Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2013, 06:47 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
...unless for some reason they find themselves in those peoples shoes someday.
Literally...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #58

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I do believe that as a civilized society we could do better collectively to provide the appropriate assistance for those that are in need. Versus defunding all social services without understanding the consequences.
Decreasing part of a proposed increase is not defunding...
Government assistance has increased substantially in recent years, as has the number of programs to provide that assistance.
A comprehensive list of programs and requirements is on this government web portal ; Government Benefits, Grants, and Financial Aid for Citizens | USA.gov and the government is looking for participants...

Old 10-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #59

You don't have to give them money. Buy them a meal. Give them a meal ticket. The dishonest ones will hate you. The true homeless will thank you. I walked into a coffee shop and saw them kick out a homeless guy. I motioned him to come in with me. He did. I told them give him what ever he wants, I'm paying for whatever he wants. This guy only ordered a small coffee and plain donut. I said, are you sure? Order anything you want. A small coffee and plain donut was all he ordered. I was humbled by this guy. There are honest poor people out there. Doesn't hurt us to help those people.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #60

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
People of means have always looked down on those that don't have anything.

When the Queen of France said; "Let them eat cake", she did not mean to throw a party. She meant they only deserve dry biscuits.

People are proud to be better than all those others...
Wow.

I fully understand.
I am glad that you and your family have been able to pull
yourselves back up. I know the years you speak of very well.
We lost a lot during that time. We have never been rich, but
never really lacking either.

Many people will never understand.
Yes there are many that have a similar story to yours and
many that are like my departed father-in-law's brother.

I try not to judge. It is not my place.
I help those that I can. A lot depends on their attitude.
If they are demanding, then NO. If they seem to appreciate
whatever I can do the YES.

I pray that you and yours will continue to be blessed.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #61

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Way back in 1997, DW and I fell on some pretty hard times. Ended up in Montana for the summer and into next spring. I made a living dumpster diving. Did it 7 days a week. That spring was able to get to Portland Or.
Spent the summer working out of labor ready. 50% of each days pay went
to child support.
We Never once begged or ask for a handout.

At times we slept on the sidewalk in front of there doors so we could be the
first ones there to insure we got sent out.
I guess because of our experience with this is why I don't give money to them.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:37 PM   #62
laj

that's cause you've got ethics and integrity.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:00 PM   #63

I used to pickup hitchhikers back in the day and though nothing of it, used to help a few down on their luck. Cannot/will not do that today, too many scammers. A policeman friend told me the beggars at one off-ramp in the city were clearing about $500/day after paying their motel bill. His source, the desk clerks at said motel. He said he would park and watch them for hours at times. They worked in shifts about 6 hrs. each, would hand the replacement the sign and leave. Last year the motel was demolished to make room for a Cheddars restaurant, suddenly those beggars disappeared.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Old 10-07-2013, 12:49 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry & Rita View Post
.....Now they were not only on the corners but now in the rest areas.
I would have told them to "Get a job" but looks like they have already found one.
They were all over the corners/intersections in FL last winter. Some with bikes laying on the ground next to them. Some with old motley looking cars nearby. Some with shopping carts. Some on foot with their mode of transportation out of sight. But we didn't see any in any of the rest stops from TN to Ocala FL. We donate, but not to panhandlers.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:28 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post

......Then during these times of war and unrest, I now see an increase of "disabled vets" sitting in wheelchairs.....

Dr4Film ----- Richard
If they're truly disabled vets then they're getting an income. They should have enough to live on without begging. On Montague Street in Brooklyn NY near where I worked in the 1960s, there sat a "disabled vet" in an old wheelchair and worn out clothing. He looked pitiful. He held out a cup and people dropped coins and bills in it, thanking and blessing them profusely. Summer and winter, there he sat collecting money day after day. One day after working late myself and a few co-workers decided to stop for dinner in a nice little place a few blocks away from the office and down a side-street. Who do you think we spotted folding his wheelchair without a problem and putting it into the trunk of this rather large well waxed fairly new car? After putting it in his car he started to walk briskly away. He was no more disabled than we were. We stood there open mouthed as we watched him enter a French restaurant none of us could afford. I was too poor at that time to ever donate anything to him but several of the people I were with did. They were furious and vowed to never give another dime to a beggar.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:34 AM   #66

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I see a lot beggers claiming to be a Disabled Veteran. Being retired from the military I am a veterans advocate. Before I give a dime, I ask to see their VA Medical Card. It looks like a credit card with a flag, photo, and identifies if they have disability or not. If a person claiming to be a veteran does not have VA Medical card, odds are he has other medical coverage or is not a veteran.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:45 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjcarpetguy View Post
....I guess because of our experience with this is why I don't give money to them....
Sadly though, some are not scammers, just mentally ill and unable to hold a job. Smelly and dirty, who would hire them? But those people can collect SSD or SSI and not have to beg. What I don't understand is - why aren't they? If they're too mentally ill to sign up, get the checks and rent a room or tiny apartment, they shouldn't be out on the streets but confined to a mental health facility or someplace where they can be taken care of.

The only street person I ever gave money to, when I could afford it, was a well known "crazy bag lady" living in the subway station where I lived in NYC. She did not beg. This was out in Queens County. I would give her a dollar when passing or bring her a hamburger and coffee from one of the stores on the Boulevard. She always sat or laid in the same place with her bags of rags and filthy blankets. She would mumble "Thanks." Any try at conversation would have her gibbering and mumbling. I couldn't understand what she said so never learned how she ended up there or where she was from. The poor soul, thin as a rail, looked to be in her 50s. It was hard to tell because of the filth and long hair half over her face. Geeze, I can still see her in my mind after all this time. I haven't though of these people in many many years. She wore black gloves with the finger tips missing and a long coat. She always had a scarf over her filthy hair.... I wonder what ever happened to her. After I got married I never used that station again. I knew she was no scammer like the fake vet in the wheelchair.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:24 PM   #68

Winnebago Owners Club
While returning from Salt Lake City to South Carolina bringing our new-to-us motorhome home, we broke down on a desolate stretch of Utah 89 and wound up at Piute State Park with an motor that wouldn't run, no cell service and no toad. Oh, and did I mention that the State Park was of the unimproved type with no water, electricity or other services other than a ranger that would come by every couple of weeks or so and a few rustic outhouses?

Anyway, got the coach into an area and parked it to begin trying the resurrect the motor, but was not making any headway. The next campsite over sat an old Chevy S-10 truck with a small enclosed cargo trailer and a gentleman that initially looked a bit, shall we say, shaky? Long story short, Tony (the "shaky" looking guy) was truely a Godsend. He came over and assisted in the repair attempts (utlimately taking over the effort...) and during that time, I had occasion to learn that he had brain cancer and that he and his parapalegic (spelling?) sister were living out of the cargo trailer because they could afford nothing else as they only received her social security.

He ran me 130 miles round trip to get parts, during which time I filled his gas tank and bought a round of groceries for the two of them.. them, when the initial repairs didn't fix the problem, hauled my 20 miles to a phone that worked so I could call and get some professional help.

When the tow rig arrived, I slipped him $100 (all the cash I had at the moment) for his mechanical efforts to which he replied that he really needed it but that he didn't expect it and tried to decline it but lost that argument.

I'm home now and often wonder about how he and his sister are doing..even to the point of considering going back out to Utah to see if I could find them again, but know full well that they're gone with the wind as his sister got her SS on the 3rd and they've more than likely moved somewhere south to a warmer area.

If I got scammed, then I got scammed, but I really don't think so. I just wish him the best and that everything works for for them.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #69

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
Sadly though, some are not scammers, just mentally ill and unable to hold a job. Smelly and dirty, who would hire them? But those people can collect SSD or SSI and not have to beg. What I don't understand is - why aren't they? If they're too mentally ill to sign up, get the checks and rent a room or tiny apartment, they shouldn't be out on the streets but confined to a mental health facility or someplace where they can be taken care of.

The only street person I ever gave money to, when I could afford it, was a well known "crazy bag lady" living in the subway station where I lived in NYC. She did not beg. This was out in Queens County. I would give her a dollar when passing or bring her a hamburger and coffee from one of the stores on the Boulevard. She always sat or laid in the same place with her bags of rags and filthy blankets. She would mumble "Thanks." Any try at conversation would have her gibbering and mumbling. I couldn't understand what she said so never learned how she ended up there or where she was from. The poor soul, thin as a rail, looked to be in her 50s. It was hard to tell because of the filth and long hair half over her face. Geeze, I can still see her in my mind after all this time. I haven't though of these people in many many years. She wore black gloves with the finger tips missing and a long coat. She always had a scarf over her filthy hair.... I wonder what ever happened to her. After I got married I never used that station again. I knew she was no scammer like the fake vet in the wheelchair.

As you have noticed that is a large number of people on the streets
with apparent mental health problems. You will also notice that the
larger mental health institutions have either been closed or cut back to very small institutions, in every state.

In the early 1970's the US Supreme Court declared that a person was entitled to the least restrictive treatment and environment. This started
the closing of the institutions.

The Court felt that even a person that has been declared incompetent,
as long as they were NOT a danger to their self of others, has that right.

The states began closing large institutions and shipped people out and back into the communities. The communities did not know what to do. They had no treatment facilities, no funding and no one could force treatment on anyone, as it was the person's right to refuse, IF they
were not a clear danger to themselves or others.

Now we have this mess.
Thousands of people go untreated every day.

The justice scales always go back and forth until it finds a center-point.
The scales have now tipped way in favor of not treating those that
want to refuse treatment, but can not comprehend what treatment does.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
When "hit up" most often tell them I don't give money to my kids why would I give money to you, a stranger. Thus far it has left them without comment. This may not work for you but it does for this largish grumpy old white bearded guy. That said I have given several $ to those I felt needed a helping hand. The problem is I see daily the same guy (or gal) on the corner with a gas can asking for gas to get home. Those same people seem to have the funds to have large sodas, hamburgers, beers, & cigarettes but are asking for a hand out - I'll pass on those.
We get the gas can scam here, too. Along with some other doozies.
I was in Miami for some training, and was approached by a man on the sidewalk. I stopped to see what he wanted. He told me a very detailed story about being an out of work truck driver, and how he was between paychecks, and lost his wallet, and just needed to get to the bus station so he could get back home, and blah blah. It was a very touching story, and he actually cried at the end when he asked for money.
I declined, but complimented him on his acting abilities.

Closed Thread

Tags
disabled rvers, handicapped