Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-09-2016, 01:15 PM   #1
Residential Refrigerator: Upgrade or Downgrade

I see a lot of post about a Residential Refrigerator Upgrade. Is it really an Upgrade? I would like to hear the pros and cons.

MADP, Jeep, Blue Ox, SMI AFO, Solar: 900w/672a, Amish cooling unit, Lifetime: SKP & Days End
ByeTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2016, 01:31 PM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
Pro: Ice cream isn't soupy. Nothing spoils when temps are in the 90s. Larger inside with same size outside. No more vents. Possibility of fire greatly reduced.

Con: The generator needs to be run a lot more often, so I look for shore power if possible.

Leon and Karen
'02 Monaco Dynasty Chancellor
mriderLeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 02:29 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
I see a lot of post about a Residential Refrigerator Upgrade. Is it really an Upgrade? I would like to hear the pros and cons.
There is no doubt that for most purposes it is an upgrade. For hard core boondockers that don't use solar it could be a problem. Current RV suitable refers are not power hogs and a moderately capable solar system can handle them quite well.
Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Gardian Wings earned are GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 02:54 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our Phaeton has residential refrigerator. Definitely an upgrade. An additional pair of batteries provide for power needs. We boondocks.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:50 PM   #5
Done right definite upgrade.
2014 Excursion 35B
asuperheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:21 PM   #6
Country Coach Owners Club
I consider it a major upgrade. The residential weighs less than a regular rv refer. For the same size, it can hold more. Power is not a problem, you do not have to have power to them 100% of the time. I have gone 20 hours without power and things were still frozen.
2002 Country Coach Intrigue
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:02 AM   #7
Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Major downgrade.

I boondock about 90% of the time and I do have solar. Propane is so much simpler. Put a few 2-by blocks under the wheels and you're good to go. If you're so far out of level the absorption reefer is in danger, you don't want to park there anyway.

My 30 year old Dometic died and I'm looking for one of these propane reefers everyone is removing in favor of compressor units. They're really not around which convinces me that the modification is not as popular as the internet forums would lead you to believe.

I decided not to put an Amish Cooling Unit in mine because the plastic was pretty yellow and well, 30 years old. I fell for the internet hype and junked it, but can't even find a older unit to repair.

By the way, my ice cream was always fine.

Anyone in Ohio, preferably northern, is quite welcome to prove me wrong. The ones on Craigslist are overpriced and were removed by hacks.

mangy dog
mangy dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:13 AM   #8
In my opinion a residential refigerator is not an "upgrade".
BTW IMO neither are LEDs in clearance, marker, tail, and brake lights... and in many interior light fixtures.
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:29 AM   #9
How many who say a residential fridge is a downgrade have one ?

If my gas one fails, I will go residential. I have been running a residential fridge on my boat for 6 years on solar.

120 AH a day isn't to tough to harvest from solar.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:29 AM   #10
My 3 Way died last year. Replaced with apartment sized residential fridge from HD at less than 20% of the cost of like 3 Way repair/replace was not a question. Outside size exactly same making swap easy, larger capacity with negligible weight difference.
My travels don't include much boon docking however while traveling 6-8 hrs. a day with a short gen run at lunch, temps have held well, so well in fact I could forgo the noon gen session if needed.
Granted; could add inverter and additional batteries however cost of doing so merely pushes closer to replacement costs I wished to avoid. Then there's the added maintenance for that addition.
In my situation and opinion the residential direction is an upgrade of economic and service proportion.

Happy Trails,
Steve B. Oconee County, GA
Traveling in a work in progress (aka Priscilla)
'96 HR Endeavor LE, 35' DP, Cummins 5.9, Allison 6
SMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:05 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The only real advantage of an absorption fridge is that it can be operated on propane. It's cheap and efficient to cool food & drink that way when no shore power is available. If that's a significant plus for you, then a residential is a downgrade.

Otherwise, I think a residential is an upgrade. You get more interior space for the same size box and more consistent temperatures inside (due to forced air circulation). And a compressor-driven fridge actually uses less electricity than an absorption fridge in AC mode. often a lot less. That's a plus for use of 20A or 30A shore power.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 03:32 PM   #12
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think this question is as loaded as much as it gets. I go to the dunes, and I think it's a downgrade, due to having to use the batteries and/or genset. I also have a gas coach now, and not a bank of batts like a DP has. If and when I get a DP, I will reconsider.

I think it can be an upgrade, and a downgrade, but it depends strongly on your situation. I hope I didn't give a loaded answer
Tank Thomas, USAF Ret.
There are no secrets to success. It's the result of preparation, hard work and learning from mistakes.

BigBlockTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 04:55 PM   #13
I am always on shore power and I enjoy having a household Whirlpool unit.

Pros: auto defrost. I HATE having to do the messy job of manual defrosting of the original Dometic

Not needing the rig perfectly level. Mine always lists to the left (bent undercarriage from previous owner)

circulating fan keeps air moving, no rotten fruit.

variable Temps for freezer and refrigerator. Having an actual FREEZER.

Noisy, of you're used to the quiet of a RV unit

No 12v or propane backup.

having to get a pro to cap the propane line.
Nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:00 PM   #14
Monaco Owners Club
Used to have an absorption fridge.

Moved UP to a residential fridge.

Jim & Kate
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel
1995 Monaco Dynasty 36', 2005 Honda Pilot
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

refrigerator, upgrade