Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2013, 08:30 AM   #1

Angry Reserve America and Reservations

I have not booked thru Reserve America since last fall and did not today as I guess they have changed there canc. fees. I was surprised to read there canc.policy or change your reservation and LOSE $9.00 reservation fee plus $9.00 fee for changes and also first night rate. This adds up to $40.00 for changing or canc. New York State park campground night!! Is this new policy or did I miss this on all my passed reservations. New York also charges $5.95 fee per night for out of state camper, is this out of control or is it Me.
Mikeeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2013, 09:12 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Seems like everybody is jumping onto the "FEE" as another way of generating income. Charge you for making a reservation and then charge you again for canceling. Banks have been doing it for years, so why not Reserve America. City, counties and States all have adopted FEES for what ever. Just another reason not to book reservations. If we can't get into a park we just go up the road to another one. safe tracels.. ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:16 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I avoid RA and encourage everyone else to when at all possible.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:55 AM   #4

We will be going north Tuesday and just plan on winging it Lake George ,Lake Champlain then down the St. Lawrence to Clayton and home down Rt 81. With the holiday over and leafs not turned yet I think will be fine. We love the state parks and conservation areas of N.Y. not to much in the way of services but great sites with plenty of room to stretch out.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:57 AM   #5

Carolina Campers
I use RA all the time. I rarely cancel a reservation, so not an issue. RA is better than trying to cancel at many CGs like KOA.

Besides, it is a real pain when some people reserve the choice sites in several camp sites, just because they can't decide what they want to do, and then cancel at the last minute, leaving others without the option to reserve the sight.

Frankly, I actually think it is a good thing they are doing this. It prevents those type of practices from people that don't think about how their actions impact others. If they loose a few bucks, maybe they will be more thoughtful before making reservations that they don't have plans to use.
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeeg View Post
I have not booked thru Reserve America since last fall and did not today as I guess they have changed there canc. fees. I was surprised to read there canc.policy or change your reservation and LOSE $9.00 reservation fee plus $9.00 fee for changes and also first night rate. This adds up to $40.00 for changing or canc. New York State park campground night!! Is this new policy or did I miss this on all my passed reservations. New York also charges $5.95 fee per night for out of state camper, is this out of control or is it Me.
Not good news!
Thanks for the heads up!
Although we don't reserve often, (only 8-10 times in the last 13 years, 105k miles), we will not be using Reserve America again.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:20 AM   #7

I have no problem with the cancellation fee Of first night and even the $9.00 fee to cancel but the $9.00 to make a reservation that's a little to much. When was the last time you paid to reserve a hotel room,even the Ritz does not charge you for reserving there rooms. I was in the rental industry for 33 yrs. and fully understand time and days are money but never charged a fee for someone to reserve a skid steer or pump and generator. This time of the yr. in New England there are plenty of empty sites for walkins or last minute stops so why are they so independent. I belive all State and Federal agencies are grabbing ever buck they can a where they can.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:20 AM   #8

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
I use RA all the time. I rarely cancel a reservation, so not an issue. RA is better than trying to cancel at many CGs like KOA.

Besides, it is a real pain when some people reserve the choice sites in several camp sites, just because they can't decide what they want to do, and then cancel at the last minute, leaving others without the option to reserve the sight.

Frankly, I actually think it is a good thing they are doing this. It prevents those type of practices from people that don't think about how their actions impact others. If they loose a few bucks, maybe they will be more thoughtful before making reservations that they don't have plans to use.
Glad they are doing it. Maybe you will think before making a reservation.

No problem at all with this policy.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #9

I have never cancelled a reservation thru RA but everyone has a problem at some time. I just think charging $9.00 fee to allow me to reserve is a lot off the wall . A service fee to pay for a nights stay at a $22.00 dollar site is some where between 40 % and 50 % fee for the service to reserve state or Federal tax payers land for one evening. I understand all the upkeep and labor involved but I though that's what the camping fees where for.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:54 AM   #10

I think they don't charge enough for cancellations. It discourages the pigs who reserve places and don't use them causing people who really want to camp there the inconvenience of hunting for other places
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:05 AM   #11

Camping fees are fine just don't charge 40% or better to give me as a tax payer the right to reserve our own land.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:43 PM   #12

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeeg View Post
Camping fees are fine just don't charge 40% or better to give me as a tax payer the right to reserve our own land.
If you think they are making a real profit, you may need to rethink the cost of providing all the great ammonites you have in those parks.

Well worth the price. If they all go private, you don't realize how much more you would pay.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #13

This is a N.Y. State Park policy. Fees vary by advance notice.
Other states have different fees and charges. I think you are giving Reserve America a bum rap.

From N.Y. State Parks website:

"Cancellations If you cancel your reservation you will be assessed fees. It's important to know the closer to your arrival date you cancel, the less money you will receive back as a refund.
Cancelling 8 days or more prior to arrival - Reservation fee $9.00 + Cancellation Fee $9.00
Cancelling 7 days or less prior to arrival - Reservation fee $9.00 + Cancellation Fee $9.00 + the cost of the first nights stay. (this amount varies based on the cost of your site). Please note: All fees are retained if you fail to arrive and do not inform the park of a cancellation in advance.
To cancel a reservation prior to your scheduled arrival, you can cancel online or contact the Reservation Center at 1-800-456-2267. To cancel a reservation within 1 day of arrival (OPRHP facilities) or 2 days of your arrival (DEC facilities) you must call the park."

And here's the one from Florida ... no charge to book but $17.75 to cancel.

"CANCELLING A RESERVATION

Cancellations up to the day before arrival may be made for a fee of $17.75. If you want to cancel on or after the day of arrival, contact the park, directly. You will be charged the first night’s use fee, in addition to the $17.75 cancellation fee."
Old 09-02-2013, 01:09 PM   #14

I don't think parks and campgrounds, golf courses and other State and Federal facilities make a big profits but I do think a % of tax dollars are going to support them along with the fees they charge, but I do think RA and some states are making $ off the public who use these. The fees that are charged for reserving are not charged by all states, I think this to be states that have a very hard time making the budget go around and we won't get into double and triple dipping we all no it goes on and some states are to far behind the 8 ball to ever catch up fees or no fees. End of story!!