Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2015, 08:40 PM   #1

Residential Refrigerators

I have a question about residential refrigerators. I've seen them mentioned a lot but I don't know much about the advantages and/or disadvantages. We'll be buying a new RV in a year or two, so I'm spending my free time happily researching all the options we have. Right now we are thinking 5th wheel but who knows? If someone can tell me about why we might want to choose a residential refrigerator, it would be a big help. Thanks everyone. You always come through!
mrebele is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2015, 08:48 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Frozen ice cream.
Cold beer.
Usually larger than an RV refer but not always.
No worries about a fire from the coolant leaking and the ins co's are starting to ask. That was on the application when I went to Miller ins for ins on the Magna.
But, you may need a bigger battery bank, at least 4-GC-2's and a 2000watt inverter.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:24 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We switched from propane to residential fridge a couple of years ago. We doubled our battery bank at the same time because we boondock quite a bit. We are very happy with the change.

Our next step will be to someday (hopefully soon) add a bit of solar battery charging.

I really do believe that with the solar power that's available today, propane fridges are dinosaurs.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:37 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post
I really do believe that with the solar power that's available today, propane fridges are dinosaurs.

Jim
I agree although the Magna has a propane cooktop and a 5.5 gal propane tank. Thinking about going to an induction cooktop but the DW is used to gas both at home and in all the previous MH's as well as back in MN so it may not be possible. She's pretty stubborn!!
Right now we have 4 8D AGM's and 400 watts of solar with room for 2 more 8D's so that wouldn't limit us to make the change.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 04:24 AM   #5

If your plans are to do very little boondocking, then by all means go with a residential. Many less headaches....and as mentioned...really COLD beer. We made the switch over a year ago, and should've done it much sooner. But then again I already had plenty of solar, a PSW inverter, and 4 AGM's, so it was a no brainer.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 04:40 AM   #6

Smile cold beer

dorm refg in a bay,with an inverter
dropaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:08 AM   #7

Love the propane option!!!!!!
I would not want a coach without it.........But that's just me...
Lovin2Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:30 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Deja Vu?

Residential Refrigerators operate off of 110. If you have a reasonably constant and reliable source of producing 110, be it from shore power, generator, battery/inverter, or various combinations, this could be a viable option.

The key is, you need to have 110 volts available at that outlet.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:39 AM   #9

I camp mostly without hookups so the large propane style works great for me. In 20 years of coaches I have never had any issues with them and the new one has an ice maker that works great also. If I only went to parks with hook ups for the most part then I would consider the residential style. You need to know how you intend on using the coach to make the right decision.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:45 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Many people have asked the same question. A thorough search on this forum will bring up many threads to keep you busy reading for a long time.

HERE is one that was just recent.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:10 AM   #11

Never having to defrost and always a consistent temperature on the inside. Modern inverters are very efficient, (in almost 3 years in this coach) haven't had to run the genny for the frig ever. 25 cf Maytag is a big awesome change from the 12 cf Dometic.

I had to force myself to start using the genny in this coach. We boondock between destinations and after a year i hadn't even put 50 hours on the new genny. Those hours were from exercising, now I run the AC or heat pumps ever couple trips. Never for the frig.

Our old coach we had to run the genny any time we used the microwave. So it got ran a lot.

We won't go back to a 3 way RV frig.

I'm starting to see more 5 wheels using residential frigs now. Even the hardcore boondockers are using them.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:18 AM   #12

Having had both kinds we will only have a residential in our next RV! Like previously stated, cold beer, frozen ice cream, temp stays the same. It's the only way to go.
OSP1268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:48 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
We sold our previous MH mainly to get rid of the gas refrigerator and go all electric with 8 AGM batteries, two inverters and solar. Best decision we have made in an upgrade.

We do not boondock for weeks at a time so all electric works well for our travel style.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:05 PM   #14

We looked at a Big Horn Fifth Wheel today but won't be buying until at least July so we're still looking at both options. I'll do some more reading and look up past posts, then try to figure out what will meet our lifestyle. I don't think we'll be doing much boondocking so that may make a difference in our decision. Thanks for all of the opinions.
mrebele is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator