Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2013, 10:44 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjcarpetguy View Post
Back when I was working in Tacoma, Was close to several major intersections and a couple freeway ramps. You could actually watch these people lining up like they were
getting ready to start a job. I stopped carying any cash. Most of them were able bodied.
At that time jobs were very plentiful. Back then I could afford it now I can't.
We have no shortage of jobs in Kansas. More jobs then people willing to work. Many like the government handouts and their voting reflects that.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2013, 10:45 AM   #16

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I hate to be that way but I am. That being said there are churches, soup kitchens, charities, etc. who provide for those with some food needs.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:58 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
as long as people will keep giving them money they will keep scamming. no money they will disappear just like any crook. if you feel the need to help " homeless" there are many organizations that are set up to do that. jmo
X2; I avoid , panhandlers at the rest areas , particularly when you watch them go down to the end of the parking lot , to a P/U that's 7 years newer than my, MH & toad.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:02 AM   #18

[QUOTE=KSCRUDE;1755330 Any able bodied person in the USA that wants a job, can find one in most any field. [/QUOTE]

That is absolutely NOT true. Many employers routinely do a history and credit check ... bad or mediocre credit is sufficient reason for employers to take a pass on an able bodied individual.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:13 AM   #19

Carolina Campers
I have been there and done that. I have been one of those beggars stuck at a gas station without any money for gas, three kids and the wife in the car. Trying to sell whatever I had with me to just get home and/or pick up some food for the kids.

I have worked hard all my life, but real life things happen when you least expect it. I would not want to wish that on anybody, but you have no idea how little hope you can have when the whole world is against you. You will never know until it happens to you.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #20

Carolina Campers
When you find yourself without a job, it is only then that you realize that employers routinely discriminate against an unemployed person. It is only when you lose your house that you realize that you can not even rent a place if you don't already have an address. You can not get a drivers license to drive to a job if you don't have an address.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:32 AM   #21

Carolina Campers
You don't want to give beggars a hand out, so instead, take a volunteer position at the local soup kitchen. Work for Habitat for Humanities. There is a lot that you can do to help truly needy people without giving them cash.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:46 AM   #22

I make it routine to give anyone that asks, a dollar or two ... it's not much but I give every time. I do not try to guess who really doesn't need it. I hope someone returns the favor if I need it.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:48 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
I have been there and done that. I have been one of those beggars stuck at a gas station without any money for gas, three kids and the wife in the car. Trying to sell whatever I had with me to just get home and/or pick up some food for the kids.

I have worked hard all my life, but real life things happen when you least expect it. I would not want to wish that on anybody, but you have no idea how little hope you can have when the whole world is against you. You will never know until it happens to you.
I work at a food pantry at church. Believe me, in the blink of an eye your life can change thru no fault of your own.
If I give to someone, I cannot judge them. I don't know their story. They could be a scammer or truly destitute. Either way, they have a problem.
I trust my gut and give without regret. I am fortunate but I try to never forget that it could be me in their shoes.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:58 AM   #24

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry & Rita View Post
The DW and I were comming south on I-5 this morning and we stopped at a rest area to answer the call of nature.
As we puilled in there was a car with the hood up and signs all over it saying the car had broke down and they needed cash to get it fixed so they could get the kids warm and home.
Problem was the man was the only one there and he appeared to be old as the hills, I really don't he could have fathered any anyway.
Further the car was late model, expensive, and he was a full fledged bum, dirty and unshaven for years. (Didn't go together).
As we went the other way to get out, there were three more, same signs on the same poster board(No store for 40 miles to buy posterboard)
Now they were not only on the corners but now in the rest areas.
I would have told them to "Get a job" but looks like they have already found one.

"Get a job" but looks like they have already found one" is a true statement.

True Story:
Ten years or so the father-in-law's Dad
passed away.
He had to go to Miami to find his brother.
After some searching he found what bridge
he was sleeping under. The father-in-law
offered to take him back to the hotel and get
him cleaned up and some clothes.

His brother declined, saying just give me a
ride to my apartment!

There he had a very nice apartment and nice clothes. His explanation was that he could make more off of handouts in certain areas than he
could as a union paid painter. The sleeping
under the bridge was just part of the role-play.

He had the bank account to back it up.

Then while in Key West I was approached by one of the typical beach-bum types. He asked for $1.00 to buy a beer. I said a beer?
He said yes. There is no need to lie about it.
So I gave him $5.00 for being honest.

There is no accounting for some people's actions
Old 10-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah2 View Post
I work at a food pantry at church. Believe me, in the blink of an eye your life can change thru no fault of your own. If I give to someone, I cannot judge them. I don't know their story. They could be a scammer or truly destitute. Either way, they have a problem. I trust my gut and give without regret. I am fortunate but I try to never forget that it could be me in their shoes.
My DW is part of a ministry that feeds homeless or less fortunate or just someone that don't want to eat alone, it is always a blessing for her as well of those that receive. We have seen first hand how things can change for someone sickness lose of job whatever can and does take a toil on some. Sure there are people that choose to live that way, but we have met many that have been dealt a bad hand.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
On vacation last week of July.I stayed in Williams AZ. Driving the Jeep around seeing the country.
On the way west on I-40 in Belmont AZ at the local truck stop I see a young lady sitting in the doorway of a 80's Shasta Motorhome.
Holding sign "OUT of GAS" "anything helps"
I had a couplke of thoughts
1 454 + motorhome = about 5MPG
2 And it was Quite lucky of her to run out of fuel 100 feet from gas pumps. :roll:
I got my gas and left. I stopped there every day When I was in the area for and low and behold 5 days later as I was headed back east I stopped in and GUESS what, same people, same vehicle, same sign, But more than that her and the Vehicle were in the exact same spot!!

nothing worse than fake beggars!! It always amazes me is the $3K in tatoos and sometimes a guitar being played.

Now in New Mexico I stoped for a bite and got a foot long at a subway.
I allways eat half on the spot and take the other half to-go for a meal 3 hours down the road.
AS I was pulling out of the strip mall I see a poor couple of native american decent. you could tell they were for real. A very simple sign written on a paper bag had one word "hungry" . I stopped and gave them my to-go sandwich. I told them they needed worse than I did.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Old 10-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #27

There's an older (long white hair, dirty blue jeans,) local guy that sits reading a book on a public bench, in the same shopping center opposite his 1954 beater Chevy pick-up Monday-Friday. "NEED GAS" is displayed on a homemade cardboard sign in his windshield. He NEVER works on weekends. . . Need I say more? Matter-o-fact, I think I'm going to start up a sign company that only advertises on boxed cardboard selling to these folks.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:10 PM   #28

Left Overs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
On vacation last week of July.I stayed in Williams AZ. Driving the Jeep around seeing the country.
On the way west on I-40 in Belmont AZ at the local truck stop I see a young lady sitting in the doorway of a 80's Shasta Motorhome.
Holding sign "OUT of GAS" "anything helps"
I had a couplke of thoughts
1 454 + motorhome = about 5MPG
2 And it was Quite lucky of her to run out of fuel 100 feet from gas pumps. :roll:
I got my gas and left. I stopped there every day When I was in the area for and low and behold 5 days later as I was headed back east I stopped in and GUESS what, same people, same vehicle, same sign, But more than that her and the Vehicle were in the exact same spot!!

nothing worse than fake beggars!! It always amazes me is the $3K in tatoos and sometimes a guitar being played.

Now in New Mexico I stoped for a bite and got a foot long at a subway.
I allways eat half on the spot and take the other half to-go for a meal 3 hours down the road.
AS I was pulling out of the strip mall I see a poor couple of native american decent. you could tell they were for real. A very simple sign written on a paper bag had one word "hungry" . I stopped and gave them my to-go sandwich. I told them they needed worse than I did.
Some years ago as my wife and I were taking in the sites, enjoying a sandwich on the steps of Union Square in SF, an undernourished female asked for a handout. My wife, immediately offered her the other part of an uneaten sandwich. The ungrateful wench cursed my wife for extending her kindness. Nuff said!

Tags
disabled rvers, handicapped