Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2013, 10:09 AM   #113

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorancher View Post
Great post. Very well said. Some still think they suceeded by skill. When actually life is a draw. Some have been more fortunate than others either financially, medically or both.
Almost all people ultimately find themselves in a position that was determined by the decisions they made along the way. Almost every person who makes good decisions and works hard achieves success, whereas almost every person who makes bad decisions and/or isn't willing to work for their success ultimately fails.

Sure, individual fortune (luck) plays in to the equation, good or bad. But it doesn't play a big role in aggregate outcomes.

People can make good decisions and work hard, and have a run of bad luck that sinks them. Conversely, people can do everything possible to ruin their own lives and end up hitting the jackpot anyway. But these are fringe cases.

One thing that is crucial to success is early guidance and role models. Because how can a young person be expected to make good decisions and have good work ethics without it? That is the critical missing piece.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2013, 08:51 AM   #114

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
Almost all people ultimately find themselves in a position that was determined by the decisions they made along the way. Almost every person who makes good decisions and works hard achieves success, whereas almost every person who makes bad decisions and/or isn't willing to work for their success ultimately fails.

Sure, individual fortune (luck) plays in to the equation, good or bad. But it doesn't play a big role in aggregate outcomes.

People can make good decisions and work hard, and have a run of bad luck that sinks them. Conversely, people can do everything possible to ruin their own lives and end up hitting the jackpot anyway. But these are fringe cases.

One thing that is crucial to success is early guidance and role models. Because how can a young person be expected to make good decisions and have good work ethics without it? That is the critical missing piece.
Absolutely agree. X2

What I realized when I left my little 'bubble' in SW Kansas and went to college, I began to see the world and the people in it through reality, not conclusive thinking that I was brought up on. It began do dawn on me that no matter how bad I thought I had it, there were people who went through far more suffering than I did. People who never had the chance to finish high school, never had the chance to go to college, never had the chance to try to find a career, job, home, etc, for many different reasons, physical limitations, mental limitations, life events that stripped their independence down to nothing but suffering, on and on.

Every person's life is individual and unique. There are no 'catch all' statements, opinions, or judgments that apply to everyone. It is very sad to see the scammers out scamming folks, the truly humbled and starving, the physically or mentally challenged, the crooks, the entire situation is very sad and depressing. What one does with their own resources and the assistance they can afford or not is just as individual and unique.

Judgement is for the man upstairs. (Not trying to be religious here, that's taboo, but that's how I feel.)

Old 10-14-2013, 09:06 AM   #115
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post

I think you hit the nail on the head Ramblin.

Personally, I had to start all over 12 years ago because I didn't protect myself in a business decision. Lost everything. Thankfully, I had a supportive wife, the grace of someone above and the background experience to get me back on top.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #116

Monaco Owners Club
Earlier this morning when checking the updates this thread had a couple unneeded post deleted and it was CLOSED.

I think people need to go back and start from the beginning with the first post and stick to the topic.

Otherwise may I suggest that the thread be permanently closed this time.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 10-14-2013, 12:06 PM   #117

There is a Deaf guy that runs around our city locally begging for money in his car. He drives up to people in store parking lots and asks for some money to buy gas to get home. His note says he lives in the next town over 35 miles away. Problem is he's been doing this for years, it's literally his job as i guess it's hard for him to find one (understandably). He's hit me up 3 times in the last couple years. I usually give him a buck or 2, not because i'm stupid but because it's a tough economy and he's deaf which is a double whammy against him looking for work.

Give a few dollars for charity even if the person is trying to scam you. Some people do it because they must, not because they're a bad person. Heck the biggest scammers are supposedly well known charities like the Red Cross. The president of the Red Cross gets roughly a a million dollars a year in salary depending on how many natural disasters there are that year and how much she can get people to give. Meanwhile the president of the Salvation army gets like $18,000 a year, severely underpaid IMO they should give themselves at least $50k. President of United Way also makes a ton and the founder of wounded warriors gets about $350k a year.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #118

Carolina Campers
As I have found before, it is just fine to post very negative remarks about the poor. Talk in a hateful way about those that are the most desperate in our country.

God forbid if you should try to post something productive, something compassionate, or make an attempt to provide a constructive approach to helping those in need.

Tags
disabled rvers, handicapped