Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2013, 11:11 AM   #29

National RV Owners Club
Coming out of the local Walmart with my Granddaughter we spotted a "homeless Vet" needing help. My GD says he doesn't need help, I asked her what makes you think that? Her reply, did you see the Iphone he has, it's not cheap. BTW, she's 12.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2013, 11:36 AM   #30
laj

smart kid. somebody raised her right. good job!
Old 10-05-2013, 11:57 AM   #31

Carolina Campers
True story;

An EVP of a bank in FL is making a good living and looks forward to retirement in a few years. The economy takes a downward spiral and he is told that he had to lay off most of his employees. Then a few weeks later he is also fired.

He desperately tries to find another job, and finds it is a full time job doing that.

He puts his house up for sale, only to find that thousands of homes flood the market at the same time and his house is now worth far less than he owes on it.

He knows that things will improve at some point and with his qualifications, years of experience and education that a job will be out there.

He tries to hold on but soon realizes that he has to dig into his retirement savings or lose his house. Months go by he realizes that just to hold on he has depleted all his retirement savings. His house is eventually repossessed.

In a last ditch effort to make the family feel normal he takes them out for breakfast. He just happens to go to the same place his old boss took his family out to. After eating, he goes to pay his bill and finds out that his old boss has picked up the tab. He can't feel any lower than he feels at this moment.

He has no money left, but his wife finds a job out of state, but how can they get there. After exhausting all other options he has no choice but to become a beggar.

After making their way to another state his wife gets a job. After many more months he is eventually get a job. It takes many more years to get back on top.

I know this is a true story. It is mine.

You don't have a clue until you have experienced the desperation and helplessness of those you criticize.

I hope you never have to experience what some others have to go through.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #32

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler of california View Post
Where on the I5 did this happen?

Nick
We also stopped at a rest area on I5 near Eugene OR. Can't remember the exact location, but there is a VFW coffee stand outside the restrooms. There were several people with cardboard signs outside each restroom. I might be wrong but I got the impression they were organized and doing business rather than genuinely begging for gas money like their signs said.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #33

Freightliner Owners Club
Difficult subject- There are people who are desperate in this economy, even as posted here, hard times can hit anyone. It's deplorable when some do find their "job" is to scam people out of their money. There used to be pride and integrity stressed, people had to be really down to consider charity or begging. Now even the government encourages handouts and expands the eligibility for assistance to the point it is senseless to seek employment.

Most charities have reported contributions have decreased significantly because more people feel the government already provides.
Overall, people used to be much more generous,-- now I still help where I can, but I'm much more cautious about helping, more suspicious of those asking. and that's a shame.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #34

Carolina Campers
People of means have always looked down on those that don't have anything.

When the Queen of France said; "Let them eat cake", she did not mean to throw a party. She meant they only deserve dry biscuits.

People are proud to be better than all those others...
Old 10-05-2013, 12:33 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry, after living in the Los Angeles are for over 15 years, I've seen and experienced it ALL.

I quit handing money out because there were just TOO many of them.

However, I will now give people any take-home left-over food or I will go buy them food at the corner deli. Most "homeless" people that I had encountered only wanted the money to buy drugs or booze and didn't want the food handout.

So now I just ignore them. Sometimes I will utter inside the car "get a job" but even those are hard to find these days too by the hardworking people who are looking for them.

Now being on a fixed income, I count my pennies and what little discretionary income that I have. I don't want to end up holding a sign on the corner with thousands of cars ignoring me.

Yes, I will stoop over to pickup dropped pennies on the ground. I also pickup returnable bottles and cans; now that even helps the environment.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 10-05-2013, 12:34 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah2 View Post
I work at a food pantry at church. Believe me, in the blink of an eye your life can change thru no fault of your own.
If I give to someone, I cannot judge them. I don't know their story. They could be a scammer or truly destitute. Either way, they have a problem.
I trust my gut and give without regret. I am fortunate but I try to never forget that it could be me in their shoes.
I totally agree. Scammer or truly in need, "there but for the grace of God go I."
Old 10-05-2013, 12:46 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you are truly hungry, you will accept my offer to buy you a meal. If you truly need gas, you will accept my offer to put some gas in your tank. If you will truly work for food, you will accept my offer to weed my yard for money.

I am sorry for bypassing those who are truly in need.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:47 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
I totally agree. Scammer or truly in need, "there but for the grace of God go I."
X2 ... thanks to those of you that are willing to help others ... without question.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:10 PM   #39

Ford Super Duty Owner
I worked at Delta Air Lines with a guy whose wife was a builder. She always got him to do the cleanup after the house was finished. She became successful and he was cleaning houses several days a week. Finally he told her he had enough of the cleaning. He said it was almost like having two jobs. He said she needed to hire someone to as a cleaner. She told him there was a guy who stood on the corner near their house and held a sign that said I will work for food. She said I will hire him. He laughed at her. That guy just wants money he said. Sure enough she went by a couple of days later and offered him the job. He told her to pick him in an hour. She went back and he was not there. He moved to a different corner.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
OK, back to the older guy we met in WA near the Walmart in Moses Lake. If his story was bogus he should be writing tear jerker movies aka chick flics. His story was compelling to my wife and I so we gave, his pooches were loved and in need of food and they were grateful for what we bought for them to eat. The two sleeping bags were surplus to our needs at that time. The lunch we bought him (local fast food but I don't remember which) was wolfed down as I guess he was as hungry as he looked.
He was a vet and he could be living in a home but according to him the bureaucrats wouldn't allow him to keep his beloved puppies (Boston Terriers I think) in the old folks home. His story was compelling and believable and we chose to believe. If he had a slightly better day because of what we did super, if it was a scam we don't chose to believe that.

I have a friend that was a successful business man back east in Ontario and now he's on a disability pension here in town. Not his fault that the automakers got hit so hard but his diemaking business went for a crap and he had to leave because of it.

Not everyone is out to scam, in the slightest, albeit there are lots of scammers.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #41

Living in Dickinson, ND. in the oil fields. Cop told us, in the self defense class, one panhandler was making $300 a day.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:25 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Sorry, after living in the Los Angeles are for over 15 years, I've seen and experienced it ALL. I quit handing money out because there were just TOO many of them. However, I will now give people any take-home left-over food or I will go buy them food at the corner deli. Most "homeless" people that I had encountered only wanted the money to buy drugs or booze and didn't want the food handout. So now I just ignore them. Sometimes I will utter inside the car "get a job" but even those are hard to find these days too by the hardworking people who are looking for them. Now being on a fixed income, I count my pennies and what little discretionary income that I have. I don't want to end up holding a sign on the corner with thousands of cars ignoring me. Yes, I will stoop over to pickup dropped pennies on the ground. I also pickup returnable bottles and cans; now that even helps the environment. Dr4Film ----- Richard
I too worked for a long time all around the LA Area and got callused over the homeless begging for money . Now retired also , I pretty much don't give away my money.
Closed Thread

Tags
disabled rvers, handicapped