Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2013, 07:25 PM   #29

Superslif, TN has all of your requirements except the "retirement friendly" option. In my opinion, 9.75% sales tax is not very friendly to those with fixed incomes. And...the tax is 7.5% on food. Only prescription drugs are not taxed. So, if you move to TN, buy your food and clothing in NC, GA or KY. :-)

From an old Eagles song... "Every form of refuge has its price"

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2013, 07:34 PM   #30

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
We buy most clothes on the Internet, no taxes. There are some people that live on the border of other states like GA and buy gas and food there. We do buy food and gas in TN.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:48 PM   #31

We buy most stuff locally, but are not totally retired yet. I still work a full-time job, so not on fixed income even though DH is retired. We also have a small business and like to support others and we have grandchildren in local schools.

A slightly off topic note: I went to Goodwill the other day to buy some jeans and discovered they don't charge sales tax on used clothing. A few years ago, they put pockets in ladies jeans that were real pockets. All the new ones I have seen lately have these tiny little fake type pockets that I hate so I resort to Goodwill for "good" jeans and as a bonus, don't have to pay taxes on them. win-win!
Old 02-25-2013, 08:20 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTN View Post
Sequatchie county next to us does not have annual inspection on vehicles, I'm sure of that. Some smaller counties don't have it.
I agree on the no inspection in Sequatchie, as that is our county of residence. Motor home is tagged out of Marion (South) and no inspection there either. $24.00 for tag both counties and Marion tried for a wheel tax last time and it fell flat. Maybe I need to partial off some of the 6 acres we are on, install extra electric and septic. Waiting till our youngest graduates this summer, and goes to college, then selling it all and hitting the open road.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:28 PM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
Note on high sales tax:
That's why we will be fulltiming... to travel. So we will just reserve any major purchases for when we are out of state or shop on line. I think we can live with tax on minor purchases, we are only planning to be there periodically.
Love that freedom to move about as needed or desired.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:21 PM   #34

We have full timed for 3+ years.

We have not changed our domicile from Charlotte, North Carolina but I think we should. Each time we think we are ready to change some other question comes up and I donít get er done!

We have no investment or interest income.

We drive an older (Vintage) motorhome and may replace it this year with a gas class A.
We both receive some Social Security and are fulltime workampers.

For us it comes down to Texas, Tennessee, South Dakota or Florida, possibly in that order.

At issue for us is having to go to the State for Drivers License. Is it required in all the above States? And if we do have to go there to get the license how long does the license remain in effect?

If all other things are equal, right now TN seems the best choice only because we pass through there frequently on our various Workamper assignments.

Have looked at this particular issue on a regular basis since before we became fulltimers and still have not made up our minds. Right now we have no plans within the next 2 years to be in Texas or Florida or South Dakota, but that could be changed without too much trouble.

We are planning on replacing our Class C with a Class A within the next 12 to 18 months. It will be an older unit between 1996 and 2000. We currently pay Automotive insurance based on Charlotte, NC rates and even though it is quite low, we would probably be better in any of the other States (except FL?).

It is ridiculous for us to continue to pay North Carolina State income taxes if we don't have to, but in most cases we do have to pay those in the states we work (Kentucky, Virginia).

Sales Tax for us is wherever we are working at the time.

Personal Property Tax currently runs less than $100.00.

Drivers License and whether or not you have to take and exam seems to be the major issue. (Since none of the vehicles we are considering will be in excess of 20,000lbs.)

As far as mail forwarding we are currently members of Escapees and Good Samís. We are signed up for Good Samís mail service but have not started using it. We usually just change our addresses as needed and have a friend in NC forward the few things we still get there. I was not aware that there was a mail forwarding company in TN.

I really donít want to go another tax year without resolving this issue.

How say you?
Old 03-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekkers View Post
We looked very seriously at that question and decided to make Tennessee our domicile.
Pros:
No earned income tax, nor for retirement funds.
Tax on dividends and interest will have minimal application to us.
Vehicle registration very low.
Beautiful state.
Centrally located for us to visit children and grandchildren in Mississippi, N. Carolina and Indiana.
Found beautiful small piece of property with a lake view for low price and will put a gravel pad for parking when we are there, already has sewer and electric.
We don't believe the "voting issue" will be an issue since we will have a valid address and stay on that site for a few months total every year.
Tennessee is rated as one of the lowest total tax burden states.
Total taxes on diesel is fairly low.
No vehicle inspection.
We chose White County which is very low in taxes overall and close to Crossville which was mentioned in a post above. Clarksville, mentioned in another post because of increased insurance rate is near Fort Campbell. Any military base with young GIs is going to have an increased accident rate and hence higher insurance rates. I think you might find it not so high elsewhere but I haven't checked it out for White County yet.
Cons:
High sales tax, so we will not make any major purchases. Expect our rig to last.
Estate tax, so we will try not to die for the next few years as this is being phased out and will terminate in 2014. If we do, it will be someone else's problem, not ours. smile

This is our decision for when we go full time later this year or early next. If we are not satisfied, we can change it. It seemed more natural to us than South Dakota for example.
Irene and Jim
White Co. also has Golden Mountain OHV park. They have RV spots with up to 50 Amp service, "Jeep" trails, quad/UTV trails, and host the Southern Fourwheel Drive Association Dixie Run.
Good folks in that area!! DW and I love it!!!
Old 03-04-2013, 01:10 PM   #36

Itldo, as long as your NC license has not expired, you can get a TN license without taking a driving test. You will have to show up in person the first year because they want a vision test and a photo. After that, you can renew online.

Here is a link with the info about documents you need to bring:
Regular (Class D) License

I haven't had to go to the DMV in at least 15 years...I just renew online. When I first moved here (33 years ago) I let my GA license expire and had to take the written (now computerized) test. I passed by one question. Don't let your license expire!
Old 03-04-2013, 02:33 PM   #37

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Subscribing to this thread. Tops on our retirement locations is Crossville so I'm extremely interested in the opinions of those residing in TN. Thank you for your input.

Lori-
Hi Lori; I havn't had the pleasure of seeing you since the rally in Urbanna, Va. This is a very good thread and lots of honest information!

Concerning Crossville, Tn; We live just outside of Monterey, Tn, just on the border between Cumberland County (Crossville) and Putnam County (Cookeville). Our home is in Putnam Co. Crossville is a smaller town than Cookeville, but large enough to have most things...stores, restaurants and medical facilities. Cookeville is larger and has a very good hospital plus lots more restaurants, doctors and stores.

I can't say enough about the area. We have lived here for 10 years, retiring from Homestead, Fl and love the place. Golfing is great, plenty of RV campgrounds and there is an RV village in Crossville. The weather is of the 4 season type. Crossville is up on the Cumberland Plateau, so our summers are cooler, winters colder and there is more snow than locations off of the plateau. EG; Just had some snow...we got 3 or 4 inches here and they got a dusting in Cookeville.

Taxes are cheaper in Cumberland County than Putnam. I own a 2700 sq ft house on 4 acres and pay $1100.00 a year in taxes. No wheel tax in either county. It cost me $36.00 to register my 2012 Tiffin allegro and the cars are just as cheap. Auto insurance is less expensive than say, Nashville or Knoxville.

We are centrally located here which is a real plus as our kids are scattered to the 4 corners of the USA.

Sales tax is a bummer! We pay 9.75 % on just about everything, food included. When I purchased my motorhome last year in Florida. I paid 6 % to Florida and 1 % more to the county clerk in Cookeville...not the 9.75 %. I don't have enough dividend or investment income to worry about those taxes and a trust will protect what ever is left when we are both gone.

If you need anything specific, send me a PM or email.

Bob
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:14 PM   #38
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks, so much, for the info Bob! We're quite enamored with that area. Small towns more like where I'm from rather than the big city I live near now, but easy to get to Nashville & Knoxville & all there is in those areas to do.

We've got a 2100+sq ft home on barely 1/3 acre & pay $3400/yr in taxes. Guess what I save in property taxes in OH I can use to pay sales tax in TN. Paid 7% when we bought our coach (tax was on net - diff btwn coach price & our trade in. I know some places you pay on the full purchase price of the RV ). It's all a trade-off in the end, isn't it?

Thank you to everyone who's contributed to this thread. Keep those insights coming on TN residency. Us Yankees will be comin' down before long. We're a nice bunch.....really.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:36 AM   #39

Welcome to TN. We have been here for over 33 years and can't find much reason to go anywhere else.

Our plan was to sell our farm and full-time in the RV, but since the real estate market around here bombed, that's probably not a good option. We recently refinanced the amount that we owed to get a very small payment, so now we can retire and still afford to keep the farm and travel as much as we like.

If things pick up, we can sell it just so we don't have to worry about keeping the property up, but for now, it's not much of a drain financially. I don't think we want to get into renting.

The White county area has some neat waterfalls, caves and other natural areas that are very beautiful. Big South Fork National Park is close by and there are several TN state parks in that area too. Check out Burgess Falls, Rock Island State Park and Virgin Falls. And...when you come to the area, don't miss Fall Creek Falls State park. It's one of the best in the state.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:45 AM   #40

Hi Bob,
Maybe we should get a group of TN folks together for a meet up. We live in Cannon county which is home of the Short Mountain Distillery. :-)

We have a 90 acre farm with a 2500 sq ft triple wide manufactured home and and old farm house. I think our taxes are about the same...maybe $1200. Homeowners is another $800 maybe.

Several times, we have been to Jammin' at Hippie Jack's in Livingston and had a great time there.

My only current issue with where we are is the weather. I think it's too cold...want to winter in south Georgia or Florida. It was amazing...we went south last month and almost immediately, DH blood pressure got noticeably lower...came back to cold weather every other day and it is now going back up. I think it's the big swings in temps. Today, it will be 60's...tomorrow snow. Last year, this time it was in the 80's though. :-)
Old 03-05-2013, 07:03 AM   #41

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonekeepers View Post
Welcome to TN. We have been here for over 33 years and can't find much reason to go anywhere else.

Our plan was to sell our farm and full-time in the RV, but since the real estate market around here bombed, that's probably not a good option. We recently refinanced the amount that we owed to get a very small payment, so now we can retire and still afford to keep the farm and travel as much as we like.

If things pick up, we can sell it just so we don't have to worry about keeping the property up, but for now, it's not much of a drain financially. I don't think we want to get into renting.

The White county area has some neat waterfalls, caves and other natural areas that are very beautiful. Big South Fork National Park is close by and there are several TN state parks in that area too. Check out Burgess Falls, Rock Island State Park and Virgin Falls. And...when you come to the area, don't miss Fall Creek Falls State park. It's one of the best in the state.
We are camping at Fall Creek Falls this weekend, one of our favorite spots!
Old 03-05-2013, 07:05 AM   #42

Ford Super Duty Owner
sales tax on a motorhome is after trade and onlt the first 1300 the balance is 7% plates in roane county (we are cumberland on one side and knox on the other) + we have real time EST,our home is about 1700 sqf in the city limits 140k maket value less than a k a year prop tax
brianj