Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2013, 01:48 PM   #43

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Stonekeepers, I agree with you concerning the weather. While we have not had much snow this winter, it has been cold here on the plateau at times. I am spoiled though as we have been in southern Florida and key West for a couple of lengthy stays over the last two winters and falls. As I type these words, one heck of a rain storm passed thru the area and tonight the cold returns with more snow. But, we do like the change of seasons, snow or no snow.

Never been to Hippie Jacks but it does sound like fun. Can't wait to get the rig on the road again, although it's only been 3 weeks since we returned home from our last trip.

CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2013, 04:05 PM   #44

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to answering our question. We are totally sold on Tennessee for many reasons. The big problem we are running into is finding a good mail forwarding service that will give us the street address we need for registration, drivers license, etc. I've done Google/Yahoo searches and all that comes up don't seem to be in business any longer or use Boxes instead of their street address which doesn't help any for our purpose.

New Question: Does anyone currently use a mail forwarding service with a street address in Tennessee?

We really don't want to have to purchase property there just for this purpose. Not that we wouldn't love living in Tennesse, just don't have the extra money to do that.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:43 PM   #45

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosalynchauv View Post
Thanks to everyone who has contributed to answering our question. We are totally sold on Tennessee for many reasons. The big problem we are running into is finding a good mail forwarding service that will give us the street address we need for registration, drivers license, etc. I've done Google/Yahoo searches and all that comes up don't seem to be in business any longer or use Boxes instead of their street address which doesn't help any for our purpose.

New Question: Does anyone currently use a mail forwarding service with a street address in Tennessee?

We really don't want to have to purchase property there just for this purpose. Not that we wouldn't love living in Tennesse, just don't have the extra money to do that.
Someone posted that Business Express in Crossville does mail forwarding. I couldn't find that post, so I looked it up on Google and found that they have UPS service. I've heard they have good service but I have no personal experience with any mail forwarding service...YET. Here is a copy of UPS services as copied directly from their website:

Here's what you get with a mailbox rental:
  • A street address, not a P.O. Box number
    A street address can provide a professional image for your business.
  • 24-hour access*
    Pick up your mail when it’s convenient for you. Your mail and packages stay-safe and confidential.
  • Package acceptance from all shipping carriers
    We accept packages from all carriers, so you’ll never miss a delivery.
  • Package and mail receipt notification
    We can text or email you when your mail and packages arrive.
  • Mail holding and forwarding**
    We’ll hold your packages in a secure location for pick up at your convenience or forward them to you, wherever you are.
  • Call-in MailCheck®
Old 03-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #46

Tiffin Owners Club
I FOUND THE POST FROM TNCRUISER IT WAS ON ANOTHER THREAD:

business express
848 Livingston Road Crossville, TN 38555
(931) 484-0100
our freinds use this and are very pleased with the service
they have used it for about 7 years when travel with them they call every two weeks and business express forward their mail to where they are
brianj

Old 03-07-2013, 09:28 AM   #47

I just called Business Express in Crossville, TN and they said they only offer mail forwarding services for the people who live in Cumberland County. I told her my whole situation and she said unless we actually live in Cumberland County we cannot use their mail forwarding service. I'm going to contact the UPS center there and see if I can get any help there!
Old 03-12-2013, 09:05 PM   #48

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosalynchauv View Post
I just called Business Express in Crossville, TN and they said they only offer mail forwarding services for the people who live in Cumberland County. I told her my whole situation and she said unless we actually live in Cumberland County we cannot use their mail forwarding service. I'm going to contact the UPS center there and see if I can get any help there!
Thanks for that information. Since we will plan to have a domicile in White County that wouldn't work for us.

Irene
Old 03-12-2013, 09:38 PM   #49

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
TENNESSEE

Information you should know if you plan to live or become a resident of Tennessee.

Sales Taxes
State Sales Tax: 7% on tangible property (prescription drugs exempt); 6% on food and food ingredients. Counties and cities may add another 1.5% to 2.75% to the total of either rate http://state.tn.us/revenue/pubs/taxlist.pdf
Gasoline Tax: 39.8 cents/gallon (Includes all taxes)
Diesel Fuel Tax: 42.8 cents/gallon (Includes all taxes)
Cigarette Tax: 62 cents/pack of 20; 77.5 cents/pack of 25

Personal Income Taxes
Salaries, wages, Social Security, IRAs and pension income are not taxed.
BUT a 6% tax is levied on stock dividends and interest from bonds and other obligations. The first $1,250 in taxable income received by a single filer is exempt ($2,500 for joint filers). For details, http://www.state.tn.us/revenue/taxgu...ndincguide.pdf
Retirement Income Taxes: Beginning with tax year 2012, the annual Hall Income Tax standard income exemptions for taxpayers 65 years of age or older increases from $16,200 to $26,200 for single filers and from $27,000 to $37,000 for joint filers.
Retired Military Pay: See above.
Military Disability Retired Pay: Retirees who entered the military before Sept. 24, 1975, and members receiving disability retirements based on combat injuries or who could receive disability payments from the VA are covered by laws giving disability broad exemption from federal income tax. Most military retired pay based on service-related disabilities also is free from federal income tax, but there is no guarantee of total protection.
VA Disability Dependency and Indemnity Compensation: VA benefits are not taxable because they generally are for disabilities and are not subject to federal or state taxes.
Military SBP/SSBP/RCSBP/RSFPP: Generally subject to state taxes for those states with income tax. Check with state department of revenue office.

Property Taxes
Property taxes are assessed and collected by the local governments. County assessors of property appraise real estate for assessment purposes. In addition, they assess tangible personal property used or held for use in a business. The county commission and city governing bodies determine local property tax rates. The property taxes are collected by county trustees and city collecting officials.

Tennessee does not have a homestead exemption. However, there is a property tax relief program for the elderly, disabled and veterans. http://www.comptroller.tn.gov/pa/pdf...edBrochure.pdf

The assessed valuation of a property is based on 25% of its fair market value. Depending on the location of the residence, homeowners will be assessed property taxes from the city only, the city and county, or the city, county, and a special school/fire district rate. A local government may authorize (at their option) a person who is 65 years of age or older to defer payment of tax up to $60,000 of the appraised fair market value of the homeowner’s residence if the combined income is not more than $12,000. Local option could increase it to $25,000. For more information, call 615-741-4883 or http://www.comptroller.tn.gov/pa/pdf/TaxFreezeFAQ.pdf for an overview of the property tax freeze program.

Inheritance and Estate Taxes
There is an inheritance tax in which all real and personal property in which the decedent owned or has an interest is taxed. It ranges from 5.5% to 9.5% of the value of the property transferred at death. Spouses are exempt. The estate tax is limited and related to federal estate tax collection. For more information, http://www.state.tn.us/revenue/taxgu...ritoutline.pdf or call 615-532-6438.

For Drivers License information, visit: Driver Services: Driver Licenses and IDs
For further information, visit the Tennessee Department of Revenue site Department of Revenue or call 615-741-2837.
* Tax rates to do not include local option tax of 1 cent.

Source: Welcome to the Retirement Living Information Center