Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2011, 01:27 PM   #1

resident or non resident camping fees

I"ve run into this more than once; where you have a campground fee for residents, ( folks that live in this state) and a much higher fee for none residents, (folkes that live out of state);
I never stay in the campgrounds that penilize non residents with a higher fee. Not only do they lose my camping fee, but I buy very little from these states.
Anyone know if there is list somewhere that has the states that charge extra for camping for non residents.
Please: don't some one come on here and say non residents don't pay taxes in these states.

I live in Florida and this state does NOT charge extra for non residents; and I resent the states that do.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2011, 01:29 PM   #2
Community Administrator

I've only seen those extra fees at state parks.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:47 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
If a state or county park it's because the residents support the park through their state taxes which is totally fair.

If it's a private park then I agree.
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:03 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
I don't have a source list for you but I can tell you that CO charges more for non residents and MS and MO do not. CO also charge separately for the toad but a trailer or fiver only pays for one vehicle. Really stinks but they do have nice parks.

MS and MO parks are really nice places.

Nick
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 04:26 PM   #5

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
...Please: don't some one come on here and say non residents don't pay taxes in these states.

I live in Florida and this state does NOT charge extra for non residents; and I resent the states that do.
Whether you like it or not, that is the reason. Whether or not a CG in a State Park charges extra for out of Staters probably depends on if it receives funding from State taxes on residents such as income tax or property tax (even renters pay a property tax; the property owner takes it out of the rent collected). If a State Park CG doesn't charge extra, it could be because the Park system doesn't receive tax funding.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:17 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
You can always choose not to stay in those campgrounds if you do not like the fees.

OH state parks don't charge entrance fees nor resident/non-resident fees. You can bet I'm very grateful of that when I visit our neighboring (IN, MI, WV & PA) state's state parks. Although I may gripe at paying those extra out-of-stater fees, I understand it's because those states don't receive enough funding otherwise.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:20 PM   #7

I can't see a private park doing that because most of their business will probably be out of staters. A state or county park may charge a fee depending on the tax structure of that area. I believe in WA state we don't charge extra at the state parks and a Toad is not charged is being towed. If you visit a state park you either have to pay a $10 single day use fee or a $30 yearly fee. You don't pay if you are camping in a state park. It is included in the camping fee.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:34 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I've never run in to the resident vs. non-resident issue. Assume it would be in state or city funded parks.

Alaska does not differentiate between resident and non-resident.

I can't imagine a private park doing this as I would think most of their business comes from non-residents.

I understand if state or city parks do. They are subsidized in some places by state and or city funding.

We have municipal dumps and golf courses that will charge extra for those outside the municipality.

I find it hard to believe you would boycott buying anything in those states because of a state park rule. If it were me I would just completely route myself around those states. THat will show em.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:31 PM   #9

I guess I didn't make it clear; I was refering to state parks only.
I visit Pa. yearly to visit relitives; there are also C.O.E. parks that are close to these relatives, this is where I stay. the state parks are about the same distance from the places I visit, I have been visiting this area for more than twenty years, usually staying three months at a time. These state parks have lost thousands of dollars of my business over the years, I refuse to pay the extra fees they tack on for none residents. nearly every one that I have talked to feel the same way as I do.
the Pa. state parks are hurting for money, but they are penny wise and dollar poor. (my opinion)
Quote:
I find it hard to believe you would boycott buying anything in those states because of a state park rule. If it were me I would just completely route myself around those states. THat will show em.
That is exatly what I do when I can, (the reason I bypass Vermont)
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:49 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
PA didn't used to charge differently between resident & non-resident. I believe they started that fairly recently. It's not much for a campsite, but it does add up over time.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:01 PM   #11

You may compile your own list of states that charge less for in-state visitors. Just visit each states website and drill-down until you reach the fees/rates page. Indiana charges $1 more entrance fee for non-residents, but camping fees are the same for both.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:18 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I never ran into one that charged more for out of staters.
But I hate those who use reserveamerica... cause of their $10 fee.

and I've run into a bunch that after you've reserved online and paid, they then charge you another fee without warning to get into the park when you get there.

It seems most state and county parks these days cost as much as a good commercial campground
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:57 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
I guess I didn't make it clear; I was refering to state parks only.
I have been visiting this area for more than twenty years, usually staying three months at a time.

If it were me I would just completely route myself around those states. THat will show em.
That is exatly what I do when I can, (the reason I bypass Vermont)
What am I missing here?
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:11 AM   #14

Quote:
I"ve run into this more than once; where you have a campground fee for residents, ( folks that live in this state) and a much higher fee for none residents, (folkes that live out of state);
I never stay in the campgrounds that penilize non residents with a higher fee. Not only do they lose my camping fee, but I buy very little from these states.
Anyone know if there is list somewhere that has the states that charge extra for camping for non residents.
Please: don't some one come on here and say non residents don't pay taxes in these states.

There are two reasons states do this. One is obvious. Non residents do not vote in local or state elections so if a state thinks they can increase revenue by raising fees for outsiders, the visitors cannot get mad and vote against those responsible for the legislation. That is the same reason "bed taxes" or tourist fees or rental car fees are popular in tourist areas to raise funds. Locals do not complain when visitors get taxed.

The other reason these extra camping fees are sometimes popular is that local residents cannot get space in their own campgrounds easily because the out of staters have sucked up all the prime sites. We winter in Florida but have to go to Alabama or Georgia for weekend trips in the winter unless we want to make plans a year in advance. I would be ambivalent if a proposal was made to charge Florida visitors more -short sighted I know but the selfish part of me would like fewer visitors to fill state parks. The practical side of me knows better.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping