Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2016, 03:23 PM   #15

another problem is the labor (cost) to take it out to service it and re install.
the oem is not willing to go to this expense.
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2016, 04:14 AM   #16

I sorta understand your reasoning of not running the fridge, but since a lot of newer RV's have residentials as standard equipment I wouldn't worry about it so much. We had a Whirlpool installed in our Dutch Star over 2yrs. ago and it's always running, that's not to say that it couldn't go kaput at any time, but I'm pretty confident it'll keep working. We've been from Maine to CA., FL. to Alaska and not one hiccup. AND we've been over some pretty sketchy roads, especially Alaska.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 04:35 AM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverfever View Post
another problem is the labor (cost) to take it out to service it and re install.
the oem is not willing to go to this expense.
When our Whirlpool went south, they said we had to get the refrigerator out of the cabinet and onto the floor. If it's built in at the factory how am I supposed to get it out? Luckily we figured it out. We had to do that twice before Whirlpool said the refrigerator was not repairable. Turns out the newer high efficient units can only be repaired so far then Whirlpool replaces them, except in a motorhome. They will deliver you a new unit but won't get the old one out and the new one in. We ended up going back to the Coachmen factory where they replaced the fridge. Of course the one we had in there was no longer available. The one they put in required the cabinet be rebuilt to accommodate it. They had to take a window out to get the units in and out of the coach. As many issues as I had with the traditional RV fridge in our travel trailer, I'm wondering if that's really the better way to go. I shut down the Whirlpool for the winter, I'm hoping that all goes well in the spring when I start it back up.
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 04:50 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Most of this thread about using residential refrigerators in RV's is hogwash.

Residential fridges have been used in RV's for many many years by most if not all of the well known high end coaches. It has been just in the past 6 to 10 years that residential fridges are now becoming popular in other brands and models of RV's mostly due to the Norcold 1200 fiasco and people wanting a larger more reliable functioning fridge for their use while RVing.

In fact some RV brands are now offering the residential fridge with their standard package and the typical RV absorption fridge is now being offered as an option that comes with an additional cost.

Now does this mean that ALL residential fridges will work in RV's? I don't know BUT there are plenty to choose from. One very popular model is the Samsung counter-depth model RF-18 because of it ability to run perfectly find while on MSW Inverter power versus having to use a PSW Inverter. Plus it will fit into the same space with just some minor modifications.

My Samsung residential has been in since 2012 and has been running 24/7/365 for the past 4 years. Plus I have driven over some of the roughest roads in North America while traveling to and from Alaska twice since having the residential installed.

WRT the compressors, there have been many advances made in the types of compressors used in fridges today. In fact the newest model of Samsung, RF-18, uses a Digital Inverter Compressor. Plus they are mounted in such a way that allows them to be isolated from the frame of the fridge and vibrations.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:31 AM   #19

Probably right about " Hogwash " ( City boy here, what is hogwash ? )

Just above and sometime below the compressor run refrigerators are compressor run air conditioning units. The compressors on them look the same.

They have been on RVs for ever and seem to last.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:48 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

Just above and sometime below the compressor run refrigerators are compressor run air conditioning units. The compressors on them look the same.

They have been on RVs for ever and seem to last.

I am pretty much a city boy too but spent summers on my uncles farm when I was a teen.

Hogwash is where you clean the crap off of your hogs before they go to the auction house.

I believe many RVer's try to over think too many situations and fail to look at it with a common sense POV.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:52 AM   #21

Sorry I asked :(
Old 01-19-2016, 07:56 AM   #22

Quote:
City boy
"Hogwash" is a synonym of/for baloney, bull, crapola, foolishness, garbage, nonsense, horsefeathers, humbug, malarkey, poppycock, rubbish.....among other things.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:05 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
City boy
"Hogwash" is a synonym of/for baloney, bull, crapola, foolishness, garbage, nonsense, horsefeathers, humbug, malarkey, poppycock, rubbish.....among other things.
Mel
'96 Safari
Well, I knew that !!!

Looking for the real meaning.
Now that image is stuck in my head.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:58 AM   #24

Quote:
Well, I knew that !!!
Looking for the real meaning.
Now that image is stuck in my head.
twinboat
I assumed that you did.
IMO using the term "hogwash" to describe anything means that what ever was described is as useless/useful as the water used to wash hogs is after the hogs are washed.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:12 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
After reading this thread I will run the refer while driving. I was probably being to cautious.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:34 PM   #26
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
After reading this thread I will run the refer while driving. I was probably being to cautious.
When our Dometic Model NDR1062 failed to perform adequately last year, even after installing the Amish unit, I replaced it with a Haier 10.2cu ft residential fridge which slid right into the same area with minimal mods. Most of past info that I have obtained from other prior posts have mentioned the use of a modified sine wave inverter vs a pure sine wave inverter to power the fridge. The big majority of those posts cautioned about using modified sine wave power as a fair number of fridges/other electronic devices failed to adequately "thrive/function" so to speak. I ended up purchasing a Xantrex 1000w pure sine inverter($225 +-) for the fridge only from the donrowe.com website and will have it installed this spring prior to travel season. The 1000w will be big enough to handle our fridge's startup surge. This would be my recommendation and leave your current inverter to power the other items is was wired for.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:59 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

The compressor in the fridge is probably the least of the worries. Bouncing down the road may over-stress the shelving, door hinges, etc. leaving it "off" won't help that.

Other CYA worries for fridge manufacturers is the lack of adequate door latches or methods for securing the fridge in place. They simply don't have provisions for the kinds of movement that are common in RVs but not houses. Except maybe in earthquake prone areas, and they have the "act of God" defense for that.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:43 PM   #28

I replace my frig. with a Haier 10.2 cu ft over a year ago, also install a pure sign wave inverter. I have a straight through inverter so it switches automatically, I never turn the frig. off. Wish I had replaced it sooner.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge