Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2015, 06:49 AM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
It seems many of the differences of opinions here are related to FT versus PT, or retired versus still working with family.

Those of us that are FT, do enjoy the added amenities and solitude that the "resorts" have to offer versus the congestion and hectic lifestyle of campgrounds.

As an example, last fall we stopped at a campground in Myrtle Beach that was right on the ocean. We were crowded in to a point our awning barely missed the neighbor. There were thousands of people on the move at the same time. Hundreds of people rented golf carts and then let their teen aged children drive them all over by themselves with no supervision. It seemed they all had to see just how fast those golf carts could go. Mix in hundreds walking around and many RVs of all styles on the move and it was just NOT a fun time at all. I'll admit, standing in the waves was fun, but that's about it. The rest of the time we spent away from the campground as we could not stand the lifestyle.

We enjoy taking walks and that was VERY difficult in that campground. We have stayed in various campgrounds and this seems to be the norm for many of them. It's just too hectic for us. We enjoy peace and quiet. We are not party animals and it seems the management of campgrounds, in many cases, do not care as much about us and just cater to their weekend visitors.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2015, 08:16 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
There may have been a time when you could assume a higher standard of amenities provided anywhere that included "resort" in the name, but I don't think that's the case anymore. We've been in "resorts" that were little more than a fish camp, or were mainly populated with ancient and not well maintained trailers, the pool had 3' of dead leaves and mud in the bottom... We've been to "campgrounds" that included virtually all the amenities listed in this thread as desirable. For a long term stay it pays to do your homework.

A pool is a must, organized activities can be a plus, depending on who's doing the organizing. Good Wi-Fi used to be important to us but no longer, we travel with our own data card, many use their cell phones as a "hotspot". Owning data capable devices is now the norm (which I'd define as more than 50%) and the market share is growing exponentially so I suspect this will continue to drop in the order of what RVrs expect as time marches on.

Pet friendly is important to us, as is an enforced pet policy (pick up after them, control them). Activities and attractions outside the campground make a difference too.

As our "retirement home" is the largest RV we've ever owned the infrastructure has moved up our list of priorities. We have to be concerned about not only the size of the site, but access to it. Can we get to it, can we maneuver within the park without worry about low tree branches or, one of my favorites, those big boulders placed at the corners to keep you off the grass, a problem that wouldn't exist if the road was wide enough (with the understanding that some of our favorite places to visit were developed when a "big rig" was a 25' travel trailer - but we've also been to brand new parks which were clearly designed by the clueless).

What we all expect or desire at a campground/resort is probably as unique as is our membership. As for us, we've learned not to judge a book by it's title.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:20 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beak12 View Post
Perhaps we should define (resort)

I under stand it to be someplace that has ==
1. Golf
2. More than one pool
3. Lots of organized things to do
4. Little larger space--so you can have your awning out and not be in your neighbors space
5. Some kind of shuttle service

Thanks.
I'm starting to think that one differance is RESORT is a place where folks go to spend the winter and return year after year. CAMPGROUND is where folks go to spend just a few days and then move on.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:13 AM   #18

I could nominate several campgrounds as a "Last Resort"...... Perhaps someone might publish a "Last Resort Campground Directory" and save many the experience!

Happy Camping!
Boomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:32 AM   #19

Resorts

A resort can be a campground but not all campgrounds can be a resort

Too many places use the moniker resort when in reality they are NOT a resort. I would consider Fort Wilderness a campground resort (it's truly unique)

Consider McDonalds versus a fine steakhouse like Flemmings. You can get "beef" at both places but there is a definite difference in quality
Old 02-13-2015, 09:51 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Resort

We look at every place we stay at as our "new home". If the view is good, the utilities work, and if there's not many other campers, then we're happy. And just like at our stationary home, the fun adventures are just a Jeep ride away. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1423846165.636687.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	85929

We like friends and family but we couldn't care less about being with a bunch of old people hanging out with their amenities and their poodles.

It's fine with us if you disagree cos we're gonna be in a different CG! 😎
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 05:21 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Medico - Sounds like we think alike, though we are just getting started. Would enjoy hearing your recommendations for anywhere in the US.

BoA36
BoA36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:30 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medico View Post
It seems many of the differences of opinions here are related to FT versus PT, or retired versus still working with family.

Those of us that are FT, do enjoy the added amenities and solitude that the "resorts" have to offer versus the congestion and hectic lifestyle of campgrounds.

As an example, last fall we stopped at a campground in Myrtle Beach that was right on the ocean. We were crowded in to a point our awning barely missed the neighbor. There were thousands of people on the move at the same time. Hundreds of people rented golf carts and then let their teen aged children drive them all over by themselves with no supervision. It seemed they all had to see just how fast those golf carts could go. Mix in hundreds walking around and many RVs of all styles on the move and it was just NOT a fun time at all. I'll admit, standing in the waves was fun, but that's about it. The rest of the time we spent away from the campground as we could not stand the lifestyle.

We enjoy taking walks and that was VERY difficult in that campground. We have stayed in various campgrounds and this seems to be the norm for many of them. It's just too hectic for us. We enjoy peace and quiet. We are not party animals and it seems the management of campgrounds, in many cases, do not care as much about us and just cater to their weekend visitors.
You summed-up exactly why I did not attend the irv2.com national rally at Ocean Lakes CG.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:38 PM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medico View Post
OK, so here I'm putting on my helmet.

Start Rant

A resort will offer amenities that campgrounds do not (already mentioned) and yes might be higher priced. I believe this is a good thing in that it might keep less than desirables' out. Let them go to the lower priced campgrounds and good riddance. You know the type, loud and partying all night, not following rules, unruly children, etc.

I especially like the Class A, 55+ communities as those type problems rarely occur. We live this life style to enjoy ourselves, not to be bothered by these other people.

End Rant.

Let the pummeling begin!
I agree with the 55+ places. Quiet and plenty to do
rollingslow is offline   Reply With Quote