Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2013, 12:13 AM   #85

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I cook at the local soup kitchen once in a while and I like most of the people who frequent the place. That said, I also agree there are a whole bunch of scammers walking this earth.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2013, 07:10 AM   #86
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
I cook at the local soup kitchen once in a while and I like most of the people who frequent the place. That said, I also agree there are a whole bunch of scammers walking this earth.
I'm in insurance restoration. You wouldn't believe how many scammers I run across in my profession!
Old 10-11-2013, 07:21 AM   #87

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
Nice thing about everything going to plastic....I never have real money on me anymore and don't feel guilty about turning them down.
NOT SO FAST THERE DOGPATCH!

Old 10-11-2013, 08:10 AM   #88
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post

OMG!

Here's another one. I went to a liqueur store the other day. Went around, picked up a few things we were low on, carried everything up to the counter, gave the girl my credit card, processed my purchase and all of a sudden a tip option came up! I said what? A tip for what? I did all the work! Needless to say, I bypassed the option. That was a new one for me.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:54 AM   #89

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I totally understand what you are saying. We just returned to the east coast after 3 months on the road. We have always found the most beggars in California and Oregon. I know for a fact some are very organized. We watched one guy change signs when he noticed a lot of veteran plates on RVs. I asked the store owner about him and she said he was out there every day asking for money to get home. On this trip I was approached by a young lady who said she was from another state and she and her boyfriend were needing gas money. He was standing next to the van. I pretended to be to be looking for a 20 and struck up a conversation. I told her I really needed a smoke and she promptly pulled out a fresh pack of smokes. I then told her if she had money for cigarettes she had money for food and gas. I went inside and she and her boyfriend were gone when I came out. On another occasion we were parked behind a restaurant just off the interstate. I noticed a lady sitting on a blanket on the grass with a cat in front of her car. She was smoking weed. I called the restaurant and told the manager about them and the manager said not to worry she would leave soon. It turns out her boyfriend was up the hill with a sign asking for money on the exit ramp. He came down later and they counted their cash and smoked some more weed then left. An hour later they were at the Walmart doing the same thing. We stopped at a Flying J and there were several run down campers sitting there. A man got out of one and asked for money to buy food. We gave him a bag full of food and water. He didn't like that. We were at another Flying J and noticed a woman and 2 young children living in a car. I asked the waitress about them and she said they were indeed homeless and there was a policeman who normally helped them get in a shelter but the policeman was out of town. I gave the waitress $100 and told her to make sure those people had food and access to the showers until that policeman came back. There are indeed people who need help but there are places they can get help. Instead of propping them up we should notify the authorities or point them to places that will help them.

I grew up in the south and did my share of hitch hiking as a boy. When I started driving I seldom passed a person needing a ride without picking them up. Then people started getting killed by these people. A good friend of mine drove a tow truck. He stopped to help someone with their hood up. They robbed and killed him and left him dead on the side of the highway. It bothers me to pass someone needing help. Now I'm very selective and cautious when I stop to help someone. Unfortunately we live in a very dangerous time.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #90

Hi,

since I don't know who individual beggars are (possibly frauds and/or criminals) and how they came to be in their situations, I no longer donate to individuals.

So that leaves the charitable organizations. Unfortunately due to some high profile corruption issues within some charities, I no longer donate food or money to these charities.

Be wary of not only individuals but also the charitable organizations - all of us donate to help those in need, not to line the pockets of frauds or "administrative expenses."

Now, I only donate to a very specific organization that is a first-responder for helping out during natural disasters in 3rd world regions (that don't have the resources to assist their own people). This organization is one that utilizes volunteers from the paramedic, medical, police, firefighters communities to travel (at their own expense) to assist in providing medical aid and potable water systems.

1st world countries like the US, Canada and most European countries do have the resources to assist victims of floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, etc. However, the Haiti earthquake victims and those of the 2005/2006 tsunami simply don't have the infrastructure to a. provide immediate medical support b. subsequent support for the victims.

When I lived in the Caribbean, the occasional beggar would knock on my apartment door. They never asked for money, they wanted & needed food. That's when you know the situation is authentic and no one is trying a scam and collect tax free money!

Steve
Old 10-11-2013, 09:55 AM   #91

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
Hard to tell nowadays. We were in Moses Lake WA about two years ago and befriended an old guy with his dogs and beat up old Chev product. We gave him a tad of money, two sleeping bags (it was cold and he was shivering and trying not to run his car) and bought him a whack of food for his puppies. Hopefully we weren't sucked but it sure didn't look that way at the time.

I agree with you that my normal reaction would have been "Get a job," his puppies were the kicker on this one.

I'm hearing that Possum, I once about 20 years ago was broke as could be, headed home for the day, saw a lady with her dog (the pup was in far better shape than she was physically) pushing a grocery cart along the sidewalk, not begging, just walking along, she had men's shoes on, way oversized, a great big coat, in otherwords, almost nothing for her own comfort. BUT the dog, she had 2 bowls in her cart, a bag of dog food, and what looked like an old ratty bed for the dog. She was not standing on the corner with a sign asking for help, she was moving along.

I had such a surge of emotion I turned back around the building and went through the drive through atm. At the time I had a little over 40 bucks in the bank, always was broke. I took 2 twenties out (I was gonna get paid the following day I think, so I'm not that much of a saint as it sounds), drove back around to her and the pup, by that time she had crossed Ballpark Way (a major north/south artery here in N Arlington) and was eastbound on the corner sidewalk, I stopped, rolled the passenger window down and handed her the two twenties. She was of course incredibly gracious, thankful, and said a small prayer was answered.

I told her the only reason I did it is because of the dog. I know it sounds horrible, if she had been by herself, I wouldn't have. Something about the pup with her AND the fact she was not on a corner, no signs, no nothing, was why I HAD to help her.

Then 7-9 years ago, I came across another similar situation in Austin, Texas a suffering man who had a Rottie or a Bullie pup, tattered tether,the guy was obviously starving and it was cold, he just got hollered at by the Austin PD (he was in a Walgreens Parking Lot-I watched this at the stop light) to move on, except I had cash in my pocket this time lol, watched this guy and his pup, not begging, but still in need, drove around the block, and handed him a 20.

Not telling this story for notoriety or that I'm a goody two shoes or anything like that, I'm telling the story because sometimes things aren't always what they seem.

Sometimes people 'out there' need a little help, even if its just a meal, or a few bucks for groceries or dog food, or just to let them know there are other human beings in this world that see their pain and suffering. I admit, I'm a sucker when it comes to pets along with these folks.

I know I've been suckered out of money by people before, asking for gas money, etc, in gas stations or parking lots. There have been many times I've said "sorry, don't have any money" and turned the person down, but in my mind it's better to err on the side of giving.

I believe these small bits of humanity and concern are all too scarce in today's me, me me world.

Anyway, long story short, don't let folks take advantage of you, but don't be afraid to help someone you see that really needs it either.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:28 AM   #92

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I was working I traveled from my home to the Boston area twice a year for my job. Once in the spring and again in the fall and I did this for 8 years. My first couple of trips I drove a company pickup truck that had over 100k miles and was not in the best of shape. In the first three years driving the beat up old pickup, I was never approached for a handout. When the pickup finally died my boss decided it was best for me to get a rental car for the trips. Due to the length of the trips and the amount of training material I had to take, he ok'd a full size rental car. My first trip in my nice new (Nissan Maxima) rental car was the spring of '98. I stopped at the same rest stop (it had a McDonalds) somewhere in NJ on every trip with the truck. This time I stopped at my usual rest stop and as I walked back to my rental car with my burger and fries, no sooner did I get the car door open and step in the car, there was a scruffy looking fellow standing on the other side of the door telling me a sob story of his family and a broken down car that he needed money to fix. Since I have been a mechanic for over 20 years I ask him for him to take me to the car and lets see what is wrong, and if needed I'll go get the parts to get him going. Boy did the back pedaling start. Every other word was, um, until he finally refused my offer as he walked away. I ate my lunch and went on my way. I made the same trip in the fall of the same year and stopped at the same rest stop. I had a new Volvo rental this time. Sure enough the same guy met me at the door of the car. When I told the guy that he told me the exact same sob story 6 months earlier he quickly turned and walked away. Over the next few years I saw the same guy three more times and he approached me twice more.

Now I am very suspicious and I will not give money to anyone. I still offer help and have been taken up on my offer twice. Once a lady's car would not start. I jump started the car and she went on her way. The other time a young man said his car was overheating. When he started the car there was a small hole in the top radiator hose. I wrapped it with electrical tape, left the radiator cap loose on the first notch, filled it with water from the McDonalds faucet, told him to get the hose replaced asap, and sent him on his way. Both of these folks were extremely grateful for the help even though I didn't give them a dime.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:24 PM   #93

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
I give to those who do not ask, but appear to need.

Bruce
X2 Bruce, that's a great way.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:17 PM   #94

Our daughter's church put together a bag of things like bottled water, a toothbrush and tooth paste, new socks, disposable razors, snacks, etc and each of the congregation took several to hand out to beggars. When they handed them out, the beggars got angry! So there you go, they aren't interested in anything but money!
Old 10-11-2013, 04:35 PM   #95

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgalex
Our daughter's church put together a bag of things like bottled water, a toothbrush and tooth paste, new socks, disposable razors, snacks, etc and each of the congregation took several to hand out to beggars. When they handed them out, the beggars got angry! So there you go, they aren't interested in anything but money!
The items would have been welcomed by a shelter, group home or Veterans organization. It was a great thing to do but the execution was flawed IMHO. Folks who want help seek it. I hope the congregation didn't come to the same conclusion you did. They should look for an organization to help. My office collects hotel shampoo - soap - mouthwash etc for a Vet Center and makes sandwiches for another. You can't lead a horse to water, but you can find plenty of horses ready to drink at a pond.
YMMV
Old 10-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #96

Monaco Owners Club
I recently had a fund raising phone call from the California Professional Firefighters organization looking for donations. I committed for $25 and they sated that I would get an envelope in the mail to send in my donation. After the phone call, I decided to research exactly what this organization was all about. I quickly determine that they have an outside company do their fundraising for them and that the outside firm collects 80% of the money and the California Firefighters get about 20%. I was appalled to discover such terrible statistics.

When I received the donation envelope I wrote a check for $5 with a letter of explanation of what I had discovered and told them they should be ashamed of themselves for such ludicrous overhead charges versus having most of the money going to the firefighters who really need it for their jobs.

I explained that I would personally give the leftover $20 directly to my local firehouse in the neighborhood and that they should NOT call me ever again.

It is terrible what profits are made off of people who do fundraising over the phone. It's getting so that I now screen all of my calls and if it's anyone of importance they will leave a message if not they won't.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 10-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #97

I would actually give this guy a couple of bucks. Wouldn't use the card machine though. He's not a "beggar". He's a performing street musician. MAny of them here are quite talented and good to have around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post

Old 10-11-2013, 06:19 PM   #98

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by datrbone8 View Post
I would actually give this guy a couple of bucks. Wouldn't use the card machine though. He's not a "beggar". He's a performing street musician. MAny of them here are quite talented and good to have around
Yeah, me too. I have a soft place for street performers having come from there myself. I'd toss a fiver in his hat without hesitation.
Closed Thread

Tags
disabled rvers, handicapped