Clifftall
Go back and read post #1 of this thread.

The example given by Mikeeg, to illustrate Reserve America's new pricing and cancellation policy, happens to be a reservation at a NYS Park.
The example could just as well have been any other park that Reserve America books reservations for, (the Reserve America policies are the same for every park they book reservations for).

Mel
'96 Safari
Of 4 States I picked at random, all using RA for reservations, the registration fees (if any), cancellation fees/charges, reservation change fees/charges, and terms were DIFFERENT for all 4.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:53 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Yes and Texas state parks tried RA for a couple of years and with all of the complaints, they went back to an in house system. You could look at parks 10 months our and there were all shown as FULL. Call the park and they had plenty of sites...often the week before a trip. Top off the poor performance for reservations and the outrageous fees, people started calling the parks direct.

Ken
This is not unusual for popular parks REGARDLESS of the reservation system. Many State and County Parks do not release all of the sites to the reservation system ... pretty much depends on the total number of sites within an individual park. They hold back some sites for walk-ins ... you may or may not get one of these sites via a phone call.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:54 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Of 4 States I picked at random, all using RA for reservations, the registration fees (if any), cancellation fees/charges, reservation change fees/charges, and terms were DIFFERENT for all 4.
No argument there......each state has their own rules, policies and fees.

However.... the Reserve America policies and fees are the same for any campsite reservation you book through them.

The OP's complaint was specifically about Reserve America , (not about the different state policies).
Old 09-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
No argument there......each state has their own rules, policies and fees.

However.... the Reserve America policies and fees are the same for any campsite reservation you book through them.

The OP's complaint was specifically about Reserve America , (not about the different state policies).
No ... the OP's complaint was specifically about booking a New York State Park site using Reserve America. Those were the fees he used as an example and complained about. He used no other examples, did not reference any other parks, nor did he reference any other fees/charges as imposed by Reserve America.

And, I'll repeat my position. Florida State/Reserve America have DIFFERENT fees/charges/terms from New York State/Reserve America.

... if I use the State Park website to book a site in a Florida State Park (using Reserve America) the fees/charges are NOT the same as using the State park website to book a New York State Park (using Reserve America). If I go to the Reserve America website and book the same two State Park sites (1 in Florida and 1 in New York) the fees/charges are the same as if I booked from the State websites and they are DIFFERENT from each other (no reservation fee in Florida, $9.00 in New York). Many other states (using Reserve America) have different fees and T's and C's.

If your position is that Reserve America has a standard fee and policy for booking PRIVATE campgrounds, that may or may not be the case. I have not tried every private campground using Reserve America nor have I found a schedule of Standard Fees on the Reserve America website.

I'm not defending either the State policies and fees or those of Reserve America. What I am saying is that States using Reserve America for their reservations have fees/charges and terms that vary.

Or, to phrase it differently, someone may be perfectly satisfied with fees/charges/terms in one state and not in another.

And yes ... you need to read the sections regarding those fees/charges/terms for EVERY state in which you reserve a site.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:34 PM   #38

All fed agencies had their budgets vut 32% in the sequester so of couse they're going to look for c as sh from the public.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #39

I don't have a problem if the State of New York was pocketing the $9.00 increase in site fees but there is a problem with RA pocketing somewhere around 40% of first nights fee for the service of booking the sites. The State Of New York has some great campgrounds and they are well worth the rate per night of $31.00 at Ausable.
Mikeeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:18 PM   #40

It's is the result of people screaming for "smaller government" and insisting upon the outsourcing and contracting out of services that traditionally were government functions. The chickens have come home to roost.
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:55 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeeg View Post
I don't have a problem if the State of New York was pocketing the $9.00 increase in site fees but there is a problem with RA pocketing somewhere around 40% of first nights fee for the service of booking the sites. The State Of New York has some great campgrounds and they are well worth the rate per night of $31.00 at Ausable.

Here are State Of Washington Parks fees. State of Washington does not use Reserve America. I do not know if the reservation system is internal. Their fees look similar enough (to me) to New York State.

• Partial-utility campsite: A standard campsite with the addition of electricity. May have domestic water and/or sewer.
  • Full-utility campsite: A standard campsite with the addition of electricity, water and sewer.
Basic camping fees:
May 15 Sept. 15 (peak season)
Primitive campsite and water trail camping: $12
Standard campsite: $23 non-premium site, $26 premium site
Partial-utility campsite*: $30 non-premium site, $35 premium site
Full-utility campsite*: $32 non-premium site, $37 premium site

It would appear you have acknowledged that the State of New York is receiving the $9.00 Reservation Fee (as opposed to Reserve America directly charging you for their services). Is the State of New York "pocketing" the $9.00 ? ... I would like to think they are just meeting the same budget requirements the taxpayers have insisted on.

Can you explain how you arrived at your conclusion that Reserve America is receiving 40% of the first night's fee? ... I'm not saying they don't but I have no insight into the internal finances of the State of New York.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:58 PM   #42

Quote:
It's is the result of people screaming for "smaller government" and insisting upon the outsourcing and contracting out of services that traditionally were government functions. The chickens have come home to roost.
yup ... X2