Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2012, 09:52 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Kathryn:

You asked about the differences with a tag axle. We are full, full timers and when we first started out we had a 40 ft. motorhome without the tag axle. We thought it was a good move for saving money when it came time to replace tires. Well,...we found out that without the tag axle, there's a big difference between the weight you can carry, and you'll find after full timing awhile, you would appreciate that extra carrying capacity. So, in addition to an improved ride you'll have with a tag (as mentioned above), the significant difference, we feel, is being able to have more flexibility in carrying capacity. Ya might think this is unimportant to you, but you'll likely discover after full timing for a bit that you'll wish ya had the tag.

Steve & Lynette

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2012, 06:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
In my search for the perfect RV, I knew that if you had a MH over 40' in length that you could not stay in many of the campgrounds and resorts, or at most of the State and Federal park and wilderness areas. I figured that was okay, I could just drive thru and stay somewhere close. Then I found out you can't even drive the larger MHs on many state roads INTO the park areas, and many scenic routes like 101 on the California coast are restricted against any vehicle over 40'.

But there are a couple of 42' plans I really like!!! And since I will be living in it full-time, I would think the bigger the better.

How about it? Do you folks with the bigger units find those restrictions ... well ... restricting? Or do they not affect your travels that much?

Let's go back to my original post ... I agree - full time means the bigger the better, tag axle is better than not, more storage space is great, I could choose to ignore road restrictions since tickets are rare and I could always claim "ignorance" ...

Several of you posted no problems with 40' ... my actual concern was restrictions for OVER 40' on the roads, in the parks and federal lands, and even in MANY campgrounds, both public and private. Anyone have any experience with that?

Thx.

Kathryn

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #17

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
we've had our 41' DSDP and have never really had a problem going or staying where we want, realizing that older Forest Service and state campgrounds are not big enough. Really not a limiting factor though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:12 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Some one correct me if I'm wrong but I believe I read an article about national parks increasing their limits due to the popularity of the larger rigs. Now days you can get 47' 5ers. My rig is a 40 with an 18' trailer which puts me just shy of 65' which is the legal limit in many states. You may want to consider that as well. We only stay at private campgrounds. Most state and national parks rarely have adequate hook ups and can restrict your length of stay. We typically stay places for a month or two. IMHO get the bigger rig if you love it, you will make it work and be fine. And yes some stuff is just not meant for rv's, I wouldnt do going to the sun in a 32'.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:12 AM   #19

Solo Rvers Club
I am 40ft + 20ft and research the roads I plan to travel. I have also heard about big rigs going to a campground that supposedly can handle them, only to find that they will ruin their paint on tree branches or have to disconnect the trailer/toad to get in. Here is a helpful site I bookmarked for myself.

Big Rig Resorts - Available Resorts
Old 06-16-2012, 11:20 AM   #20

Heartland RV Club
We are staying at Cotton Hill RV in Ga. next weekend ,the max size is 36 ft. we are just under 41

Wayne
www.mudflapscampingclub.com
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallyrver View Post
We are staying at Cotton Hill RV in Ga. next weekend ,the max size is 36 ft. we are just under 41

Wayne
Did you make reservations? What did they say about your length?

Kathryn

Old 06-16-2012, 02:28 PM   #22

40 Feet...more than enough

After several years of planning our RV purchase we now own a 40' Beaver Santiam diesel pusher. This was a major compromise as we had set a 35' max limit for fears of being turned away from many government campgrounds. The reason for the larger size was the extra bay door in the basement storage compartment. For any fulltimer or person traveling for extended periods of time, it's the storage and tank capacities that matter...not livable space. I would never...I repeat ever purchase over 40' and exclude myself from the campgrounds of some of the most beautiful places on earth. The National Parks, Monuments and Forests are the "Crown Jewels" of our country and to exclude them from any RV expericence would be a crime. Why even own an RV if your not in search of this country's beauty.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:03 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavasuRox View Post
For any fulltimer or person traveling for extended periods of time, it's the storage and tank capacities that matter...not livable space. I would never...I repeat ever purchase over 40' and exclude myself from the campgrounds of some of the most beautiful places on earth. The National Parks, Monuments and Forests are the "Crown Jewels" of our country and to exclude them from any RV expericence would be a crime. Why even own an RV if your not in search of this country's beauty.
This really points out how needs vary among us.

Sure, we love the storage provided by our 40DP. But, the four slides and livable floor space was a bigger selling point for us than the storage room. Then again, we were full time with three dogs.

As for " Why even own an RV if your not in search of this country's beauty"... well, I don't think owning a big rig is inconsistent with enjoying this country's beauty. We've stayed at CGs nearby many State and National Parks and used our toad to enjoy their beauty.

Just another point of view.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:38 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
Ah, yes, I don't think we were referring to the section in downtown San Francisco as I don't know who in their right mind would take a large vehicle through there , but I stand corrected.

LOL
BlueOx Aladdin Toads: Tahoe or 2500HD, BrakeBuddy Classic
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #25

Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Did you make reservations? What did they say about your length?

Kathryn
We have stayed there four times before, you can reserve a site . we have all the good ones marked .
www.mudflapscampingclub.com
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:39 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
This really points out how needs vary among us.

Sure, we love the storage provided by our 40DP. But, the four slides and livable floor space was a bigger selling point for us than the storage room. Then again, we were full time with three dogs.

As for " Why even own an RV if your not in search of this country's beauty"... well, I don't think owning a big rig is inconsistent with enjoying this country's beauty. We've stayed at CGs nearby many State and National Parks and used our toad to enjoy their beauty.

Just another point of view.

Rick
Rick, but your rig is only 40' and that is fine for most places. It is the 41-45ft range that has the road restrictions and such.

Kathryn

Old 06-16-2012, 11:53 PM   #27

Kathryn, where do you inquire about road, camp, restrictions? I have never seen a sign ever regarding MH length ie MH over 40 ft not allowed. I have heard about campsite restrictions but I assume if you make reservations they would tell u then. We never do state parks and I have seen some big rigs at Walmart.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:39 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Rick, but your rig is only 40' and that is fine for most places. It is the 41-45ft range that has the road restrictions and such.

Kathryn
I'm unfamiliar with road restrictions for 41 to 45 foot rigs being a significant issue too.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote