Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
You know, I don't have a problem with cancelation fees...what I do have a problem with is the outsourcing to these guys. Look at the average cost of a state campground without the private vendor taking reservations. Compare it to these guys...the numbers suggest a mark up of the state number by maybe 30-40%. I'm sure they tout how much they can make the state, but in the end, all of us are paying more to camp in state parks as more states go to these guys

Do you smell the cost of camping significantly increasing during the next five years:(
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2013, 01:19 PM   #16

Carolina Campers
Prices rise, they have in the past, they will in the future.

There are those that think everything should be open market price driven. Maybe when that happens, people will realize what they lost, but I don't really think so. They will simply complain more.
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
I use RA all the time. I rarely cancel a reservation, so not an issue. RA is better than trying to cancel at many CGs like KOA.

Besides, it is a real pain when some people reserve the choice sites in several camp sites, just because they can't decide what they want to do, and then cancel at the last minute, leaving others without the option to reserve the sight.

Frankly, I actually think it is a good thing they are doing this. It prevents those type of practices from people that don't think about how their actions impact others. If they loose a few bucks, maybe they will be more thoughtful before making reservations that they don't have plans to use.
NO, It doesn't prevent them from the practice, but just costs them some money. People that tend to behave in that manner will spend money without regard. Money is not their problem, and in the end these exorbinant "fees" charged by ALL agencies just end up costing US ALL money!
CarlGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:47 PM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Prices rise, they have in the past, they will in the future.

There are those that think everything should be open market price driven. Maybe when that happens, people will realize what they lost, but I don't really think so. They will simply complain more.
My only point was that there is a significant increase in cost of campground fees in states using RA (their commission) compared to states using there own system. And if the fees were going into campground improvements or improving state finances, that'd be OK as well. Suspect they are going into RA coffers. JMHO

Inflation is a given.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It costs money to operate, whether you're private enterprise or government. I'm GLAD they 3rd party the reservation system. Who in the world thinks the govt could improve efficiency as much as private enterprise to keep the costs down to make them viably economic??? I'm confident it would be a lot more expensive if the govt applied their "business model".

Here in the state of AZ, a number of campgrounds have been shut down due to lack of funding. I don't care what they have to do to keep the gates open to these facilities. Those complaining the loudest about reservation/cancellation fees and other costs will probably be the ones grousing the most when they shut them all down because of lack of funding.

That's my $0.03 worth..!
Old 09-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #20
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Oil Guy View Post
It costs money to operate, whether you're private enterprise or government. I'm GLAD they 3rd party the reservation system. Who in the world thinks the govt could improve efficiency as much as private enterprise to keep the costs down to make them viably economic??? I'm confident it would be a lot more expensive if the govt applied their "business model".

Here in the state of AZ, a number of campgrounds have been shut down due to lack of funding. I don't care what they have to do to keep the gates open to these facilities. Those complaining the loudest about reservation/cancellation fees and other costs will probably be the ones grousing the most when they shut them all down because of lack of funding.

That's my $0.03 worth..!
Well said. I'll split that $0.03 with you.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:11 PM   #21

Here's my $.04 ..

I have no affiliation with RA and don't have any knowledge of their business.

I'll only reference Florida State Parks ...

I can go to the Florida State Park website and select each park along my route. I can, in most cases, tailor my campsite selection to vehicle size and electrical requirements. I can usually view pictures of each campsite. I can view the availability, by date, of each campsite that meets my needs. I can then string ALL of my stops together and pay for them with a single (or multiple) transaction and receive email verification. Yes, it's a combination of Florida services and the RA reservation system.

I have Florida State Parks reserved thru January of 2014 ... the actual campsites I want.

Works for me ... thanks Florida and the RA system.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:50 PM   #22

Quote:
If you think they are making a real profit, you may need to rethink the cost of providing all the great ammonites you have in those parks.

Well worth the price. If they all go private, you don't realize how much more you would pay.
tedgard01
The topic is Reserve America and their fees, NOT the state, and National parks.
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:56 PM   #23
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post

tedgard01
Yes but the op was referring to a NYS Park.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:00 PM   #24

Quote:
tedgard01

True ... but we don't really know what the RA fee is vs. what the state has told RA to collect. In other words, the terms and Conditions are on the N.Y. State website. In all likelihood it's a mutually agreed to fee schedule.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:02 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes and Texas state parks tried RA for a couple of years and with all of the complaints, they went back to an in house system. You could look at parks 10 months our and there were all shown as FULL. Call the park and they had plenty of sites...often the week before a trip. Top off the poor performance for reservations and the outrageous fees, people started calling the parks direct.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:39 PM   #26

Well stated TXiceman!!
Mikeeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Yes but the op was referring to a NYS Park.
Clifftall
Go back and read post #1 of this thread.

The subject is Reserve America and Reservations.

Mikeeg's complaint is about Reserve America and Reservations.

The example given by Mikeeg, to illustrate Reserve America's new pricing and cancellation policy, happens to be a reservation at a NYS Park.
The example could just as well have been any other park that Reserve America books reservations for, (the Reserve America policies are the same for every park they book reservations for).

BTW here is a site for Federal parks with more sensible cancellation policies: Federal recreation, camping and tour reservation information - Recreation.gov

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:11 PM   #28
Community Administrator

Quote:

Clifftall
Go back and read post #1 of this thread.
Not necessary. But thanks anyway