Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #43

I said I have no problem if New York State was charging $31.00 for the site and using and internal reservation system. The reservation fee I believe is going to RA for the use of there system. The site fee for first night is $22.00 dollars that the State is charging and with out a calculator I have guesstamated the $9.00 dollars to be approx. 40% of first nights site fee. WITH OUT A CALCULATOR!!!

Mikeeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2013, 11:29 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by datrbone8 View Post
It's is the result of people screaming for "smaller government" and insisting upon the outsourcing and contracting out of services that traditionally were government functions. The chickens have come home to roost.
No, the chickens will have come to roost when you big government types run out of other people's money. If you think a good use of tax dollars is to hire government employees to take campground reservations because the government always does it better, cheaper, friendlier, then you need to spend more time in line at the DMV. All these non essential services should be out sourced.

Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:43 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeeg View Post
I said I have no problem if New York State was charging $31.00 for the site and using and internal reservation system. The reservation fee I believe is going to RA for the use of there system. The site fee for first night is $22.00 dollars that the State is charging and with out a calculator I have guesstamated the $9.00 dollars to be approx. 40% of first nights site fee. WITH OUT A CALCULATOR!!!

Ahah ... I see ... although most other states that use Reserve America don't charge a fee for reserving a site you are asserting the $9.00 that New York charges goes directly to Reserve America. But if the same state charged $9.00 extra per day (you are OK with $31 instead of $22) for using an internal reservation service you say "no problem" .... I see.

Well, you could be right and other states just spread the cost differently. For instance, other states might just raise the daily rate by $2.00.

In any case, that's still only an assumption that $9.00 goes directly to Reserve America. Maybe so ... maybe no.

All I'm saying is that if New York State had a fee schedule that said "Free Reservations, 1st night's stay is $31.00 and all subsequent nights are $22.00" you would apparently be happy (and that's still cheaper than the $31.00 per night you think would be OK).

Mostly, you just don't like Reserve America or maybe outsourcing in general. That's certainly your right and it's not necessary to back up your dislike by referring to a $9.00 fee that could actually be used for anything the State of New York Park System wants to use it for.

Frankly, I think the more important message is:

All states that use Reserve America set their own fees, charges, and terms. When reserving sites in multiple states, even though you are using a single reservation system (Reserve America), reservation fees, cancellation fees, and the actual terms regarding those fees/charges may be significantly different. Read the terms and look at all charges for each state before you book !! When planning a multi-state trip, be aware of ALL of the cancellation terms and charges if you need to cancel the trip.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:50 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
No, the chickens will have come to roost when you big government types run out of other people's money. If you think a good use of tax dollars is to hire government employees to take campground reservations because the government always does it better, cheaper, friendlier, then you need to spend more time in line at the DMV. All these non essential services should be out sourced.
Well ... I have mixed feelings about insourcing/outsourcing but in the case of a reservation system that is nearly identical (looks the same to the user) regardless of what state park you are booking ... I like the concept.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:31 AM   #47
laj

Quote:

x 2. put your money where gov can't find it.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:43 AM   #48

Quote:
I never realized that the DMV and park recreational areas were "non essential services". Park service employees did the job just fine prior to corporations being given the opportunity to stick their noses in the trough. Corporations are run for profit- Those profits come out of your pocket when these functions are outsourced. I don't suppose that camping fees (or taxes) went down when these services were outsourced. What happened to the "savings" derived from giving the task to a corporation ?
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:46 AM   #49

I'am sure that after all this debate that if I want to camp in most State and Federal Parks I will have to deal with RA and since I find State and Federal Campgounds to be the closest thing to camping in the wilds I will have to deal with them. I think most owner operaters will also use them since it seems to make there life easier, in my mind this will have to be. I just have feelings that if state and federal workers can maintain the many hundreds of thousands of acres that they could also handle the reservation system. The End!!

PS: I hope this may keep us all aware of the industries fees and speak out when we feel things need change or could be made better off for all in the camping world.

Thank You all for speaking out on these policys.

Mikeg
Old 09-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by datrbone8 View Post

I never realized that the DMV and park recreational areas were "non essential services". Park service employees did the job just fine prior to corporations being given the opportunity to stick their noses in the trough. Corporations are run for profit- Those profits come out of your pocket when these functions are outsourced. I don't suppose that camping fees (or taxes) went down when these services were outsourced. What happened to the "savings" derived from giving the task to a corporation ?
I see that you've bought into the "profit is evil" mantra. You would rather pay in taxes rather than, perish the thought" some soulless business make a nickel of profit. The profit incentive is what drives private enterprise to be more efficient and customer friendly. I'm sick to death of what we have allowed our selves to become and your attitude of "I want the government to do it" is an excellent example.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:29 AM   #51

Quote:
I see that you've bought into the "profit is evil" mantra. You would rather pay in taxes rather than, perish the thought" some soulless business make a nickel of profit. The profit incentive is what drives private enterprise to be more efficient and customer friendly. I'm sick to death of what we have allowed our selves to become and your attitude of "I want the government to do it" is an excellent example.
No, you've bought into the mantra that government is evil. You completely miss my point. If giving the reservation system to Reserve America saved money, where are the savings? The costs have increased and I don't imagine taxpayers have saved a dime. So you're getting the same services but at a higher cost. If there was any savings I might agree with you. The parks are a public resource. They belong to us and shouldn't be a source of profit to anyone at our expense.

and that's all I have to say about that ...
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:33 AM   #52

Thank You Datrbone8!!!
Old 09-04-2013, 11:15 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeeg View Post
I just have feelings that if state and federal workers can maintain the many hundreds of thousands of acres that they could also handle the reservation system. The End!!

Mikeg
I can certainly agree with that ... and Thanks! to all those people that do such a great job!