Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2017, 09:56 AM   #1

Residential Fridge Power

I just purchased a new Sierra 372 LOK with residential fridge. Obviously I have a pure sine wave inverter to power the fridge when shore power is unplugged.

My question is this:
The fridge stays plugged into the same outlet at all times. Dealer told me to turn the inverter off before plugging shore power up. And vice versa.

How does the outlet get power from both sources?

Does it hurt to leave the inverter on with shore power for short periods of time (let's say I forgot to turn it off for 30 minutes while setting the rig up)?

Thanks
stinnettjn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2017, 10:03 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Inverter will have a bypass circuit (transfer switch). When on shore power the 120 goes directly to the circuits in the rig.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:13 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Many leave the inverter on all the time. When connected to shore power it's circuits just idle since the reefer is then powered by the incoming 120 volts. Turn it off if you want or if you are going to be connected to AC for more than a few hours.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:27 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I leave my inverter on all the time. If you on shore power you inverter becomes disconnected.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:23 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I leave my inverter on all the time also. Unless you know for sure you have a pure sine wave inverter, you can run many residential refrigerators on MSW inverters. My previous coach had a MSW inverter with a residential refrigerator.
curtsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 01:31 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
As "Mr_D" stated, your inverter has a bypass. This is what distinguishes more expensive inverters from the less expensive models. When your coach is using battery power, the inverter converts the 12 volt DC power to 110 volts. Again, the better quality inverters convert DC power to pure sine wave power, which is what you get in your house. Cheap models convert the power to modified sine wave power, which isn't as clean as PSW and can ruin some electronics.

When you plug your RV into shore power, your inverter "passes" that power through the inverter and tells the inverter to basically go to sleep until needed again. If you were to look closely at the 110 volt wiring in your RV, one or two of the 110 volt circuits are going directly to your inverter. These are same circuits that continue on through the inverter to all the outlets that your inverter powers.

This is a little long winded, but you should know how your system works, so if there is an issue, you know where to look. Especially helpful to know is that your inverter also has circuit breaker(S) on it, just like your 110 volt circuit breakers you have in your RV. Often, if you trip a breaker, especially if it was tripped by something connected to one of the inverter outlets, it may be a breaker on the inverter that has tripped. Locate your inverter and identify the circuit breaker(s) for future emergencies.

Lastly, leaving your inverter on all the time does not hurt the inverter. Actually, it's safer to leave it on. Sometimes, especially at night, you could have a power outage at a campground and not know it. By having the inverter on, the refer would seamlessly continue to run.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 02:16 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our inverter never gets turned off. There is a on/off button on its control panel - have never used it.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 02:34 PM   #8

I turn my MSW inverter off when on shore power. Why? .... because I have a few small appliances plugged into inverter outlets and they aren't happy with MSW. For instance, a small newer style desk fan. Some "stuff" has idle circuits that aren't happy with MSW. I don't want them on the inverter if I drop shore power. I unplug them when traveling and the inverter is in use. Found out the hard way ... the smoke escaped from a nice new fan that was turned off but plugged in. My soundbar doesn't like the inverter either.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:15 PM   #9

Residential Fridge Power

Our outlets work whether using the inverter or on shore power. We keep the inverter off when on shore power and only turn it on when we are dry camping. We installed the inverter/charger ourselves and put in a sub panel so the outlets would work either way. We also have a transfer switch and an onboard generator for our 5th wheel.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:56 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I turn my inverter on only when we are going to use it for sure...like on the road. I called Magnum, the tech said on or off, it's up to us, the inverter doesn't care.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 02:34 PM   #11

Thanks for the replies. I wad hoping to hear that you could leave it on but have no experience with them.
stinnettjn1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, power