Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2016, 08:12 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
There is no doubt that for most purposes it is an upgrade. For hard core boondockers that don't use solar it could be a problem. Current RV suitable refers are not power hogs and a moderately capable solar system can handle them quite well.
I hope that's true. We rarely "boondock", usually two nights at a Wal*Mart or rest stop, then a campground. We only have 400 watts of solar and the travel time is enough to replenish the batteries.
Any more serious boondocking like a month at Quartzsite would take some diesel I'm sure.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2016, 09:57 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I hope that's true. We rarely "boondock", usually two nights at a Wal*Mart or rest stop, then a campground. We only have 400 watts of solar and the travel time is enough to replenish the batteries.
Any more serious boondocking like a month at Quartzsite would take some diesel I'm sure.
I only have 440 AHs @ 12V thus 220 AHs usable. When we are fortunate enough to not need the generator running for air conditioning we get about 6 hours out of our batteries with the AGS set to start @ 60% SOC and stop @ 90% SOC. However during that time we are not trying to conserve power. For at least 2-3 hours we are running a DirecTV Genie receiver (our biggest power hog especially if 2 or more programs are being recorded), usually 2 TVs for a couple hours each, 2 fantastic fans, LED lights through most of the coach, computer/phone/tablet chargers, Verizon Wifi Router and (of course) the refrigerator with the ice maker off and in energy saver mode.

I truly believe that if we had 50% more battery capability we would get an honest 8-9 hours under the same conditions during over night use. If we had a 400 watt solar system I think we could have a very good day under relatively good solar conditions. We would still have a need for a generator on days of short sunshine supply and/or long nights.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:07 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
I only have 440 AHs @ 12V thus 220 AHs usable. When we are fortunate enough to not need the generator running for air conditioning we get about 6 hours out of our batteries with the AGS set to start @ 60% SOC and stop @ 90% SOC. However during that time we are not trying to conserve power. For at least 2-3 hours we are running a DirecTV Genie receiver (our biggest power hog especially if 2 or more programs are being recorded), usually 2 TVs for a couple hours each, 2 fantastic fans, LED lights through most of the coach, computer/phone/tablet chargers, Verizon Wifi Router and (of course) the refrigerator with the ice maker off and in energy saver mode.

I truly believe that if we had 50% more battery capability we would get an honest 8-9 hours under the same conditions during over night use. If we had a 400 watt solar system I think we could have a very good day under relatively good solar conditions. We would still have a need for a generator on days of short sunshine supply and/or long nights.
I left out that we have 4 8D batteries so some 960 AH @ 20 hrs rate so 480 to 50%. I need to get the auto gen start fixed next. I do have room for two more 8D's in the battery trays if I wanted more capacity.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:35 AM   #18
IC2

I've toyed with the idea of replacing our Norcold with a Samsung residential fridge when or even if it fails somewhere in the future. For us, probably not a good choice as our 5er is a free time, with couple lengthy trips a year, and a 3 month set down at a seasonal.

Reasons I have considered and maybe others can think about:
1-We do not nor have any desire to full time.
2-We do not have solar on this unit (had it on the last) and wont on this one. Those dollars can be spent on travel for nice CGs and attractions instead
3-We do not boondock - Walmart and Flying J are not, IMO, boondocking!!
4-The costs to convert correctly are well beyond the cost of the fridge with added batteries, wiring, inverters just to name a few gadgets.
5- Samsung reefers are probably not the best. We have a top of the line one in the S&B. The service people, IF you can convince the Samsung support people to do a service call, the repair folks universally dislike the product and all other home appliances made by that company.

Now with that said, is it an upgrade - of course it is IMHO but not necessarily for a casual weekend, occasional RV user/owner. A full timer - sure it's a great upgrade.

IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:29 PM   #19

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I left out that we have 4 8D batteries so some 960 AH @ 20 hrs rate so 480 to 50%. I need to get the auto gen start fixed next. I do have room for two more 8D's in the battery trays if I wanted more capacity.
Have you ever thought of changing over to lithium ion batteries?

Rick
Pathfinder85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:53 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder85 View Post
Have you ever thought of changing over to lithium ion batteries?

Rick
Slightly off topic, but how much do lithium batteries cost?
dallasmobile is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator, upgrade