Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2013, 09:37 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rest area truck trailer only parking peeve

I think we have all been there. Too much coffee and a long drive with no good place to pull over. Then we see an oasis in the distance in the form of a rest area. A sigh of relief as we pull in .... Only to find the truck or truck with trailer only lanes are taken up by inconsiderate people with cars.

I have noticed this more and more in the past several years. Mostly on the east coast. I never saw anyone do it the last two times I was in the midwest. I just can't understand it. The people can't be that dumb that they can't read or figure out that the lanes are for bigger trucks. It probably just the " all about me the blank with everyone else" mentality that pervades our society.
LOL at one area I saw one lady waking her dog parked next to the curb smack dab in the exit lane for the truck parking......
Usually they park so they don't have to walk an extra foot, but what doesn't make sense in this regard, is the truck lanes are usually further away.

Truck lanes are full of oil spots also so you would think people wouldn't want to walk their dogs through that. I carry mine or park carefully in the lanes so I don't have my exit door over or next to an oil spot.
I personally try to get out as fast as possible if an area is really crowded.

ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2013, 10:05 AM   #2

I've not really noticed that in all my travels. I usually only see big rigs and cars with trailers, but mostly the signs will direct anyone with a trailer to the truck side.

Now, don't even get me started about Cracker Barrel.

Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:12 PM   #3

In MN the rest areas around here have a completely different area for big rigs and cars to park. There divided from one another and have different, well marked, lanes leading into the correct area
Old 01-14-2013, 03:59 PM   #4

I have seen the same thing in our travels and yes, the rest areas had completely separate parking for big rigs and cars. The cars just decided to park in the truck parking for whatever reason. Thankfully, there we spaces still open so we had a place to stop. Otherwise, we would have just pulled through and looked for another place to stop. Bad for truckers that work for a living and have driving restrictions and need a place to stop.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:47 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
ctcamper- Believe me- it's not just on the east coast. Anywhere people can park it happens. It makes me laugh to think what it would look like with no lines on the pavement...
Old 01-14-2013, 04:54 PM   #6

Golly, I've never been far from home but, I think in my area your going to get a ticket if you park in the wrong spot. For sure the rest area person that works there is going to tell you to move the car. All the rest stops on the interstate in MN have a full time person in them. But, I must admit it's been quite a few years since I stopped at a rest stop.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:57 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Old 01-14-2013, 05:05 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have seem some with

CAR PARKING

CAR/TRAILER RV PARKING

TRUCK/TRAILER PARKING

Just think of how it is for a professional driver that is just up to his hours of service and the last 2 spots in the TRUCK parking has a ignorant 4 wheeler in it

Just a side note, In the motorhome or pick-up truck with a trailer I always park a lil farther away from the restrooms Im on my free time then .... Let the people who are on the road making a living have a short walk because they dont make $$$$ sitting still. A truck driver may never thank you in person but trust me we notice!!
Old 01-14-2013, 05:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by F239141 View Post
Just a side note, In the motorhome or pick-up truck with a trailer I always park a lil farther away from the restrooms Im on my free time then .... Let the people who are on the road making a living have a short walk because they dont make $$$$ sitting still. A truck driver may never thank you in person but trust me we notice!!
Good Point.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
It's not "illegal" for cars to park in truck/trailer areas at interstate rest areas, and I for one can't imagine why anyone in a car would even want to!

If I had to guess, I'd say that in most cases those few that do so just got crossed up as to which lane was which and found themselves in the "wrong" area with no way to get to the "right" area. As a rule, the only direction of travel is in/out...
Old 01-14-2013, 05:47 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
At all interstate rest areas, I always use the Truck/Trailer parking lane for my rig which is longer than the normal truck & trailer combination. A few times I have used the RV area but that has been very rare. Occasionally, if there are no available lanes left but some idiot with a car has parked in one, I will pull up behind as close to their rear end as possible and sit there until the move. The size of them compared to the size of my rig is intimidating. They usually don't stay long.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 01-14-2013, 06:22 PM   #12

I have only seen one rest area where there was separate parking for RVs. Usually, we park among the semis.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:38 PM   #13

When people who cannot understand or read english, that is what happens, seen it many times, especially when I made my living for 9 years driving a large car.
Happy trails
Jim
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:39 PM   #14

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcamper View Post
.... Only to find the truck or truck with trailer only lanes are taken up by inconsiderate people with cars.
We saw this several times last summer. Makes no sense. Ramps are clearly marked, there were spaces available in the car area. Often the offender was walking his/her pet and probably figured the grass was greener on the other side....